2020 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

theguru

So hard to tell because so many team's have kids pulled up. I would love to see Ryle let all their freshman play against Cov Cath because just like when Cov Cath played Highlands we had to hear about their RB being the best in the NKY. Ryle Fresh QB is supposed to be the best in his class. I also think you have to consider that these freshman coaches are still trying to figure who is who and where they should play. Besides the first game against Campbell the only team that has scored on Cov Cath's #1 defense was Highlands and they shut them down the rest of the game. I have heard rumors that Cov Cath is trying to get Cooper to play the last game of the year. That would also answer a lot of questions.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ukat1 said:

Just following up on the Cooper question. They had a couple of lineman playing up as freshman last season and have had a transfer from the Cov Cath 8th grade team come over who played TE and LB. 

8 hours ago, observerbynature said:

Professional lurker here, but wanted to chime in on a few things and ask a question.  I've seen a couple of CovCath freshmen games and I think the analysis above from @Colonels_Wear_Blue is pretty spot on.  The one thing that stood out to me in particular with the Highlands game was how well Cov Cath tackled.   And I mean, across the board.  Just fundamentally impressive.   I actually thought the Highlands D looked really good in the first half, but then seemed unable to adapt to some of the changes Cov Cath made at half time, plus the fact that they were on the field a whole lot in that second half.  (Kind of eerily similar to the the varsity game Friday night, maybe there's a trend here, but who am I to say). 

I also had a question about Cooper, and this mainly has to do with me being generally new to NKY, but I saw them play a couple times last year as 8th graders, and after those experiences, I would not have guessed they would be undefeated at this point in their freshmen year.   Did they vastly increase their numbers, or get some key transfers, etc?   I was just curious.   

Ukat1 basically already answered it. Cooper had two solid 8th graders that started freshman football for them last season. They are now true freshman and already had a year experience playing freshman football as 8th graders

They got a player back who played for Covcath’s middle school team last year. Which Cooper is actually their home school where they live, and his older brother was the starting QB for Cooper a few years back. So he just decided to go to the school where he lives at, instead of Covcath. 

Then I would just say probably some of those players from that 8th grade team have just grown some and gotten better. Like the QB for Cooper is really good, and he played for that Cooper middle school team last year, and has made great improvements like others have and is one of the top QBs in freshman football now. 

4 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

So hard to tell because so many team's have kids pulled up. I would love to see Ryle let all their freshman play against Cov Cath because just like when Cov Cath played Highlands we had to hear about their RB being the best in the NKY. Ryle Fresh QB is supposed to be the best in his class. I also think you have to consider that these freshman coaches are still trying to figure who is who and where they should play. Besides the first game against Campbell the only team that has scored on Cov Cath's #1 defense was Highlands and they shut them down the rest of the game. I have heard rumors that Cov Cath is trying to get Cooper to play the last game of the year. That would also answer a lot of questions.

I believe Cooper already has Highlands on the schedule for the first week of November, which is the last week that freshman are allowed to play. Unless with all this Covid stuff this year, rules have changed and freshman are allowed to continue playing after the Varsity playoffs start. Usually freshman teams are not allowed to though. 

4 hours ago, observerbynature said:

I heard Highlands beat Dixie Heights tonight, 34-0.  

That’s really impressive. Dixie has a really good freshman QB in Brach Rice, who is also the backup varsity QB. Did he play in the game, or has he moved up for good now? Either way that is an impressive win for Highlands. 

8 hours ago, futurecoach said:

That’s really impressive. Dixie has a really good freshman QB in Brach Rice, who is also the backup varsity QB. Did he play in the game, or has he moved up for good now? Either way that is an impressive win for Highlands. 

I had a chance to watch some of this on film.  That QB is an impressive athlete, and he did play the whole game.  Later in the game they actually moved him to RB.   He really didn't get any help in this game though.  They might have only had one first down in the first half.  Several bad snaps put them in bad positions throughout the game.    All that being said, credit to Highlands, who I would say definitely played their most complete game so far this year.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a guess at N. Ky. freshman rankings based on info found here and other threads on BGP:

1. Covington Catholic 

2. Highlands 

3. Campbell County 

4. Cooper

5. Dixie Heights (froshmore?)

I think that's fair.   Have Ryle and Dixie played?   I know Ryle is a little tricky cause their freshman QB is not playing with the freshman, but I still think that's a solid group of kids, that are well coached.   Highlands seems to be really hitting their stride and will need to cause they still have games against NCC, Campbell and Cooper.   I'm sure this gets said every year, but man I wish there was some type of freshmen post-season, cause a Highlands-CovCath rematch would be a good thing for football fans in general.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

I think that's fair.   Have Ryle and Dixie played?   I know Ryle is a little tricky cause their freshman QB is not playing with the freshman, but I still think that's a solid group of kids, that are well coached.   Highlands seems to be really hitting their stride and will need to cause they still have games against NCC, Campbell and Cooper.   I'm sure this gets said every year, but man I wish there was some type of freshmen post-season, cause a Highlands-CovCath rematch would be a good thing for football fans in general.  

Freshman players who are not playing with their freshman team have no bearing on the rankings. We are ranking freshman teams, not freshman class or talent in the school. 

Likewise, Dixie apparently has some sophomores playing on their freshman team. I still include Dixie in the ranking because I am ranking freshman teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a guess at N. Ky. freshman rankings based on info found here and other threads on BGP:

1. Covington Catholic 

2. Highlands 

3. Campbell County 

4. Cooper

5. Dixie Heights (froshmore?)

I probably would put Ryle ahead of Dixie. Ryle  has three losses on the year, but two of those losses were against Highlands, and the other against Cooper. Ryle also though has a win over Campbell County. 

As someone mentioned it is a shame that there can’t be a freshman playoffs. I think this year, it would have been a very competitive playoff bracket. 

• Like 3