Coaching Openings

17 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Don't know, but I would guess the better the support, the longer the head coach stays.

Bingo. I was told once that every coaching job has a shelf life. It can/will come to an end for any number of reasons, internal or external. Lack of administrative support will turn something sour really quick. The inverse is true too. If the administration has your back and supports everything you say, you give them results on and off the field, and everything in your own life goes according to plan, you may end up a lifetime legacy type coach.

So many variables in each persons life though, makes it a rare occasion to see someone at the same post for 25 years. I would say that is the goal though. No coach wishes to bounce around from school to school every 4-7 years, uprooting his family with each move to a new job somewhere across the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HedgeHog8 said:

Bingo. I was told once that every coaching job has a shelf life. It can/will come to an end for any number of reasons, internal or external. Lack of administrative support will turn something sour really quick. The inverse is true too. If the administration has your back and supports everything you say, you give them results on and off the field, and everything in your own life goes according to plan, you may end up a lifetime legacy type coach.

So many variables in each persons life though, makes it a rare occasion to see someone at the same post for 25 years. I would say that is the goal though. No coach wishes to bounce around from school to school every 4-7 years, uprooting his family with each move to a new job somewhere across the state.

If Shula had a clock at Miami, and Noll had a clock at Pittsburgh... we ALL have a clock that will run out at some point, where ever we are.

Even in really strong programs, coaches can stay one place too long. I have seen it happen. Tough to watch. Sad. 

Belichick & Saban may be the exceptions. Not just because they are great coaches, but because of the control they have where they are. If things are getting stale, they can shake things up real quick. And, everyone in the room knows that. That is different. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Belichick & Saban may be the exceptions. Not just because they are great coaches, but because of the control they have where they are. If things are getting stale, they can shake things up real quick. And, everyone in the room knows that. That is different. 

I wonder if Saban's assistant coach rehabilitation program has actually been better for the long-term stability? Saban is the constant but there is a continuous stream of good coaches who serve as coordinators, etc. but only for a year. If it was Saban, same coordinators, same position coaches, for fifteen years might it have gotten stale quicker?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I wonder if Saban's assistant coach rehabilitation program has actually been better for the long-term stability? Saban is the constant but there is a continuous stream of good coaches who serve as coordinators, etc. but only for a year. If it was Saban, same coordinators, same position coaches, for fifteen years might it have gotten stale quicker?

We shuffled our Mercer staff for the 2021 season…. Switching positions for some of our assistants. The kids & coaches responded very well.  We did that some at Mason as well. Every now and then, the change up can lead to renewed energy, focus and enthusiasm. 

• Like 5