Alec Baldwin Shooting

ChickenWyngz

What a crazy story. Baldwin was on a set when he fired a prop gun, hitting 2 people, killing one of them. Social media is full of people calling for Baldwin to be treated just as an average citizen would be. Of course the state that this happened would factor into this, but what is on the books for something like this? 

The most troubling thing that I've seen (and I have not seen this widely reported so who knows) is that the director called for another take and Baldwin stated, "another take? How about I just shoot you" at which point he playfully fired toward them. 

I knew this story reminded me of something. In 1993, Brandon Lee (son of Bruce Lee) was shot on set with a prop gun. The gun was loaded with live rounds that were intended to be used to get shots of the round exiting the barrel of the gun. 

Unbelievably tragic and sad. 

4 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I knew this story reminded me of something. In 1993, Brandon Lee (son of Bruce Lee) was shot on set with a prop gun. The gun was loaded with live rounds that were intended to be used to get shots of the round exiting the barrel of the gun. 

Unbelievably tragic and sad. 

What, if any, was the punishment in the Brandon Lee case? Because honestly I'm not sure this is anything other than an accident and any fault lies with whomever is in charge of props.

13 minutes ago, theguru said:

Unless Baldwin tampered with the gun and/or put real ammo in it I don't see how he can be charged with anything. 

Now civilly the movie company it going to have to empty their pockets.  

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

May be a meme of 1 person and text that says 'Anti-gun actor E Me, evil gun owner @libertygungarage @p Killed a human with a gun Injured a human with a gun x'

That meme about sums it up....

As far as the charges, I agree. I don't see how there can be. I could see the propmaster being in a lot more hot water than Baldwin. 

I agree with the public outcry of treating him like you would anyone not famous, but I hope for that in any case. That doesn't mean they're automatically guilty. Even with his alleged comment, I think there is no way he thought he was firing a live round at anyone. 

29 minutes ago, theguru said:

Unless Baldwin tampered with the gun and/or put real ammo in it I don't see how he can be charged with anything. 

Now civilly the movie company it going to have to empty their pockets.  

They should hire pros to check/clear/authorize weapons.  The vast majority of the people using them in Hollywood are extremely anti-gun.  It seems like a rare recipe for disaster.  RIP to the deceased, very unfortunate.

Just now, John Anthony said:

They should hire pros to check/clear/authorize weapons.  The vast majority of the people using them in Hollywood are extremely anti-gun.  It seems like a rare recipe for disaster.  RIP to the deceased, very unfortunate.

The way I understand the industry that is exactly what they do.  Furthermore, I remember a time when a movie was being shot (no pun intended) locally and they had an issue with their prop gun and our top range/SWAT guy went to the movie set and took care of business for them. 

• Like 2

Alec Baldwin statement from WLWT.com via Twitter:

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation,” he wrote on Twitter. “My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

This seems like a very broad sweeping generalization. I doubt many, if any, on this board have a clue how prop weapons in feature films are regulated and managed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

This seems like a very broad sweeping generalization. I doubt many, if any, on this board have a clue how prop weapons in feature films are regulated and managed.

As luck would have it right before JA posted on it I listened to an experienced actor explain how it works and JA pretty much nailed it.  Additionally, at least me for one, had an experience with the process.  The point it, everyone should treat every firearm as a lethal killing machine at all times.  You can't be too safe.

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

As luck would have it right before JA posted on it I listened to an experienced actor explain how it works and JA pretty much nailed it.  Additionally, at least me for one, had an experience with the process.  The point it, everyone should treat every firearm as a lethal killing machine at all times.  You can't be too safe.

Absolutely cannot be too safe. 

My rifle or shotgun is put on safe, cleared, cleared again, action left open and never pointed at anyone as it is put in a case and the day ends. It was just how I was taught to do it. 

I honestly can't think of a good reason, in 2021, with all the effects we have in cinema, for a live round to even make its way to a set. Seems if you only allow blanks this could clear up any confusion with this issue, but even then, it never points at anyone. 

1 minute ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Absolutely cannot be too safe. 

My rifle or shotgun is put on safe, cleared, cleared again, action left open and never pointed at anyone as the day ends. It was just how I was taught to do it. 

I honestly can't think of a good reason, in 2021, with all the effects we have in cinema, for a live round to even make its way to a set. Seems if you only allow blanks this could clear up any confusion with this issue, but even then, it never points at anyone. 

My guns are loaded and ready to go.  Point and shoot...

• Like 2