Ford disagreed with Bush on invading Iraq

H

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the interview, he merely stated that he would not have gone to war had he been President, and disagreed with Bush and Cheney's decision to do so. The comparison with Kissinger is interesting, but other than that there is nothing landmark here. The man handpicked Rumsfeld and Cheney as his advisors when he was the big cheese.

According to the interview, he merely stated that he would not have gone to war had he been President, and disagreed with Bush and Cheney's decision to do so. The comparison with Kissinger is interesting, but other than that there is nothing landmark here. The man handpicked Rumsfeld and Cheney as his advisors when he was the big cheese.

That's what I heard in the interview. He said he would have used stronger sanctions and other interventions (I think). I have to agree with him.

Does anyone else find it ironic that many of those that condemned President Ford for pardoning Nixon (and yes I am old enough to remember it first hand) are now praising him?

I think this is just part of what happens when a President dies--the commentary focuses on the positive accomplishments. President Reagan was remembered glowingly as the man who won the Cold War and annexed the South for the Republicans. President Nixon's role in Watergate was even downplayed during the national period of mourning for his passing. His resignation under the cloud of Watergate was relatively lightly emphasized compared to praise for his opening of relations with with China, establishment of the EPA and OSHA, and smooth enforcement of school desegregation rulings under his Presidency.

I think he went one step further, by recognizing that spreading Democracy at the end of a gun is very difficult and that U.S. military power and international influence should be used first and foremost to serve U.S. national interests. His quote: "And I just don't think we should go hellfire and blank-nation around the globe freeing people, unless it is directly related to our own national security." portrays this wisdom.

Guest kybigguy42

Bob Woodward.....gotta love him. President Ford isn't even cold and he is now the most recent leader to speak out against the war in Iraq. When are we gonna wake up here in America and realize we are in a global war against militant Islam? and that the frontline now, like it or not, is in Iraq. We either stand and fight now or we can pass the rifles to our children and grandchildren....the enemy will be the same 20 years from now if we dont stand up to them now....the battlefield just might be our own back yards

Bob Woodward.....gotta love him. President Ford isn't even cold and he is now the most recent leader to speak out against the war in Iraq. When are we gonna wake up here in America and realize we are in a global war against militant Islam? and that the frontline now, like it or not, is in Iraq. We either stand and fight now or we can pass the rifles to our children and grandchildren....the enemy will be the same 20 years from now if we dont stand up to them now....the battlefield just might be our own back yards

Exactly what should our forces in Iraq be doing to "stand and fight" militant Islam? The military mission of taking Iraq was completed 3 1/2 years ago. We're referees in a civil war now. We've whacked the hornet's nest and now we're getting stung. Should we just stand there, hoping they all fly back into the nest?

Does anyone else find it ironic that many of those that condemned President Ford for pardoning Nixon (and yes I am old enough to remember it first hand) are now praising him?

Yes! And on a very similar subject, the same talking heads that blasted Regean for years were lined up at the funeral and memorial heaping praise.

Ford did say based on public information available at the time he would not have gone to war. I thought his quote on not going to war to free other countries unless there is a direct threat to national security was interesting. That would leave us out of a lot of conflicts around the world, which can be a good or bad thing.

I thought at the time that it was a horrible decision. In hindsight, it was a very good decision to pardon Nixon.

Exactly what should our forces in Iraq be doing to "stand and fight" militant Islam? The military mission of taking Iraq was completed 3 1/2 years ago. We're referees in a civil war now. We've whacked the hornet's nest and now we're getting stung. Should we just stand there, hoping they all fly back into the nest?
Personally, I feel like the hornet's nest was whacked on 9/11 when it comes to militant Islam.

Like H, I think it is only normal to speak well of those that have passed, especially while at the funeral.

I would hope that even those that most venomously oppose Clinton's actions would be civil enough not to bring up his personal failures while looking down into the casket.

If Rush Limbaugh failed to mention the blue dress during the funeral, I wouldn't take that to mean that he had suddenly become a full fledged supporter of Clinton's. Likewise, many of us can find good things to say about Ford or Reagan, without embracing all of their policies or decisions.

Call it civility.

Frances