Vic Anderson/Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

0116cwb

Again congrats to Vic for being named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100, and as Beaumont is not included on that list, this is no place to compare/debate the similarities/differences between the two players.

And as far as your assessment of Vic, you obviously were not at this year's Bowling Green (MVP) or Highland's (again MVP) games, or last year's John Hardin, Lex. Cath or Bowling Green games (all were close games and Vic came through). And according to his coach, Vic can carry the team on his back, in fact, Glaser has been quoted as saying so.

I doubt if players being recruited as DB's appreciate your devaluation of their position, maybe you'd like to check with Beaumont on how he feels about your opinion of his projected possible college position.

1) My intent was to frame my concern about Anderson. I think I achieved that goal. Beaumont was just an example of a player that I thought played well through adversity in games of signifigance. I could have just as easily said Chase Minnifield, his performance against Trinity was spectacular.

2) Out of district games in the KHSAA structure are glorified practice sessions. By and large they don't matter in the grand scheme of things; for an example see Trinity '03. The only game outside of R2D4 and the playoffs that REALLY matters on X's schedule is Trinity. Those games you mentioned were not big games. X's really big games were against Trinity and Male.

3) You may think you're being clever by trying to frame my post as a rip on DBs, but it isn't so. RB is a position where a star player is expected to do big things on their own, more so than any other position in football. Corner backs can take away half the field, but it isn't the same thing. An interception doesn't just require a DB's ability- it also requires a QB throwing to his responsibility, and imperfections in that delivery. Even quarterback, a more pressure-packed position, isn't the same- in fact, it's the opposite, the QB is seen as probably the most team inter-dependant position on offense.

Anderson, in the BIG GAMES where X faced adversity, didn't do the big things. Just my opinion, I've expressed it before, and I know that I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

By the way, I still see Doug Beaumont as a WR for Louisville. They've had a lot of success with undersized recievers (Douglas currently, and you may remember a kid named Branch that caught a few balls for the Cards) and I think Beaumont is a playmaker and a half- they'll want the ball in his hand more than a couple of times a season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not in defense or support one way or the other but I will say that at a Major College fottball program, a single player will not have to carry a team. I know you did not say that but that is the fact, there are far too many players who contribute to the overall success of the team at the D-1 level. I will say that I saw Vic as sophomore against Scott County in the State Title game. He absolutely BLEW that game wide open. The game was not a blowout until Vic went wild and if Coach Glaser had kept him in the game for an extended period, we MAY have seen a record rushing performance. Mattingly got his share of carries AFTER Vic scored 2 to maybe 3 TDs, then he played a little more sparingly.

I guess I will say that Victor Anderson has a lot more potential for college than some may think. HE WILL need to stay healthy or he WILL get resruited over and play less. He has the uncanny sense of feeling the pressure, hit, goalline,etc. Has a natural lean when running and DEFINITELY keeps his feet moving.

As far as any comparisons with any other players, you need to expect that because everyone will want to see how their favorites stack up against some of the ELITE players. That would be a compliment in my book.

Again congrats to Vic for being named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100, and as Beaumont is not included on that list, this is no place to compare/debate the similarities/differences between the two players.

And as far as your assessment of Vic, you obviously were not at this year's Bowling Green (MVP) or Highland's (again MVP) games, or last year's John Hardin, Lex. Cath or Bowling Green games (all were close games and Vic came through). And according to his coach, Vic can carry the team on his back, in fact, Glaser has been quoted as saying so.

I doubt if players being recruited as DB's appreciate your devaluation of their position, maybe you'd like to check with Beaumont on how he feels about your opinion of his projected possible college position.

You may also sound as if you are KNOCKING on Doug Beaumont as well. They are two fairly different players who both have bright futures. As one plays on one side of the ball and can showcase his talent of running the football, the other plays darn near every snap of every game and DOES probably suffer in the regional and national spotlight because of that.

That is no fault of either player.

Well deserved congratulations to Victor Anderson and best of luck wherever he decides to take his talent for the next chapter in his young career.

^^No way, not putting that on me. Just pointing out why there was no grounds, in this thread, to compare/debate the similarities/differences between Doug and Vic. However, if you want to be genuine, and not reflect a double standard, in calling out your disapproval for "knocking" a player why not hold accountable these posts:

I predict that Victor will disappear.

or

I have never seen Anderson step onto the field and win the big game for his team

I have never seen Anderson turn a game around when it was in serious doubt for X. When Curley went down against Trinity in the title game last year, X needed Anderson to step up and he didn't.

Anderson just doesn't do it that way... I think it might have something to do with whether he's really meant to be a running back in college, or if he should be in a less proactive position, like DB, where you don't have to Make the Play, you just make plays.

3) You may think you're being clever by trying to frame my post as a rip on DBs...

Oh, you didn't need any help with that, I think you made that rip well enough on your own, with your:

whether he's really meant to be a running back in college, or if he should be in a less proactive position, like DB, where you don't have to Make the Play, you just make plays.

And to your:

Anderson, in the BIG GAMES where X faced adversity, didn't do the big things. Just my opinion, I've expressed it before, and I know that I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

Well, I know who didn't see it your way, football anaylists from:

2006 All-Bluegrasspreps.com Football Team

2006 1st team Courier Journal KY All-State High Scool Football Team

2006 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100

2006 1st team AP KY All-State High School Football Team

2006 KY Football Coaches Assoc District C0-Player of the Year

U.S. Army All-American Bowl Nominee

4* scout.com

6th APB national ranking rivals.com

etc., etc., etc.

^ I think Vic was a good HS RB...no more, no less.

As noted before, this resume of honors, from an extremely diverse group of more knowledgeable people in the football appraisal world, seems to disagree with your Rock opinion:

4* scout.com

etc., etc., etc.

Vic Anderson has been far beyond the term "good" as a high school running back, and I sincerely feel that his potential to Xcel has barely been taped as yet.

I will argue this point with you, RockPride, until the fires :fire: below freeze over; but I will also acknowledge your right to disagree. :fight:

^ Alright he was great, really, though it hardly equated in the biggest games of his career, paritcularly as he got older, NOW, he deserved every kudo in HS he gets/got/etc...BUT, I don't think he will be a "player" at RB in college, that is not something to be disappointed about.

Oh, you didn't need any help with that, I think you made that rip well enough on your own, with your:

And to your:

Well, I know who didn't see it your way, football anaylists from:

4* scout.com

etc., etc., etc.

:lol: Not much of a rebuttal when you fail to actually address my points.

Like I said, there is a natural and obvious difference between RB and DB in how much one player can be expected to take over a game.

As to the accolades, they're well deserved. He has a lot of talent. No one has said that he doesn't. However, credits such as 1st Team All State can be and were matched by players with not a lot of D-IA potential. He was clearly second in votes to another RB, even if he did make first team, where Nick Petrino (great player, could QB for me any day of the week and twice on Fridays) doesn't exactly have recruiters trampling his mother's flower garden, but was possibly a more solid selection. He's fairly highly ranked in online recruiting guides, but that is CERTAINLY not the end-all as to who will be accomplished or star players on the next level.

No one freaked out when I said basically the same thing during the season; I don't know why it's being taken so personally now.

This is not in defense or support one way or the other but I will say that at a Major College fottball program, a single player will not have to carry a team. I know you did not say that but that is the fact, there are far too many players who contribute to the overall success of the team at the D-1 level. I will say that I saw Vic as sophomore against Scott County in the State Title game. He absolutely BLEW that game wide open. The game was not a blowout until Vic went wild and if Coach Glaser had kept him in the game for an extended period, we MAY have seen a record rushing performance. Mattingly got his share of carries AFTER Vic scored 2 to maybe 3 TDs, then he played a little more sparingly.

I guess I will say that Victor Anderson has a lot more potential for college than some may think. HE WILL need to stay healthy or he WILL get resruited over and play less. He has the uncanny sense of feeling the pressure, hit, goalline,etc. Has a natural lean when running and DEFINITELY keeps his feet moving.

As far as any comparisons with any other players, you need to expect that because everyone will want to see how their favorites stack up against some of the ELITE players. That would be a compliment in my book.

Funny that the best post in support of Anderson has to come from you. ;)

I agree with the things you say. I would call Anderson a precocious and skilled runner, who does a lot of little things that put him in another class when he stepped on to the field. But he was not the star that in my opinion he should have been.

If people would stop to think about that, there's a compliment in there, especially to a player with all of his college and possible pro career ahead of him.

As to your first point, GBB, I don't meant that a player has to be Barry Sanders to be a contributor on the college level. I mean that at this level of play, a player that will end up as a high-major starter typically will have the type of play in big games that I described. They'll rise to the occasion on this level, the best example I can think of being Bush and Brohm in '02. I don't think Anderson has done that as well as others I've seen.

^^No way, not putting that on me. Just pointing out why there was no grounds, in this thread, to compare/debate the similarities/differences between Doug and Vic. However, if you want to be genuine, and not reflect a double standard, in calling out your disapproval for "knocking" a player why not hold accountable these posts:

or

I believe the "holding them accountable" was already being taken care of! :thumb: