Boyle County at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

Boyle County vs. Frederick Douglass  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2021 at 11:32 PM

This has to be one of if not the best last week of the regular season contest in the state this Friday at 7:30pm at "The Farm" in Lexington. I wish the forecast was better than what is projected so far. These two teams come into the game playing very good football at the right time of the season. Boyle is 8-1 but since their loss on Aug. 28 to a very good #1 ranked in 2A LCA 28-21 the Rebels have went 7-0 and have outscored there opponents by a total of 309-71. One thing that plays I think in Boyle's favor they have played a tougher schedule than the Broncos have due to the fact that Boyle has 7 dates that they are free to schedule anyone they choose compared to Frederick Douglass who only have this one free date to schedule.

Frederick Douglass comes into this last game at 9-0 and will try to have their 3rd undefeated regular season in the last 4 seasons. This will be a good test and much needed for the Broncos win or lose before starting into the post season playing one of the top teams in the state. The Broncos really have not been challenged at all since the first half of their first game of the season at Bryan Station. Douglass comes into the game having outscored their opponents 313 to 41. The 313 points 311 of those have been score in just 7 games as they have had two 1-0 Covid wins this season. The Broncos offense always gets most of the ink and talk as they are averaging over 44 points a game in their actual 7 games played. However their defense is very good as well they have only gave up 34 points to their opponents this season. 

This should be a very good and fun game to watch. It will probably come down to who does not turn the ball over especially with the weather forecast. I look forward to watching it. The game will be on the NHSF Network and I would think it will be on PrepSpin as well either this game or the Scott Co. vs. Lexington Catholic contest. If Douglass doesn't turn the ball over and keep their penalties down I think they will win. I hope both teams win or lose gets out of the hard fought game without any injuries and I look for both to make a deep run in the KHSAA Playoffs.

image.jpeg.9ba64a93306735317cd27e5e49942dc6.jpeg Vs. image.jpeg.4da445544667a9e8fe189364106fdda8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Boyle County at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

Douglass has the talent to beat anyone in the state but Boyle is battle tested and has that championship caliber DNA that just knows how to win. Correct me if Im wrong Douglass has yet to beat a Boyle caliber team since it’s inception. They beat LCA last yr but I don’t see LCA outside of this yr being in boyles league. I’ll take Boyle in a close one.

Boyle - 28

Douglass -24

9 minutes ago, Devils Fan said:

Correct me if Im wrong Douglass has yet to beat a Boyle caliber team since it’s inception.

Well to be honest there is not a lot of teams in the state that are the caliber of Boyle, but several that are in their caliber I would say is Scott Co., Lexington Catholic, LCA, Owensboro, Ballard, and maybe Southwestern and Conner. I agree that it does hurt Douglass that they don't get to play as many quality opponents as some top programs do because the administration of Fayette Co. make all city schools play each other in football so as I stated above they only have 1 game a year free to schedule where I think Boyle had 7 games to schedule.

22 minutes ago, Brown said:

Freddie didn’t only beat LCA they crushed them.  I think there is a big talent gap.  I’m rolling Douglass big.  They are looking to make a statement and have the best player in state.

Frederick 42-14

The same Frederick Douglass team that struggled with Bryan Station?  That was last year LCA team, this LCA team is a different animal. Boyle will be the best defense FD has faced all year. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

The same Frederick Douglass team that struggled with Bryan Station?

I'll take a two score victory over a team that is 8-1 and has the 3rd highest RPI in 6A. Plus it was actually 27-7 until fairly late in the 4th quarter when they scored their 2nd score. Boyle very well may defeat Douglass.

12 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

That was last year LCA team, this LCA team is a different animal.

You make it sound like because Douglass put a running clock on LCA last year they were not any good there only other loss the entire season was in the 2A state championship game by 1 point in OT to a very good Beechwood team. It seems like no one ever wants to say much about Douglass unless they lose if they win big its because they should or the team is not very good. I will be the first to say 9 out of their 10 games are not very competitive but you play who you are made to play. It will be a fun game to watch and I am looking forward to it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

The same Frederick Douglass team that struggled with Bryan Station?  That was last year LCA team, this LCA team is a different animal. Boyle will be the best defense FD has faced all year. 

I’ll say it slower…Boyle lost to LCA and Freddie blew them away last year.  Key, Bryant, Cornett.  Counting LCA, Boyle hasn’t played a team like Freddie yet and I believe they have something to prove.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Brown said:

Freddie didn’t only beat LCA they crushed them.  I think there is a big talent gap.  I’m rolling Douglass big.  They are looking to make a statement and have the best player in state.

Frederick 42-14

😳 if Douglass beats Boyle by that much then you might as well go ahead and give them the 5A trophy because I don’t see anybody else in 5A being able to do that… Not saying they can’t beat them I just need to see it first. 

• Like 1

Boyle gets beat by 3 touchdowns. Watched tape on them vs LCA and BoCo.... They are a disciplined team, and everyone appears to do as they are instructed. They don't turn the ball over. But against Douglass, you need to have several aggressive options, and I didn't see anyone that looked like they are a threat other than Cole Lanter.

However, if Lanter is the player that gets all the press for Boyle, that is the first red flag for me. The games I have watched, he takes short throws long, and outruns coverage on long throws. That is not happening against Douglass. 

Isaiah Kenney, Terrion Hicks and TJ Horton are NOT getting juked by  Lanter, folks. Let alone get outrun. Coaches can dial up some cool routes to get some completions, but he won't be outrunning anyone.  

I expect Boyle to move the pocket to buy time for Gillis, but the Broncos have the luxury of 6-5 OLB Davis Joyner to set the edge and force some tough decisions from Gillis. Sorry Rebels fans, but your offensive line has NOT seen pressure like the Douglass DT and DE rotation. The 1st half will see a lot of Gillis scampering, and short gains by Bodner. Eventually, as Lanter is trying to get by the Broncos corners, Ty Bryant is going to get his hands on a rushed pass. 

Point blank, Douglass' defense is the catalyst here. Offensively, and weather aside, Douglass' run game is very reliable. If weather takes away the vertical game, the short throws will be there. Who will Boyle call on to corral Cam Dunn, TJ Horton or Davaun Hart? Looking at tape, the Rebels may stop one option but they won't stop all of them.

Rebels, your best hope is for FDHS QB turnovers, the Achilles heel of Douglass. The RBs are very sure handed, I am not concerned about them. Boyle has to hope Cornett falters early as he did last year vs North Hardin, and Owensboro. 

There is a lot of BC support on this board, I am curious if they are confident in their chances of winning? Cole Lanter and Gillis are an awesome tandem no doubt, but the defensive corps that they have been slicing up in 2021 ALL pale in comparison to the Bronco D.

And don't think Douglass is overconfident. My writeup may project they are, but I am just reiterating what has transpired this whole season. They have as complete a defense as I have seen this season. Someone can mess around and haul in a long pass possibly, but there won't be any yards after the catch. The defensive line is 6-7 deep with constant pressure and penetration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

Douglass' scrimmage vs St. X was cancelled due to storms, so what you may think was a "struggle" vs the Defenders, was really the miscues and mistakes that would have been made in a scrimmage. The QB and WR timing was off, as it was in the TTUN game.

Otherwise, there would have been more points scored. Teams secondaries are NOT running in step with Dane Key on these long throws, he is burning people but has been overthrown by 5-6 yards. And Cornett isn't getting rushed! He literally sits in the pocket 6 seconds and more at times.

1 hour ago, Brown said:

I’ll say it slower…Boyle lost to LCA and Freddie blew them away last year.  Key, Bryant, Cornett.  Counting LCA, Boyle hasn’t played a team like Freddie yet and I believe they have something to prove.  

And FD hasn't played a team like Boyle yet.   

• Like 1

Boyle secondary will have to play well to win this Friday.  Boyle's oline on offense and secondary on defense determine whether or not they will make a game of it.  I trust Haddix's offense to find ways to get the ball down field.  I certainly think Boyle can win but they must play a very good game.