Beechwood vs. Lexington Christian Academy Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

Tigers or Eagles?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the rematch?

• Beechwood Tigers
    • Lexington Christian Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

Beechwood and Lexington Christian have been on a collision course since the end of last year's overtime championship game. Beechwood entered that game a big underdog but got the win when Brady Moore blocked LCA's extra point kick in overtime. Both teams were young and virtually all the key players were coming back. Both teams were favorites to return to this year's title game and have been ranked #1 and #2 in 2A all season. Beechwood was #1 the first half of the year and LCA jumped over Beechwood, despite no losses by Beechwood, to be ranked #1 the last half of the season. Both teams have marched into this rematch with dominating performances in the playoffs. This game is all set to be a classic.

Lexington Christian has been incredibly impressive all season. They have wins over two other teams that will be playing for a title next weekend - beating 3A Boyle County 35-28 and 1A Pikeville 31-14. Their resume has them ranked #3 in the entire state on calpreps.com behind only 6A powers Male and St. Xavier. With that resume it is understandable that they were able to move ahead of Beechwood in the BGP rankings. LCA is led by Mr. Football candidate Xavier Brown, averaging 13.5 yards per carry. But he is not the only high level player on LCA. WR Mason Moore is a great all around player who has over 875 yards receiving and 10 TD's. Moore also stepped in at QB for a couple games this year when QB Drew Nieves was out. One of those games was the win over Boyle County. That is how good LCA is - they beat Boyle County without their regular starting QB. In that game Brown had 221 yards rushing. QB Nieves is one of the top QB's in the state with the key stat being 23 TD passes against only 1 interception. It also should be noted that LCA has a very good kicker in Andrew Dobbs. Lexington Christian as a team is right at the top of multiple categories in the 2A stats including #2 in Team Scoring, Team Defense and Team Scoring Margin.

The team that is #1 in 2A in those categories is - the Beechwood Tigers. Beechwood's defense has put up a historic season. The crowning achievement was totally shutting down the Mayfield Cardinals offense in the semi-state game, not even allowing Mayfield a first down until the second half after Beechwood had a running clock in place. Beechwood's defense is #1 in the entire state allowing only 76 points the entire season, just in front of Male. Beechwood is also #1 in the entire state in Team Scoring margin, winning by 42.5 points per game on average. (LCA is #2 in the state at 36.2 points margin). The Tigers are led on offense by Mr. Football 2020 Cameron Hergott. Hergott is averages over 12 yards per carry, #2 in 2A in rushing average just behind LCA's Brown. In addition to his 1500+ yards rushing, Hergott has thrown for over 2,200 yards with 31 TD's versus 3 interceptions. With starting RB Avery Courtney out due to injury, Jr. Mitchell Berger has stepped into the backfield as the starting RB. In the Mayfield semi-final game, Berger showed his beast mode running style going well over 100 yards rushing against a very good Mayfield defense.  Anchoring the Beechwood line is WKU D1 committed 6'5" 295 pound Luke Slusher. The defensive line is led by Xavier Campbell and his 12 sacks, tied for first in 2A.

There is much more to add with a number of other players on both sides very capable of making a difference in this game. Lexington Christian has been focused on this game since last December. Can the Eagles win the rematch? Or will the Tigers once again get the "upset" win?

5va2o1.jpg.b151d6e254cd927084eae58c786e750a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Beechwood vs. Lexington Christian Academy Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

I agree with Tigerpride that this is going to be the best game of the finals most likely.  If nothing else, it'll be the most anticipated of the six games.  Not sure who I'm picking yet, but LCA does have the revenge factor.  Should be a great game as these two teams have buzzsawed through the entire class this year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Beechwood and Lexington Christian have been on a collision course since the end of last year's overtime championship game. Beechwood entered that game a big underdog but got the win when Brady Moore blocked LCA's extra point kick in overtime. Both teams were young and virtually all the key players were coming back. Both teams were favorites to return to this year's title game and have been ranked #1 and #2 in 2A all season. Beechwood was #1 the first half of the year and LCA jumped over Beechwood, despite no losses by Beechwood, to be ranked #1 the last half of the season. Both teams have marched into this rematch with dominating performances in the playoffs. This game is all set to be a classic.

Lexington Christian has been incredibly impressive all season. They have wins over two other teams that will be playing for a title next weekend - beating 3A Boyle County 35-28 and 1A Pikeville 31-14. Their resume has them ranked #3 in the entire state on calpreps.com behind only 6A powers Male and St. Xavier. With that resume it is understandable that they were able to move ahead of Beechwood in the BGP rankings. LCA is led by Mr. Football candidate Xavier Brown, averaging 13.5 yards per carry. But he is not the only high level player on LCA. WR Mason Moore is a great all around player who has over 875 yards receiving and 10 TD's. Moore also stepped in at QB for a couple games this year when QB Drew Nieves was out. One of those games was the win over Boyle County. That is how good LCA is - they beat Boyle County without their regular starting QB. In that game Brown had 221 yards rushing. QB Nieves is one of the top QB's in the state with the key stat being 23 TD passes against only 1 interception. It also should be noted that LCA has a very good kicker in Andrew Dobbs. Lexington Christian as a team is right at the top of multiple categories in the 2A stats including #2 in Team Scoring, Team Defense and Team Scoring Margin.

The team that is #1 in 2A in those categories is - the Beechwood Tigers. Beechwood's defense has put up a historic season. The crowning achievement was totally shutting down the Mayfield Cardinals offense in the semi-state game, not even allowing Mayfield a first down until the second half after Beechwood had a running clock in place. Beechwood's defense is #1 in the entire state allowing only 76 points the entire season, just in front of Male. Beechwood is also #1 in the entire state in Team Scoring margin, winning by 42.5 points per game on average. (LCA is #2 in the state at 36.2 points margin). The Tigers are led on offense by Mr. Football 2020 Cameron Hergott. Hergott is averages over 12 yards per carry, #2 in 2A in rushing average just behind LCA's Brown. In addition to his 1500+ yards rushing, Hergott has thrown for over 2,200 yards with 31 TD's versus 3 interceptions. With starting RB Avery Courtney out due to injury, Jr. Mitchell Berger has stepped into the backfield as the starting RB. In the Mayfield semi-final game, Berger showed his beast mode running style going well over 100 yards rushing against a very good Mayfield defense.  Anchoring the Beechwood line is WKU D1 committed 6'5" 295 pound Luke Slusher. The defensive line is led by Xavier Campbell and his 12 sacks, tied for first in 2A.

There is much more to add with a number of other players on both sides very capable of making a difference in this game. Lexington Christian has been focused on this game since last December. Can the Eagles win the rematch? Or will the Tigers once again get the "upset" win?

5va2o1.jpg.b151d6e254cd927084eae58c786e750a.jpg

Awesome breakdown!👍

This is a heavyweight match in the small school ranks.  I missed it last year but I am really looking forward to this one.  I don’t know who will win, looks pretty even on paper.  

I’ll be pulling for LCA because of a young man on their team who lost his father recently, and both his parents have deep Belfry roots.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

This to me is the best game of all the finals. I'll take LCA in a close one but wouldn't surprise me if Beechwood gets the win.

LOL, I like that. You make a pick but say the other team can win too. A true toss-up. It'll be a fun one. 

Not sure you'd want to watch it. The offense LCA will play will look nothing like how they played at Boyle.  Boyle had personnel issues that they fixed and had no idea the offense LCA would run that game.  LCA is loaded with talent and took it to Boyle but it was just a funny mix of things that happened for that game.  If LCA doesn't beat Boyle and beat them the way they did, I'm not sure Boyle is as good right now as they would have been.  

BTW, I'll take LCA by 7 in the title game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, theguru said:

Does anyone know if the Boyle County/LCA game is available on video to watch?  I know it was early, but that is the game I want to scout. 

As BEChargers said, LCA did not even have their starting QB that game. WR Mason Moore played QB against Boyle County. You aren't going to see LCA's normal offense watching their game against Boyle Co.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1