Ravens 47 Browns 42

That was a whale of a game, with plenty of drama.  3rd down and two, with just over two minutes remaining, and Lamar Jackson in the locker room, the 2nd string QB goes down on his own with what looks like a knee injury.  Just then, Jackson comes trotting out of the locker room and in to the game to replace his backup.  The Ravens are down by one point.  It's 4th and 5, and Jackson rolls right with a RB out front.  Cleveland defenders look like they aren't sure who should come up to stop Jackson so they both get caught in between and Jackson hits Marquis Brown who is alone through the middle and he scores.  Baltimore converts the two point conversion.  So, Cleveland is down by 7 with a score of 42-35.  There is 1:51 left in the game.  Baker Mayfield leads his team down the field through the air.  They hit the out routes to stop the clock.  It is precision passing and precision execution.  At the Baltimore 22 yard line, he hits Kareem Hunt for a short out route.  Hunt makes the first guy miss and then it's a foot race to the end zone.  He gets hit at the one and looks like he will be forced out of bounds but he is able to control his body enough to twist and extend the ball over the goal line for a TD.  Extra point is good.  It is a tied game with 1:04 left in the game and the Ravens have onw time out.  Four passes later, three to Mark Andrews, and the Ravens are 37 yards away from the goal line with two clicks remaining on the clock.  The kicker comes on to attempt a 55 yarder...

The two extra point differential in the score comes from multiple attempts by Cleveland to lateral the ball across the field but instead they wind up back in their own end zone for a safety to end the game.

It stinks to lose, but it was an exciting game all the way to the end.  

• Thanks 1

That was a great game to watch. That is probably Baker Mayfield's best game ever, even though it ended up in a loss. As far as passing alone goes, Mayfield clearly outplayed Lamar. But Lamar is special. HIs running ability is so much fun to watch and makes him so tough to defend, as that last TD pass showed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

He missed on a number of passes last night. That is on him. He needs to get better throwing the ball. He would admit that.

I agree Lamar is going to have to get better throwing the ball because the amazing runs have an expiration date. 

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

He missed on a number of passes last night. That is on him. He needs to get better throwing the ball. He would admit that.

Of course he misses passes, and of course he needs to improve. 

Doesn't change the fact that he has zero help. 

3 hours ago, oldgrappler said:

That was a whale of a game, with plenty of drama.  3rd down and two, with just over two minutes remaining, and Lamar Jackson in the locker room, the 2nd string QB goes down on his own with what looks like a knee injury.  Just then, Jackson comes trotting out of the locker room and in to the game to replace his backup.  The Ravens are down by one point.  It's 4th and 5, and Jackson rolls right with a RB out front.  Cleveland defenders look like they aren't sure who should come up to stop Jackson so they both get caught in between and Jackson hits Marquis Brown who is alone through the middle and he scores.  Baltimore converts the two point conversion.  So, Cleveland is down by 7 with a score of 42-35.  There is 1:51 left in the game.  Baker Mayfield leads his team down the field through the air.  They hit the out routes to stop the clock.  It is precision passing and precision execution.  At the Baltimore 22 yard line, he hits Kareem Hunt for a short out route.  Hunt makes the first guy miss and then it's a foot race to the end zone.  He gets hit at the one and looks like he will be forced out of bounds but he is able to control his body enough to twist and extend the ball over the goal line for a TD.  Extra point is good.  It is a tied game with 1:04 left in the game and the Ravens have onw time out.  Four passes later, three to Mark Andrews, and the Ravens are 37 yards away from the goal line with two clicks remaining on the clock.  The kicker comes on to attempt a 55 yarder...

The two extra point differential in the score comes from multiple attempts by Cleveland to lateral the ball across the field but instead they wind up back in their own end zone for a safety to end the game.

It stinks to lose, but it was an exciting game all the way to the end.  

When the Browns took the lead at the end I was thinking of you.  Short lived, but still. 

• Like 1

Just now, theguru said:

I really enjoyed this one and I assume that safety at the end was the difference in the spread?

I believe the number was 3. I don't pay any attention to that so I don't know how that works if the number was 3 and the game ended up a 3 point game. But if that safety changed the winners and the losers, aren't there just as many people happy with the safety as there are upset with the safety? 

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I believe the number was 3. I don't pay any attention to that so I don't know how that works if the number was 3 and the game ended up a 3 point game. But if that safety changed the winners and the losers, aren't there just as many people happy with the safety as there are upset with the safety? 

I don't gamble but I assume the number was right around three (give or take) and right, there were some happy peeps and some not so happy peeps. 

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't gamble but I assume the number was right around three (give or take) and right, there were some happy peeps and some not so happy peeps. 

The spread was -3 for the Ravens.  The difference was 5.  A lot of people were very upset when the Ravens covered on a play like that.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps I misunderstood then. I was assuming you were referring to his passing. What is the purpose of your comment that he needs help?

It was a general statement, one that could be made after virtually every Ravens game. He does need quality receivers. Not one guy he has would be a #1 or maybe even #2 option on most teams. You decided to take a shot at his passing, for whatever reason. 

Just now, nkypete said:

The spread was -3 for the Ravens.  The difference was 5.  A lot of people were very upset when the Ravens covered on a play like that.

And an equal number of people were very happy that the Ravens covered on a play like that. 

As I mentioned above, I never bet on anything so far be it for me to understand. But I think when they make the line they are trying to split the bettors so it's 50% on each side of the bet. They don't really care which way the bet goes. It always gets me when people get focused on something like that safety last night as if it was a "bad beat" when there are an equal number of people who think it was a fantastic win.