Highlands at Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2020 at 11:00 PM

"Pride week," "rivalry week," "the game week"...the name may switch depending on which program you support and which team your big rival is, but the message is the same: it is THE big one when it comes to the regular season schedule. During my days playing at Cov Cath, it was "Highlands week," but what made that even more distinct was that we may have had a different opponent the week before, but the week before, that usually just felt like "the week before Highlands week". The Highlands game was the game we were locked in on from the time we started putting on any helmets or pads in the spring.

Friday marks the 72nd edition of the Highlands/Covington Catholic football rivalry, a rivalry that dates back to Cov Cath's second season of varsity football in 1968. Even in its first years, it was clear that the game was a big one, with Highlands taking the first game 14-0, then Cov Cath returning in 1969 to win 35-6, and Highlands claiming back bragging rights in 1970 with a 54-0 shellacking of the Colonels.

In its most recent years, Cov Cath is enjoying their longest-ever win streak over the Bluebirds, with 5 straight wins over the course of 4 years. Previous to Cov Cath's recent streak, Highlands laid claim to their longest-ever win streak over the Colonels, with 15 straight wins over the course of 9 years. Highlands' stretch of wins, from 2007-2015, begged the question several times here on BGP, "Is Cov Cath vs. Highlands really a rivalry?" Regardless of opinions outside of those two programs, within the Highlands and Cov Cath communities, that question wasn't even worth inquiring about. Of course it is.

With only one change of victors in the last 20 meetings on the field, there may still be some doubters about the rivalry...but you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

This year, the Colonels are coming into the game off of an open week with a 4-0 record and a RPI of 0.64687. The Bluebirds carry a 3-2 record and a RPI of 0.57291. Looking at their one common opponent thus far in the season, district opponent Boone County, the Birds took down the Rebels last week in a 43-0 shutout, and the Colonels took down the Rebels the week prior with a 45-7 win. That in and of itself seems to show some makings of a good game on Friday in Park Hills. But it also bears stating that not anything is a sure thing for either of these two teams. The Colonels had far closer-than-comfortable wins in their first two games, to the point where they could have easily been looking at an 0-2 start to their season rather than a 2-0 start with a couple of plays going the other way. And in their last two games, Cov Cath looked a little slow-to-start on offense despite the resounding wins on the final scoreboard. The Birds also came out a little flat, losing to Simon Kenton in their season opener at home, and then getting trounced by a high quality Boyle County team in Week 3. But after losing twice to Conner last year, Highlands had a very solid performance in Week 4, shutting the Cougars out 36-0 at Conner.

This has the makings of a very close game, but looking through my blue-tinted glasses (that's royal blue...err...Covington Catholic royal blue), I'm going to give this one to Cov Cath by a touchdown.

1518482137_CovCathvsHighlands.thumb.jpg.409d3d652755d0abe0a8d5e809d05f0b.jpg

• Like 4

I’ll take the Colonels by 7, 24-17. I’m expecting this to be a competitive game, but Caleb makes some big throws down the field to get the job done. I thought he played great last year, even though the box score didn’t show it because of some drops. 

On defense I think we’re pretty tough to run against so it’ll come down to how well Highlands throws the ball. Anyway, I’m expecting this to be tight throughout and having Gronotte at kicker is a huge advantage in these types of games.

Best rivalry in the state in my opinion, CWB's write up summed it up pretty good. Cov Cath week had a totally different feel from the rest of the season.   I am reminded of a conversation between Ricky Bobby and Jean Girard.... Cov Cath needs Highlands, and Highlands needs Cov Cath. These two programs of similar size and values have boosted each other to higher levels than they would be at if the other program did not exist. That's is what truly makes this rivalry great.

I am excited about this one. Over the past 3 or 4 years it seemed like a tall order for Highlands to even get this game close.  2018 at Highlands it was a pretty close game, but that is it.  All the other games have been pretty rough blowouts. Prior to that the last close games were in 2015 which was kind of the changing of the guard year between the two programs. I hope that this game is at least a close, competitive, fun to watch game. My brain says Cov Cath by 7 or so, but my heart says it's a toss-up game that will be decided in the last minute. I hope my birds are hungry for this one and play like they have nothing to lose. 

• Like 1

This will be a close one. If CCH brings their "A" game then they should win. If CCH brings all the slow starts, mental mistakes, turnovers, and all the penalties they have each game then they will lose. I hope the bye week will make them better prepared. I hope the 6'7" tight end plays. I hope the O-line opens up holes for the Owen Nally and gives better pass protection for Caleb. CCH defense has been doing a good job so far but the Highlands QB likes to run so hopefully CCH is prepared for that.  But its simple, CCH should win if they play flawless football. 

24-21 CCH

Want to add, the 2019 regular season game was  also a close one.  With HHS being the only team in the state of KY to hold CCH to only one touchdown in multiple years.  (It was one touchdown, 2 field goals). 

This Friday should be a good game.  Overall, the team is young with their varsity players (sophomores- seniors).  They are motivated, coachable, having fun, and developing each week.  A very fun team to watch!

• Like 3