Bracken County names Adam Reed the new boys basketball coach.

Congrats to Adam Reed!!!

Adam has been instrumental in the development of both kids from Augusta and Bracken County over the years.

Great guy with a passion for basketball played in Bracken County.

I wish him the best of luck at getting to live out a livelong dream!!!

Adam Reed is no joke as a basketball coach. If he is allowed adequate access to the gym his program will become a formidable competitive force in the 10th Region. If his hands are tied, as others have been in the past, the chemistry will erupt again. Good luck Coach Reed, Bracken has gotten a winner!

Adam Reed is no joke as a basketball coach. If he is allowed adequate access to the gym his program will become a formidable competitive force in the 10th Region. If his hands are tied, as others have been in the past, the chemistry will erupt again. Good luck Coach Reed, Bracken has gotten a winner!

With the above being said, any thoughts as to why Augusta, as a program where he was involved at the middle school level and 2 of his kids attend, didn’t hire him?

Great article in the Maysville newspaper this morning giving Coach Reed's basketball bio. If I wasn't so inept, I would attach it. Perhaps some other BGP member might do so?

I've linked the article below, written by Evan Dennison. It's pretty informative. And as Opie said, it certainly seems like Coach Reed knocked on Augusta's door twice.

The last time the Bracken County boys’ basketball program was able to raise a banner, Adam Reed was on the team playing a role in the Polar Bears 1998 10th Region All “A” title. Reed is hoping to hoist a couple more, this time as a coach.

Reed was officially named Bracken County’s next boys’ basketball coach on Wednesday in a press release from the school.

“This is a dream come true,” Reed said. “I’ve always wanted to be a head coach and run my own program and glad Bracken County gave me this opportunity. This means everything to me. My whole existence has really been nothing but basketball. From teachers to coaches to my wife and kids, everything is constantly basketball. To be able to do this at Bracken County where I’ve fought, sweat and bled…means the world to me.”

Coaching in high school was something Reed’s wanted for a couple of years now, inquiring at Augusta and Mason County for coaching jobs. Things didn’t work out in his favor in those scenarios, so he’d give it another shot with Bracken County.

“It basically started with Mason County, I wanted to be a part of a historical program that goes to the state tournament and has that chance every year. I wasn’t from Maysville, didn’t go to Mason County, so that door shut on me pretty fast,” Reed said. “So I decided to go down to Augusta with my kids and trusted them with Coach Kirk. It was an easy decision to go down there with family and friends. When Coach Kirk left, maybe it was a sign for my time to coach. So I put in for it last year and they decided to give it to Roger Newton, who I have a great respect for and what he did there. When he left it gave me a second opportunity in 12 months to get the Augusta job. With all the hard work and dedication I committed to the program, I thought they’d give me an opportunity and they didn’t. So you know what they say, when one door closes, another one opens.”

The door now opens to his old home, a gym where he scored over 1,000 points as a Polar Bear, was a teammate of current principal Jamey Johnson and a player under current Athletic Director Daniel Fisher, the two heavily involved in the hiring process.

“I remember Adam of his will of wanting to win more than anything. I feel like we need to instill that into the Polar Bears which is fire and passion,” Johnson said. “Adam had a strong basketball IQ as a player, knew where to be on the floor, knew where others needed to be on the floor. I felt in the interview he still had that passion, that desire was there. He hasn’t lost that passion, it only got stronger.”

Reed replaces Jason Hinson, who departed back for Augusta after four seasons with Bracken County, going 51-70 with the Polar Bears. Reed will also be bringing his two sons, Blake and Cayden to help with the rebuilding process. Blake averaged 12.9 points per game with the Panthers last season as a seventh grader. Cayden will be entering the seventh grade.

Reed ready for Bracken bench | Ledger Independent – Maysville Online