BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 6 Review and Rankings:

BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 6 Review and Rankings:

6 Weeks in the can in the 9th Region, and we saw some game results this week that helped up see just how much parity there is, and lack there of. Some teams who have struggled are beginning to find themselves even if it doesn't always translate into a "W".

-Highlands took care of Holy Cross by 15 points for example, but Conner only edged Holy Cross by 2 showing how close those two teams are.

-Conner handled Boone County quite well by 22 showing the separation in the 33rd District between the two top dogs, Cooper, and Conner, and then Rlye and Boone. Co.

-Lloyd helped to quiet some critics including myself who saw what they're capable of as they pretty much dominated a struggling Beechwood by 18, while showing a fun and exciting team chemistry that play well together as a unit with passion. Jeramiah Israel for one has risen to the occasion, and has shown that in 3 point threat Ryan Davis' absence, Lloyd does have a 2nd reliable perimeter shooting option in him. 

-Even with much to be excited about in the 9th Region, we have the exceptionally superior Covington Catholic Colonels who have been promoted to the Number 1 team in the state after George Rogers Clark knocked Louisville Ballard out of the top spot. For many it's a foregone conclusion who will likely represent the 9th this season at Rupp, but as the saying goes, "That's why they play the game".

-This coming week has the ever exciting 9th Region All 'A' Classic being played at Bellevue Jan 10-15. The 9 teams in the field are the hosts Bellevue, as well as Holy Cross, St. Henry, Newport Central Catholic, Newport, Beechwood, Ludlow, Villa Madonna, and Dayton. While Holy Cross is considered the favorite going in, there's a few other teams who might have something to say about that. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

-One very exciting and entertaining game to note from this past week is the overtime 94-91 win of Holmes over Newport Central Catholic up on the hill in Newport that also saw the career high output from senior Quantez Calloway with 50 points. These two teams have struggled this season to crack the Top 10, but both teams showed a lot of guts, and excited passion in this game showing that both teams are indeed competitive, and are rising in team confidence. While NewCath for example doesn't presently have a great W/L record, I don't think anyone should sleep on them as they enter the All 'A' Classic. 

-One final note in highlighting a non Top 10 team, is that while the Newport Wildcats are suffering in the W/L department, they have an incredible plethora of young and exciting talent that should translate to them bieng back in the discussion in the next couple of seasons. They're very exciting to watch with their teamwork and passion. 

Without much further ago, let's take a look at this week's Rankings:

1). Covington Catholic - (13-2)

The Colonels only had one game this past week in their dominant 82-41 win over their Dixie Hwy neighbors, the struggling Beechwood Tigers. In the meantime they've also been promoted to the Number 1 team in the state after George Rogers Clark knocked Louisville Ballard out of the top spot. This week sees the Colonels travel on Jan. 13 to Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnati, Oh).

2). Highlands - (10-5)

The Birds went 2-1 this week, first taking care of Holy Cross 87-72, then Newport 84-61, but getting a heavy slice of a southern smackdown from Number 6 in the state, the Ashland Blazer Tomcats who controlled the entire game while also impressively connecting on 15 treys. Final score was 75-57. Aside from all of usual suspects for the Birds in Zac Barth, Oliver Harris, Will Herald, Leyton Read, and Cole Kocher, Coach Listerman is building a deep bench with players like Seth Ryan, Brody Benke, Austion Duncan, and Brayden Moeves seeing more minutes. In the game against Newport for example, in Zac Barth's absense, Brody Benke stepped up with a career high 21 points, 10-10 from the field, and 1-1 from the line impressively shooting 100% all around. 

3). Cooper - (12-3)

The Jaguars continue to get it done going 2-0 in Week 6 with a nice win over Newport Central Catholic 62-48, then beating Louisville Eastern 62-50. This coming week has them playing two home games, first against the Lloyd upstarts on Jan. 11, and then a 33rd District seeding game with Boone County on Jan. 14. 

4). Dixie Heights - (10-3)

Dixie's cohesvive solid team work saw them staying with their winning ways. This past week they comfortably took down 34th District mates, St. Henry 56-37, then held off a feisty Ryle Raiders 70-61. They will play North Oldham at home on Jan. 11, then a big home game against the Highlands Bluebirds on Jan. 14. 

5). Conner - (12-3) 

The Cougars continue to look good, first getting a squeaker win over Holy Cross 71-69, then taking good care of Boone County, 67-45 in a 33rd District seeding game. They've 3 games this coming week, first Jan. 11 in a 33rd District seeding game at Ryle, then they travel to Grant County on Jan.13, then a home game on Jan. 14 against South Dearborn (Aurora IN). 

6). Holy Cross - (9-5)

The Indians had a rough week going 0-2, first in a loss against Highlands 87-72, then a close loss to Conner 71-69. They've an opportunity to reright the ship this coming week as they enter the 9th Region All 'A' Classic as tourney favorites first taking on the hosts, Bellevue on Monday, Jan. 10. 

7). Lloyd Memorial - (11-1)

The Lloyd Juggernauts are being bumped back up to the Number 7 spot after they showed a lot of awesome team chemistry and passion in their win over Beechwood 66-48 that saw Jeramiah Israel really step it up in 3 point threat Ryan Davis' absence, showing that the Juggs do indeed have another 3 point shooting option in him. He had the game high of 22 points going 4-4 from the 3. The quality Juggs players are very exciting to watch. They also easily took care of Dayton 63-40. They've a busy week ahead with 3 games. first with a real tough one at Cooper on Jan. 11 that should be an awesome test for them finally facing one of the top dogs in the region, then 2 home games, first with Campbell County on Jan. 12, then Scott on Jan. 14. 

8). Ryle - (8-8)

The Ryle Raiders had a rough week gong 0-3, first being dominated by a tough Mason County team 83-46, a loss to Dixie 70-61, then losing a close one 71-67 to the 4th best team in the 16th Region, Fleming County. This week they start with a home 33rd District seeding game against Cooper on Jan. 11, travel to Holmes on Jan. 14 which should be a fun game, then swing over to Walton Verona on Jan. 15. 

9). Boone County - (9-5) 

With their 67-45 loss to 33rd District mates Conner, the Rebels snapped their streak of winning 6 of their last 7 games. They also beat Ludlow comfortably 64-39. They've two away games this coming week, first on Jan. 11 at Grant County, then a 33rd District seeding game on Jan. 14 at Cooper. 

10). Holmes - (6-10)

I sorta struggled a bit this week with who should round out the Top 10, but after seeing the Bulldogs' passionate competitive play againt Newport Central Catholic in their 94-91 overtime win, I couldn't help but to think that as they're improving, they also should be awarded for such. They have 2 home games this week, first against Scott on Jan. 10, then host a potentially exciting game against the Ryle Raiders on Jan. 14. 

11). St. Henry - (5-6)

12). Newport Central Catholic - (3-9)

13). Beechwood - (5-8)

14). Newport - (3-9)

15). Villa Madonna - (4-8)

16). Ludlow - (8-5)

17). Dayton - (6-5)

18). Heritage Academy - (3-7)

19). Bellevue - (2-12)

20). Covington Latin - (0-8)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, statman said:

I thought Villa was hosting the All A, at least that is where I will be on Wednesday?

Thank you for pointing this out! I had previously been led to believe that it was taking place at Bellevue, but the bracket does say otherwise. On the KHSAA scoreboard, it presently says "various sites", but at the All 'A' Classic website for the 9th Region is says Villa Madonna. 

Here is the brakcet:

https://www.allaclassic.org/Regional Brackets/Boys Brackets/9th Region Boys Brackets.pdf

3 minutes ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Thank you for pointing this out! I had previously been led to believe that it was taking place at Bellevue, but the bracket does say otherwise. On the KHSAA scoreboard, it presently says "various sites", but at the All 'A' Classic website for the 9th Region is says Villa Madonna. 

Here is the brakcet:

https://www.allaclassic.org/Regional Brackets/Boys Brackets/9th Region Boys Brackets.pdf

I think that there is truth in "various sites" for the play-in games. Looking at the bracket for Monday, you see the two games scheduled as 7:00 and 7:45 which would indicate two different sites. I assume that the semi's and finals will be at Villa Madonna, with perhaps the play-in games, at both Villa Madonna, and Bellevue. 

47 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Again, good work, however I would flip Ryle and Boone County.  Yes, I know Ryle beat them earlier.

Thanks for enjoying the read!

Yeah, I debated myself on that one. To avoid going with an 8a, and an 8b, I just had to go with it one way or another. Boone has played much better as of late, and while Ryle has had some tough losses, they did stick around with Dixie most of their recent game showing potential. They’re mostly too close to call at this point, but luckily we get to see really where they’re at with each other as they’ll play a 33rd District seeding game at Ryle on Jan. 18. 

• Like 1

NCC has yet to have all of their players healthy this year. Coach Luhn has been playing 10-11 kids per game. Coach is giving everyone playing time to gain confidence. NCC is looking to replace 4 kids who would have been starters this year. Once they are healthy, look for NCC to be a better team. Maybe even crack the top 10. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Morgan said:

NCC has yet to have all of their players healthy this year. Coach Luhn has been playing 10-11 kids per game. Coach is giving everyone playing time to gain confidence. NCC is looking to replace 4 kids who would have been starters this year. Once they are healthy, look for NCC to be a better team. Maybe even crack the top 10. 

They are looking better as of late. Their upcoming All 'A' appearance should tell us something. The Thoroughbreds have a competative tradition, so I never expect to see them roll over. Being in the Top 10 is not too far out of reach for them, so depending on how they do in the near future we might just see them get there. The last couple of years they seemed to have been tough lucked plagued by injury, but there's a never say die spirit with them that always has them giving it their all. 

• Like 1

Great write Bball, a couple of things:

1 name you missed that come from a great gene pool is Nathan Vinson, Soph for Birds getting some nice minutes lately (Sam's brother)

Also, very interested to see how they fare with back to back night @ Dixie on Fri and @ Mason County on Sat this weekend.

Interested how you see those going, throw in @ Simon Kenton on Tue night....no clue how good they are since not in the 9th.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

1 name you missed that come from a great gene pool is Nathan Vinson, Soph for Birds getting some nice minutes lately (Sam's brother)

Also, very interested to see how they fare with back to back night @ Dixie on Fri and @ Mason County on Sat this weekend.

Interested how you see those going, throw in @ Simon Kenton on Tue night....no clue how good they are since not in the 9th.

Dang...I really meant to include Nathan Vinson when I was mentally preparing this review. I wanted to say Little Sam, or Sam's little brother and while typing it all out, it slipped my mind. Thanks for mentioning him!

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

They'll win all three.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Who will beat them?

I’m seeing a Highlands/Dixie game that could go either way so to me it’s not a forgone conclusion by any stretch. On top of that the game is being played at Dixie if that helps them any. 

Mason County at 13-3 also has a very tough team, so I’m expecting a barn burner in that one too, and this game is also an away game for the Birds being played at the Fieldhouse.  

The only one where I’m not hesitant to call it a certain Highland’s win is against Simon Kenton. 

All 3 are away games for the Birds in a 5 day period. I don’t expect that to be much of a problem for them, but it could wear on a team a little. 

This is just a really tough stretch of games on the road for the Birds, staring with Ashland! 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Birds win the next 3 or if they drop 1 or 2 of 3!

I believe that they drop the Dixie game in a very close game maybe 4-6 point decision but win other 2 comfortably.