Who Is The Best Men's College Basketball Coach of All Time ?

CatchMeIfYouCan

The era that Knight and Smith coached in was a much more balanced competitive level of basketball than Rupp and Wooden's era. Smith had to coach and recruit against Duke, NC State, Clemson, and at the end of his area he was recruiting against the country. It was hard to buil a dynasty at that time. Not one team did and it was/is virtually impossible. At UCLA it wasn't.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say Wooden and Rupp; with the edge to Wooden. The streaks were unbelievable. I can remember Notre Dame FINALLY beating them and ending something like a nearly 90 game winning streak. UNBELIEVABLE. His book is great by the way. He speaks of how one of his proudest moments is when a opposing equipment manager would tell him, years later, that UCLA always kept the locker rooms the cleanest of all visiting teams. Wooden had taught his players to clean up after themselves and that it simply wasn't right to make others clean up his teams' mess. Now that is a classy guy.

Krzyzewski inherited a Duke squad in 1980-81

The 1986 Duke team won an NCAA-record 37 games while claiming titles in the Big Apple NIT, ACC regular season, ACC Tournament and the NCAA East Regional. They established a school record with a 21-game winning streak during the year (that has since been broken), were undefeated at home, advanced to the NCAA Championship game in Dallas and played more games (40) than any other team in college basketball history.

The 1987-88 campaign began the school’s amazing streak of five straight NCAA Final Four appearances as the Blue Devils won 28 games, again swept to the ACC title, won another East Regional championship

1988-89. This time it was the National Player of the Year Danny Ferry, Quin Snyder and John Smith taking the reins. They guided the team to another trip to the NCAA Final Four with a win over heavily favored Georgetown in the East Regional final.

Coach K has averaged more than 25 wins a season during his career at Duke and posted seven 30-win seasons, including 30+ victories in four of the last five years. Krzyzewski’s seven 30-win seasons are the most by any coach in college basketball history. He has directed his teams to nine Final Fours, third-most by any coach in NCAA history.

But Coach K is not the best coach in NCAA basketball history...

Duke lost in the NCAA championship game in 1986 and then made five consecutive Final Fours starting in 1988, the last two of which resulted in NCAA titles (see 1991 and 1992).

Krzyzewski also led Duke to Final Fours in 1994, 1999, 2001, and 2004, with another national championship in 2001. With 68 career wins in the NCAA tournament, Mike Krzyzewski is the winningest coach in the history of the event.

Krzyzewski has won twelve National Coach of the Year awards.

His total coaching record is 753-250 (.751). (that was before this season)

Prior to joining the Duke program, Krzyzewski spent five years building the program at his alma mater in West Point. He led the Cadets to two NIT berths and left with a five-year record of 73-59 (.553).

Overall record at Duke: 648-187 (.776) (before this season)

Been in the NCAA Championship game 7 times & has won 3 titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski

I see your point?

:confused:

:lol:

I was just trying to help your statement out a little by puting down some statistics but my statement, "But Coach K is not the best coach in NCAA basketball history"..., I stand by...Let him atleast get his coaching career over with before we call him the best EVER

I was just trying to help your statement out a little by puting down some statistics but my statement, "But Coach K is not the best coach in NCAA basketball history"..., I stand by...Let him atleast get his coaching career over with before we call him the best EVER
:thumb:

But he just might be someday.