Football and Other Sports

Ram

Given Tom Crew's Comments, I wanted to get some thoughts on a related topic. These questions are concerning potential D1 prospects.

Is it better for a D1 football player to play baseball and basketball, or lift weights year around, run track, and attend football camps?

Is your answer the same for players who play all football positions? ie: running backs vs offensive linemen.

Is it better for a D1 basketball player to play baseball and football, or play AAU and interleague games year around?

For D1 football players, is playing other sports worth the risk of possible injury associated with competitive sports?

For D1 basketball player, is playing football worth the risk of possible injury associated with football?

I have not read his article. Did he discuss grades.

It cracks me up how all these parents can pay all this money for camps and AAU basketball and they wont dish out any money for a tutor for their kid, or they wont emphasize the academics. Many of these outstanding kids who go to the camps and play in these basketball leagues will be lucky to make it out of high school. I see it everyday. That is why Cincinnati Harmony is becoming the most popular place to go after HS in this area

It is not that difficult to make As and Bs in high school these days. Show up, be polite, act like u care, and you will probably earn at least a C. Alot of kids who dont get scholarships to D1 schools may not have the grades to get into a D3 school because the smaller schools have tougher criteria to get in.

As far as playing one sport, I think a kid has to do what he chooses to do with no parent or coach pressure. If he LOVES three sports, then he should play three sports. If he LOVES one sport, then he should focus on one.

If I was a Basketball coach, i would want my players to play football. MOST BB coaches do NOT empahasize the weight room (what a shame) and the FB coaches will make their BB stronger in their programs and they will be more physical on the court because of playing on the field.

BB coaches think the weightroom is going to mess up their jump shot and baseball coaches think the weightroom is going to mess up their curve ball. what a SHAME. College BB and baseball players lift weights, believe it or not.

other sports will make football players better football players. for example, wrestling will emphasize mental and physical toughness and BB will make a football player more athletic.

I think the bottom line is this: If you expect to get a scholarship, you better just have the God Given abilities and characteristics. Second, you better have some GRADES!

I'm a believer that play several sports. But again that's my opinion. My son chose not to do that and played one sport in high school. It worked out for him but I really never thought putting all your hopes on one thing was the best way to go. Like all eggs in one basket. I believe you should have multi options that way if one doesn't come through then maybe something else will. Now some people will disagree with that and tell kids to focus on being very good at one sport and it will be the best way. I can name several times that didn't come true. So hear it is, do well in school and make the best possible grades young kids because that is the one constance that you can control so start there and then focus on sports as iceing on the cake if you so happen to be offered and accept a scholarship to do the "iceing on the cake". Good luck!!!

I have seen first hand how running track has helped our soccer players and our football players. Track is a sport that works on speed and endurance and we also work on footwork and jumping. Tell me a sport that this would not be beneficial in?

The throwers (shot put, discus, turbojav) lift weights with the football players since they are mostly football players.

I think that young people need to have a variety of activities so that they work out different muscle groups. We see too many injuries today because of overuse. 11 months and 2 weeks of pounding on the knees on the basketball court is not good for 14-18 year olds.

I have seen first hand how running track has helped our soccer players and our football players. Track is a sport that works on speed and endurance and we also work on footwork and jumping. Tell me a sport that this would not be beneficial in?

The throwers (shot put, discus, turbojav) lift weights with the football players since they are mostly football players.

I think that young people need to have a variety of activities so that they work out different muscle groups. We see too many injuries today because of overuse. 11 months and 2 weeks of pounding on the knees on the basketball court is not good for 14-18 year olds.

I know it may not be a popular opinion, but I agree with you, over use is a concern. And secondary sports are very beneficial to players of the major sports. This is not for all athletes, but at least some. I think an Offensive Lineman with a bright future,IMO, would benefit more from weightlifting and track then playing other major sports. Competition is so high for college positions, that the strength and conditioning will pay huge in the future.

I know it may not be a popular opinion, but I agree with you, over use is a concern. And secondary sports are very beneficial to players of the major sports. This is not for all athletes, but at least some. I think an Offensive Lineman with a bright future,IMO, would benefit more from weightlifting and track then playing other major sports. Competition is so high for college positions, that the strength and conditioning will pay huge in the future.

I agree with every posted opinion in this thread so I won't repeat what others have already said about the physical side of the game. I will speak to the mental approach to the game, whatever game it may be.

I have always said and pushed my son to play more than one sport. I think kids that consentrate on one sport run the risk of burn out by the time they get to be Juniors and Seniors in High School.

I have seen it happen. Little Bobby or Suzy is going to be the next best Basketball player since MJ. They play for their Rec League team. They play for their grade school team. They play for their High School team. All the while playing in spring/summer AAU leagues in the off season. Basically playing year around non stop.

Give them the opportunity to see how they perform in other sports and maybe they will see that is not their sport. Kids today are being forced to make this type of decision way to early. It's never to late to decide to be the best at whatever you want to be. MJ is a prime example of that, he was cut from his high school team as a junior.

best at whatever you want to be. MJ is a prime example of that, he was cut from his high school team as a junior.

Great example. Everyone thought MJ was going to be a baseball player. Until he was cut from the basketball team and decided he was going to work on basketball so he could make the team. What a drive.

Is it better for a D1 football player to play baseball and basketball, or lift weights year around, run track, and attend football camps?

1) IF HE'S GOOD ENOUGH IN BASEBALL OR BASKETBALL TO POTENTIALLY GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO EARN MONEY FOR COLLEGE PLAYING THAT SPORT, THEN HE SHOULD PLAY. BY THE WAY, HE SHOULD STILL LIFT WEIGHTS (SHOW ME AN NBA OR DIVISION 1 COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYER THAT DOESN'T!). MAYBE NOT THE SAME WORKOUT HE WOULD IF HE WEREN'T IN ANOTHER SPORT, BUT SHOULD STILL LIFT AND TRY TO GET STRONGER.

2) IF HE'S GOOD ENOUGH TO HELP HIS BBALL OR BBALL TEAM WIN AND HE ENJOYS PLAYING THE SPORT, HE SHOULD PLAY. STILL SHOULD LIFT.

3) IF HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO REALLY HELP ANOTHER SPORT WIN, BUT IS THINKING "I'LL PLAY TO STAY IN SHAPE," HE SHOULD NOT DO THAT. IT KEEPS A SPOT FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAT COULD EVENTUALLY HELP THAT SPORT AND STAYING 'IN SHAPE' (i.e., the kind of running shape you get in playing basketball) THAT FAR AWAY FROM NEXT FOOTBALL SEASON IS OVERRATED. WOULD BE BETTER FOR ALL INVOLVED FOR HIM TO A) TRAIN SPECIFICALLY FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL -- especially working on improving his weaknesses; OR B) WRESTLE INSTEAD OF BASKETBALL/TRACK INSTEAD OF BASEBALL.

Is your answer the same for players who play all football positions? ie: running backs vs offensive linemen.

YES. IN EITHER CASE THOUGH, IF THEY REALLY ARE A POTENTIAL D-1 FOOTBALL KID, THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY STAY STRONG OR GET STRONGER AND EAT IN A WAY THAT COMPENSATES FOR THE HUGE CALORIE EXPENDITURE INVOLVED IN THEIR OTHER SPORT.

Is it better for a D1 basketball player to play baseball and football, or play AAU and interleague games year around?

MULTIPLE STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT A TEENAGER DOING ONLY ONE SPORT ALL YEAR ACTUALLY EXPERIENCES LESS IMPROVEMENT IN THAT SPORT THAN KIDS THAT PLAY OTHER SPORTS. BURNOUT AND BOREDOM ARE THE REASONS -- ACTUALLY MAKES THE ATHLETE LESS INTERESTED AND THUS, LESS INTENSE WHILE WORKING AT THEIR SPORT SO THEY DON'T GET THE "BANG FOR THE BUCK" YOU'D THINK THEY WOULD WORKING YEAR-ROUND.

THIS IS PART OF WHY FOOTBALL COACHES DON'T GET ALL BENT OUT OF SHAPE ABOUT THE RULE THAT WE CAN'T USE A BALL FOR TRAINING IN THE OFF-SEASON. IT'S GOOD FOR THEM TO TRAIN IN WAYS OTHER THAN DOING THE SPECIFIC SPORT!

For D1 football players, is playing other sports worth the risk of possible injury associated with competitive sports?

DEPENDENT ON WHAT THAT INDIVIDUAL WOULD WANT TO GET OUT OF THAT OTHER SPORT. IF HE'S A VALUABLE CONTRIBUTOR TO THAT OTHER TEAM AND GETS VALUE OUT OF PLAYING IT, I'D SAY IT'S WORTH THE RISK. HOW MANY "CAREER-ENDING" INJURIES ARE YOU GOING TO GET PLAYING ANY HS SPORT ANYWAY!? EVEN KIDS WITH ACL TEARS COME BACK JUST AS STRONG A YEAR LATER.

For D1 basketball player, is playing football worth the risk of possible injury associated with football?

MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT HERE, IN THAT A PLAYER THAT GETS HURT IN FOOTBALL SEASON MIGHT MISS SOME OF HIS BASKETBALL SEASON. BUT AGAIN, IF THE PLAYER IS A POTENTIAL FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP PLAYER TOO, HE MIGHT BE RISKING MORE BY NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL -- THERE ARE MANY MORE FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS OUT THERE THAN BKBALL; WHAT IF HE CHOOSES NOT TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND PUTS ALL HIS EGGS IN THE BASKETBALL "BASKET," THEN GETS NO BASKETBALL OFFER? SHOULD'VE TAKEN THE RISK OF INJURY TO PLAY FOOTBALL.

1) IF HE'S GOOD ENOUGH IN BASEBALL OR BASKETBALL TO POTENTIALLY GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO EARN MONEY FOR COLLEGE PLAYING THAT SPORT, THEN HE SHOULD PLAY. BY THE WAY, HE SHOULD STILL LIFT WEIGHTS (SHOW ME AN NBA OR DIVISION 1 COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYER THAT DOESN'T!). MAYBE NOT THE SAME WORKOUT HE WOULD IF HE WEREN'T IN ANOTHER SPORT, BUT SHOULD STILL LIFT AND TRY TO GET STRONGER.

2) IF HE'S GOOD ENOUGH TO HELP HIS BBALL OR BBALL TEAM WIN AND HE ENJOYS PLAYING THE SPORT, HE SHOULD PLAY. STILL SHOULD LIFT.

3) IF HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO REALLY HELP ANOTHER SPORT WIN, BUT IS THINKING "I'LL PLAY TO STAY IN SHAPE," HE SHOULD NOT DO THAT. IT KEEPS A SPOT FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAT COULD EVENTUALLY HELP THAT SPORT AND STAYING 'IN SHAPE' (i.e., the kind of running shape you get in playing basketball) THAT FAR AWAY FROM NEXT FOOTBALL SEASON IS OVERRATED. WOULD BE BETTER FOR ALL INVOLVED FOR HIM TO A) TRAIN SPECIFICALLY FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL -- especially working on improving his weaknesses; OR B) WRESTLE INSTEAD OF BASKETBALL/TRACK INSTEAD OF BASEBALL.

YES. IN EITHER CASE THOUGH, IF THEY REALLY ARE A POTENTIAL D-1 FOOTBALL KID, THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY STAY STRONG OR GET STRONGER AND EAT IN A WAY THAT COMPENSATES FOR THE HUGE CALORIE EXPENDITURE INVOLVED IN THEIR OTHER SPORT.

MULTIPLE STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT A TEENAGER DOING ONLY ONE SPORT ALL YEAR ACTUALLY EXPERIENCES LESS IMPROVEMENT IN THAT SPORT THAN KIDS THAT PLAY OTHER SPORTS. BURNOUT AND BOREDOM ARE THE REASONS -- ACTUALLY MAKES THE ATHLETE LESS INTERESTED AND THUS, LESS INTENSE WHILE WORKING AT THEIR SPORT SO THEY DON'T GET THE "BANG FOR THE BUCK" YOU'D THINK THEY WOULD WORKING YEAR-ROUND.

THIS IS PART OF WHY FOOTBALL COACHES DON'T GET ALL BENT OUT OF SHAPE ABOUT THE RULE THAT WE CAN'T USE A BALL FOR TRAINING IN THE OFF-SEASON. IT'S GOOD FOR THEM TO TRAIN IN WAYS OTHER THAN DOING THE SPECIFIC SPORT!

DEPENDENT ON WHAT THAT INDIVIDUAL WOULD WANT TO GET OUT OF THAT OTHER SPORT. IF HE'S A VALUABLE CONTRIBUTOR TO THAT OTHER TEAM AND GETS VALUE OUT OF PLAYING IT, I'D SAY IT'S WORTH THE RISK. HOW MANY "CAREER-ENDING" INJURIES ARE YOU GOING TO GET PLAYING ANY HS SPORT ANYWAY!? EVEN KIDS WITH ACL TEARS COME BACK JUST AS STRONG A YEAR LATER.

MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT HERE, IN THAT A PLAYER THAT GETS HURT IN FOOTBALL SEASON MIGHT MISS SOME OF HIS BASKETBALL SEASON. BUT AGAIN, IF THE PLAYER IS A POTENTIAL FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP PLAYER TOO, HE MIGHT BE RISKING MORE BY NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL -- THERE ARE MANY MORE FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS OUT THERE THAN BKBALL; WHAT IF HE CHOOSES NOT TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND PUTS ALL HIS EGGS IN THE BASKETBALL "BASKET," THEN GETS NO BASKETBALL OFFER? SHOULD'VE TAKEN THE RISK OF INJURY TO PLAY FOOTBALL.

Very good well thought out post.

As a player (back in the dark ages...lol) I was a multisport athelete and earned a college scholarship in Football. As a High School coach, we encouraged players to be active in other sports, especially wrestling and track for our football guys. As a college coach I leaned toward recruiting kids who played more than one sport and yet kept grades up (a good predicter of discipline at the college level btw.) Thus, all in all I'm in favor of multi sports at the HS level. Also, remember, these are teens and really the last time in life you play for fun is really at the HS level.

I'm a believer that play several sports. But again that's my opinion. My son chose not to do that and played one sport in high school. It worked out for him but I really never thought putting all your hopes on one thing was the best way to go. Like all eggs in one basket. I believe you should have multi options that way if one doesn't come through then maybe something else will. Now some people will disagree with that and tell kids to focus on being very good at one sport and it will be the best way. I can name several times that didn't come true. So hear it is, do well in school and make the best possible grades young kids because that is the one constance that you can control so start there and then focus on sports as iceing on the cake if you so happen to be offered and accept a scholarship to do the "iceing on the cake". Good luck!!!

Great post. This was my exact experience. It worked out for my son also but as you said, there are several instances where it did not.

During the recruiting process with my son, every first question from a college coach was, "What is your GPA & ACT score"? It wasn't what was your reception yardage or how many TD's did you have. A few coaches stated they didn't care about HS stats as they know some are padded. As mentioned, the smaller schools such as D3 and NAIA have strict academic guidelines for each student/athlete to follow and if a kid wants to play at the next level he must work as hard in the classroom as he does on the field. Football doesn't last forever so making the grades should be the primary concern.

Best thing to do is play football and wrestle. Less likely to get a basketball joint injury and helps your players learn to manipulate other players bodies to your advantage.

I also would add Spring track to this list. A lot of your college WR's are usually sprinters or hurdlers on the track team.

I think high school lineman can benefit from track also as it helps build endurance and can add speed or quickness.