Boyle County at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

Boyle County vs. Frederick Douglass  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2021 at 11:32 PM

I think this is going to be a very interesting game. It should be close. Frederick Douglas has been destroying virtually every team that they have faced this year. On paper, they look amazing. The only problem with that is that they haven't played anybody at all. Their schedule is very weak. The most challenging team they have faced is Bryan's Station, winning that 27-14, definitely not a blow out. BS, although being 8-1, is not a very talented team. I would put them about top 3 in 3A. They would probably be the 5th or 6th best team in 5A. That is based upon who they have played and how well they have done.

Boyle will be a completely different challenge for FD. FD has never faced a team this good. Boyle blanked Bowling Green 31-0. I know BG isn't that great this year, but they are arguably better than any team that FD has played, besides Bryan's Station. Boyle's only loss has been to Lexington Christian, who is undoubtedly better than FD.

I will give FD a slight edge though. Both FD and Boyle played Tates Creek early. Boyle won 31-6, while FD won 51-0. It's hard to use that as a completely accurate barometer, but it definitely leans toward FD.

This game is a great indicator of things to come. If FD blows out Boyle, which some people believe will happen, then you might as well give them the 5A state championship. I don't think anyone in 5A will be able to beat them. But if Boyle wins, then it will show that FD is slightly overrated and can be beat in the playoffs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I'll take a two score victory over a team that is 8-1 and has the 3rd highest RPI in 6A. Plus it was actually 27-7 until fairly late in the 4th quarter when they scored their 2nd score. Boyle very well may defeat Douglass.

You make it sound like because Douglass put a running clock on LCA last year they were not any good there only other loss the entire season was in the 2A state championship game by 1 point in OT to a very good Beechwood team. It seems like no one ever wants to say much about Douglass unless they lose if they win big its because they should or the team is not very good. I will be the first to say 9 out of their 10 games are not very competitive but you play who you are made to play. It will be a fun game to watch and I am looking forward to it.

Two things here,

First, haven't we established that RPI isn't any good in a year where there is multiple Covid Cancellations and some people think RPI is trash anyway. I wouldn't use RPI to argue for the strength of a team or an opponent.

Second, I agree with you that it stinks that FD really isn't in control of their schedule, but that means that truthfully they SHOULD win all of their games. That is because the teams they have to play are not very good, that is a large reason as to why they win every year during the regular season and then get beat in the playoffs. And when they are the school that pulls talent from everywhere else in Fayette County they really don't have an excuse not to be good. It's expected that they are good. They have to beat teams that are elite to be considered an elite team and for people stop doubting them. The only time they are ever going to be able to do this is in the playoffs and up until this point in their programs history they haven't beaten any of those "elite" teams. (I wouldn't consider Owensboro or Soutwester an "elite" Team.) They've beaten some really good teams, but they haven't gotten that very top most bracket yet. If they win this week, it would be a really big win for the program I think.

• Like 1

I got to see these two play back during the eku 7on7 and FD won pretty handedly. That being said, everything changes when you put the pads on and add the big boys up front... Because of the Hogs in the trenches, I say Boyle wins a very hard fought game by a Touchdown and a Jackson Smith Field Goal. Good luck to both teams on Friday. 

Boyle has beaten: Tates Creek, Pulaski, Anderson, Bourbon, BG and North Hardin (BG and NH are way off where they normally are), Henderson (good win away), and LexCath by 6.    I think Freddie HAMMERS that schedule AND beats LCA (see last year) - which Boyle didn't at home.  Schedule out the window, Freddie is the better team.

For the Bryan Station doubters, the defenders would win every game on Boyle's schedule as well (the games Boyle has won).  Case in point Boyle beat Tates Creek 31-6, Bryan Station beat TC 42-0.  And they have beaten Madison Central, probably a better win than any Boyle has.  Madison Central lost to BS by about the same score they lost to LCA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

The same Frederick Douglass team that struggled with Bryan Station?  That was last year LCA team, this LCA team is a different animal. Boyle will be the best defense FD has faced all year. 

last year's LCA team IS THE SAME AS THIS SEASON, only difference is that they are a grade higher. Last season LCA did not loose anyone significant to graduation. Everyone is back for LCA.  

1 hour ago, BlueRaider said:

I got to see these two play back during the eku 7on7 and FD won pretty handedly. That being said, everything changes when you put the pads on and add the big boys up front... Because of the Hogs in the trenches, I say Boyle wins a very hard fought game by a Touchdown and a Jackson Smith Field Goal. Good luck to both teams on Friday. 

Actually the two teams tied in their first meeting and FD won by 1 score in the second game as Boyle's last td throw was thrown about a second or two after the allowed time for Gillis to get the ball out of his hand.  So I don't understand the "won handedly" statement.  I was there also. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Just watched 2021 BC vs LexCath... Boyle O is not up to par with FD defense. End of story lol. This isn't going to be a blowout, but past halftime Douglass pulls away comfortably.

Hope you're right and hoping Douglass to really put it to the rebels.. Just to humble them down a bit.

• Haha 1

This is going to get a terrific game.  I got to see Boyle County earlier and they are better than I thought they were mostly because of their O and DLines.  I know Freddie has a very good DLine.  What about their OLine?  The Zimmer kid is the real deal for Boyle at DE.

For all the terrific skill guys both teams have, the team that wins in the trenches ultimately wins this game I think.  But I think it will be close regardless.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

For all the terrific skill guys both teams have, the team that wins in the trenches ultimately wins this game I think.  But I think it will be close regardless.

Turnovers (or avoiding turnovers) could be critical. Both teams have shown an ability to force them, with Boyle forcing sixteen turnovers and Douglass forcing eighteen. In a game that should be close, that could be the difference in winning and losing.

Obviously FD fans like to hang their hat on last years victory against LCA and use that as a measuring stick in and on every thread that comes up about them. Last year's FD v LCA game was the best thing to happen to LCA. But at some point FD has to quit hanging their hat on a game that was played over a year ago, with different players and a score that didn't represent the game at all (LCA 7 turnovers).

Facts for 21' - FD's opponent record is 34-48 and Boyle's is 44-38. Boyle has played much better competition then FD. The fact that FD has to play other Lex public schools really hurts them IMO. I think there are some matchup problems for both teams. I think Boyle has one of the best offensive lines in the state. Fast, disciplined and physical. I am not sure FD can over come that even with Joyner. Both teams have outstanding receivers.  Should be a fun one to watch and a great game to prepare for November. 

• Like 1