HS Stat Question

Roundsteak

In high school, when a team is in a “victory” formation and the QB takes the snap, takes a few steps backwards before he takes a knee, is the lost yardage taken away from the QB’s rushing yardage or is it noted as a “Team” stat for the lost yardage? Just curious.

It is taken away from Team stats, but not the QB.  It is the same thing with a bad snap.  If the center snaps the ball over the head of the QB, that is a Team stat as well.  I currently have a beef with the KHSAA website about this very issue.  Their website automatically calculates team totals for rushing from the total of the individual players (which we see is incorrect).  I have raised the point, but I doubt they will ever change it.  MaxPreps gets it right.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, nkypete said:

It is taken away from Team stats, but not the QB.  It is the same thing with a bad snap.  If the center snaps the ball over the head of the QB, that is a Team stat as well.  I currently have a beef with the KHSAA website about this very issue.  Their website automatically calculates team totals for rushing from the total of the individual players (which we see is incorrect).  I have raised the point, but I doubt they will ever change it.  MaxPreps gets it right.

Maxpreps gets something right?

I guess a broken clock is right twice a day... 

10 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

Maxpreps gets something right?

I guess a broken clock is right twice a day... 

At least they allow a statistician to override the total rushing yards for a team to something different than the sum of the individual players.  The KHSAA website does not.