Notre Dame to B1G?

Voice of Reason

There is a news story out that the B1G conference is ending their contract with ESPN after the 2023 season and B1G is negotiating with multiple networks - INCLUDING NBC.  Is this the precursor to Notre Dame moving to the B1G conference? I think one of the hangups on Notre Dame joining a conference over the years has been their lucrative NBC contract for football. I could see that relationship being part of these TV negotiations.

I think it's just a matter of time now. I'm not sure what their contract with the ACC says or if they have an easy buyout. Notre Dame to B1G is a no brainer in my mind. Several natural rivals are in the B1G and with NBC now having the rights to Saturday night prime time B1G games I think this happens quickly.

5 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I think it's just a matter of time now. I'm not sure what their contract with the ACC says or if they have an easy buyout. Notre Dame to B1G is a no brainer in my mind. Several natural rivals are in the B1G and with NBC now having the rights to Saturday night prime time B1G games I think this happens quickly.

Wasn't the ACC contract only for 2020? 

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Several natural rivals are in the B1G and with NBC now having the rights to Saturday night prime time B1G games I think this happens quickly.

Notre Dame still plays most of their NBC games in the afternoon. They could easily schedule games with rivals USC and Michigan or Big Ten teams like Ohio State or Penn State at 7:30 for NBC while remaining independent. I think Notre Dame eventually joins a conference but I’m not sure this TV deal is what makes the final push. 

7 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Wasn't the ACC contract only for 2020? 

They are committed to the ACC Basketball deals. Those contracts would need to be broken. Plus they are currently committed to playing between four to six football games against ACC teams through 2037.

So if they jump, and I think they will in the next couple of years, it will probably cost them a chunk of change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm backing off the quickly part of this after researching a little. It could still happen quickly but I'd guess it will be a few seasons...unless the ACC implodes with defections.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Will the B1G locking up NBC's Saturday night prime time slot help push ND to the B1G sooner?

ND would be relegated to noon or mid-afternoon on all of their home games and only playing in prime time on the road.

I've been a Notre Dame fan all my life.  Over the years they have rarely played home games at night.  Almost all their home games have been 2:30 kickoffs.  The majority of their night games seem to be on ABC or ESPN when they are on the road. 

I don't think not playing on NBC at night would be the straw to break the camels back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Cat said:

I've been a Notre Dame fan all my life.  Over the years they have rarely played home games at night.  Almost all their home games have been 2:30 kickoffs.  The majority of their night games seem to be on ABC or ESPN when they are on the road. 

I don't think not playing on NBC at night would be the straw to break the camels back. 

It may not, but with the B1G total TV deal at a billion a year...the per team share is much more than Notre Dame is currently getting. In the end money will be the deciding factor. If NBC throws $75,000,000 at ND that they are asking for, ND may very well stay put. 

• 3 weeks later...

From all that I've read, it looks like in the expanded playoffs that the 4 byes will go to the 4 highest ranked conference champions. So if ND wants to stay independent, that means they would have to play in the first round every year that they qualify for the CFP. Imagine ND going undefeated and a 5th seed is the best they could hope for.

I will stick with my thoughts that their days as an Indy are coming to an end.