South Laurel 80 North Laurel 37

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is South that good, or is North that bad??

North is down. They graduated seven seniors from last year's club. There's some talent, but it's pretty inexperienced.

And like Les said, South is pretty darned good, and they played real well to boot.

South looked gooood tonight, don't understand why most of the starters were in with five minutes remaining in the game when you're up by 40, though.

Les, you know exactly why, ... the very same reason several South Laurel 'adult' fans booed the North Laurel cheerleaders so loudly when they went on the floor to cheer during a break in the game, or why a large number of cars in the parking lot with North Laurel flags and stickers were egged after the game.... because it was North Laurel. Simple as that. Still way too much real hatred between the adults of these 2 schools. Left alone, the kids would be fine. But that is another topic.

I don't agree with it and would have rested my starters with a big lead and a tough game against GRC the very next day. I think it came back to bite them on Saturday. Wright is a great coach, but he has some awfully good younger players who could have gotten some quality varsity time in a big crowd environment which could help them down the road. I think it was a mistake IMO.

[/b]

The North coach was pretty upset about that too.

I don't blame him. The Jags are VERY young to say the least. The past 2 seasons the Jags have graduated 14 seniors (7 in 2005 & 7 more in 2006) and only have 2 seniors on the roster this season and hardly any players with with any varsity experience. I am sure Coach Conway didn't like to have his young kids get their noses rubbed in it.

Another thing that hurt NL this season was that the PG for this year for the Jags was supposed to be frosh PG Matt Gilbert, but after playing varsity as an 8th grader, he transferred to South Laurel this season as a frosh when a new assistant baseball coaching position was created and his father, Keith Gilbert (former NL head baseball coach and an assistant basketball coach at NL last season) was hired for that position. Good thing everything is on the up and up in Laurel County these days! ;)

I don't blame him. The Jags are VERY young to say the least. The past 2 seasons the Jags have graduated 14 seniors (7 in 2005 & 7 more in 2006) and only have 2 seniors on the roster this season and hardly any players with with any varsity experience. I am sure Coach Conway didn't like to have his young kids get their noses rubbed in it.

Another thing that hurt NL this season was that the PG for this year for the Jags was supposed to be frosh PG Matt Gilbert, but after playing varsity as an 8th grader, he transferred to South Laurel this season as a frosh when a new assistant baseball coaching position was created and his father, Keith Gilbert (former NL head baseball coach and an assistant basketball coach at NL last season) was hired for that position. Good thing everything is on the up and up in Laurel County these days! ;)

It seems like North usually gets the short end of the stick in Laurel Co. The Gilbert transfer is just another example of what I hear from some North Laurel fans is just status quo. I hope that Coach Conway does get his payback that he was talking about some day.

People, NL has had to deal with this since the school was created. As I said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, as long as SL is allowed to cherry pick NL's best players, NL will not be able to compete. The cherry picking starts as early as little league baseball. I've watched it first hand for the last 10 years. IMO, hiring a coach to get his son eligible is about as low as it gets.

People, NL has had to deal with this since the school was created. As I said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, as long as SL is allowed to cherry pick NL's best players, NL will not be able to compete. The cherry picking starts as early as little league baseball. I've watched it first hand for the last 10 years. IMO, hiring a coach to get his son eligible is about as low as it gets.

Why do the powers that be let South do whatever they want to?

Was he the head baseball coach and assistant basketball coach last year?

:fight:

Was he the head baseball coach and assistant basketball coach last year?

:fight:

He was just an asst. basketball coach last year at North Laurel and is now an asst. baseball coach at South. Will GJ still help this year as well?

He was just an asst. basketball coach last year at North Laurel and is now an asst. baseball coach at South. Will GJ still help this year as well?

With his son Trey having one final year of baseball at SL, and with GJ and Jeremy Brown being so close, I think you can bet on it.

Yes, it does go on often, but you really are kidding yourself if you think it doesnt go both ways..............maybe take a little trip down to the middle school at North and and check out two of the 8th grades finest and just ask where they were playing last year. But i'd say you probably already know.;)

Yes, it does go on often, but you really are kidding yourself if you think it doesnt go both ways..............maybe take a little trip down to the middle school at North and and check out two of the 8th grades finest and just ask where they were playing last year. But i'd say you probably already know.;)

I know NL's 8th grade team got a new kid, his family built a house in the North district, imo much different than what's been discussed.