2020 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

theguru

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Interesting. I heard the Beechwood game against Cooper was a tight game till Cooper scored a couple late touchdowns. Cooper beat Ryle 26-0 and you think Ryle is better than Beechwood?

To make it simpler for why I also think Ryle and Campbell are better than Beechwood. Campbell County took undefeated CovCath to triple overtime. Then Ryle was able to beat Campbell County 14 to 13. 

Beechwood has a very good freshman team. Especially with them being a small school. I just believe a few of these other teams are better. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Ryle credit as well they have played this season without their QB from 8th grade as he is starting JV and backing up Lyons on varsity so they have been working to find a solid replacement. 

Beechwood is solid but with a mixture of 8th and 9th graders they can run into issues v a larger team.

Cooper has a big strong line and has a strong run game. Super happy for these kids after struggling as 8th graders - lots of potential.

Cov Cath is the best frosh team in my humble opinion - solid system from varsity on down and have some good solid players. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, futurecoach said:

To make it simpler for why I also think Ryle and Campbell are better than Beechwood. Campbell County took undefeated CovCath to triple overtime. Then Ryle was able to beat Campbell County 14 to 13. 

Beechwood has a very good freshman team. Especially with them being a small school. I just believe a few of these other teams are better. 

I've watched all of Cov Cath's freshman games, minus the game last week against Conner. The Colonels only score in regulation was on a pick-6 by Willie Rodriguez, who may well be the best athlete on the team. The Cov Cath offensive line was pretty much listless in Week 1 against Campbell County. Their first downs were all a result of their quarterback scrambling and then throwing the ball away to open receivers at the last second, or else their running back Owen Leen, who is also one of the best athletes on the team, simply broke free of tacklers and managed to pick up some yardage by sheer force of will. Campbell County's defensive front was pretty solid, and they were able to foil the offensive line and/or break down the pocket virtually every play. But Campbell's tackling was very inconsistent, and their defesive secondary didn't do well at all covering Cov Cath's receivers. The overtime result was a credit to the skills players for Cov Cath.

Simon Kenton's freshman team has a lot of room for improvement, to put it nicely. Having the Pioneers as a Week 2 opponent was a good opportunity for Cov Cath's offensive line to improve in a game-play situation. The improvement by the Colonels' O-line from Week 1 against Campbell County to Week 3 against Highlands was quite honestly remarkable...so I give a lot of credit to the coaches and the players both for that.

My point, here, is that if Cov Cath and Campbell County were to face off at this point in the season, I think you'd see a drastically different outcome. I haven't seen anything from Ryle (or any other team) to give my any kind of real educated opinion on those teams, but just based upon what I've seen out of Cov Cath and their competitors, I think it's hard to judge Campbell County with Cov Cath as a measuring stick just because the measuring stick has notably changed.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've watched all of Cov Cath's freshman games, minus the game last week against Conner. The Colonels only score in regulation was on a pick-6 by Willie Rodriguez, who may well be the best athlete on the team. The Cov Cath offensive line was pretty much listless in Week 1 against Campbell County. Their first downs were all a result of their quarterback scrambling and then throwing the ball away to open receivers at the last second, or else their running back Owen Leen, who is also one of the best athletes on the team, simply broke free of tacklers and managed to pick up some yardage by sheer force of will. Campbell County's defensive front was pretty solid, and they were able to foil the offensive line and/or break down the pocket virtually every play. But Campbell's tackling was very inconsistent, and their defesive secondary didn't do well at all covering Cov Cath's receivers. The overtime result was a credit to the skills players for Cov Cath.

Simon Kenton's freshman team has a lot of room for improvement, to put it nicely. Having the Pioneers as a Week 2 opponent was a good opportunity for Cov Cath's offensive line to improve in a game-play situation. The improvement by the Colonels' O-line from Week 1 against Campbell County to Week 3 against Highlands was quite honestly remarkable...so I give a lot of credit to the coaches and the players both for that.

My point, here, is that if Cov Cath and Campbell County were to face off at this point in the season, I think you'd see a drastically different outcome. I haven't seen anything from Ryle (or any other team) to give my any kind of real educated opinion on those teams, but just based upon what I've seen out of Cov Cath and their competitors, I think it's hard to judge Campbell County with Cov Cath as a measuring stick just because the measuring stick has notably changed.

All great points. However, wouldn’t it be fair to say. That chances are Campbell probably improved since in the areas they may have struggled in that game. Much like Covcath has improved up front since that game. It’s not like Covcath is the only team who could have possibly gotten better from week 1 until now. 

All we know is in week one it took 3 overtime’s for Covcath to beat Campbell. Chances are Campbell has also improved since that day, much like Covcath. 

So I do think it is very fair to use it as a measuring stick. Since can’t just assume since, Covcath May have improved in the area they were weak that day. That Campbell didn’t also improve in the areas they were weak that day. 

Professional lurker here, but wanted to chime in on a few things and ask a question.  I've seen a couple of CovCath freshmen games and I think the analysis above from @Colonels_Wear_Blue is pretty spot on.  The one thing that stood out to me in particular with the Highlands game was how well Cov Cath tackled.   And I mean, across the board.  Just fundamentally impressive.   I actually thought the Highlands D looked really good in the first half, but then seemed unable to adapt to some of the changes Cov Cath made at half time, plus the fact that they were on the field a whole lot in that second half.  (Kind of eerily similar to the the varsity game Friday night, maybe there's a trend here, but who am I to say). 

I also had a question about Cooper, and this mainly has to do with me being generally new to NKY, but I saw them play a couple times last year as 8th graders, and after those experiences, I would not have guessed they would be undefeated at this point in their freshmen year.   Did they vastly increase their numbers, or get some key transfers, etc?   I was just curious.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

Professional lurker here, but wanted to chime in on a few things and ask a question.  I've seen a couple of CovCath freshmen games and I think the analysis above from @Colonels_Wear_Blue is pretty spot on.  The one thing that stood out to me in particular with the Highlands game was how well Cov Cath tackled.   And I mean, across the board.  Just fundamentally impressive.   I actually thought the Highlands D looked really good in the first half, but then seemed unable to adapt to some of the changes Cov Cath made at half time, plus the fact that they were on the field a whole lot in that second half.  (Kind of eerily similar to the the varsity game Friday night, maybe there's a trend here, but who am I to say). 

I also had a question about Cooper, and this mainly has to do with me being generally new to NKY, but I saw them play a couple times last year as 8th graders, and after those experiences, I would not have guessed they would be undefeated at this point in their freshmen year.   Did they vastly increase their numbers, or get some key transfers, etc?   I was just curious.   

Lurkers are always welcome here on BGP, but when you've got good stuff to add to the conversation...and you just did...we're definitely really glad to have that too. Welcome to BGP, @observerbynature!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

Welcome to BGP @observerbynature!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

All great points. However, wouldn’t it be fair to say. That chances are Campbell probably improved since in the areas they may have struggled in that game. Much like Covcath has improved up front since that game. It’s not like Covcath is the only team who could have possibly gotten better from week 1 until now. 

All we know is in week one it took 3 overtime’s for Covcath to beat Campbell. Chances are Campbell has also improved since that day, much like Covcath. 

So I do think it is very fair to use it as a measuring stick. Since can’t just assume since, Covcath May have improved in the area they were weak that day. That Campbell didn’t also improve in the areas they were weak that day. 

I definitely think it's fair to say that Campbell County has improved on their weaknesses since Week 1. I guess my point should have been more that, Cov Cath really, REALLY improved drastically since Week 1. Like more than I would have ever expected any aspect of a freshman team to improve over the course of a season, much less the course of two weeks.

55 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Part of the reason for the CovCath improvement up front is they were missing a starter in the games against Campbell and Simon Kenton. Seth Jones was out with a hip injury and returned for the Highlands game. Big and athletic kid who makes a difference in the line play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Part of the reason for the CovCath improvement up front is they were missing a starter in the games against Campbell and Simon Kenton. Seth Jones was out with a hip injury and returned for the Highlands game. Big and athletic kid who makes a difference in the line play.

One of Barry's boys?

• Thanks 1