This is getting old ...

I was hoping that, as a country, we could move past this obscene need to gain and hold power at any cost, and move on to doing what is in the best interests of our nation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/19/wus19.xml

I understand that for either party to help the country the most (as they see it), they need to be in power. I have no problem with that, except that, as they drive for power, a lot of good people get trampled in the process, and corruption becomes almost endemic to the process.

As Susan Powter used to say: "Stop the Insanity!"

Frances

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Character assasination and ruthless personal attacks are plays No. 1 and 2 in the Karl Rove and Mitch McConnell playbook, so be prepared to see the kitchen sink thrown at both these ladies.
Totally unlike Carville, Begala, McAuliffe, Dean, et. al. :lol:

Come on Jim... :D

2 weeks ago it was the democrats, this week it's the republicans. It's not going to stop. Not ever. I think most people would understand that by now. With the lock the 2 major parties have I don't see how even a voter revolt could change the environment.

Character assasination and ruthless personal attacks are plays No. 1 and 2 in the Karl Rove and Mitch McConnell playbook, so be prepared to see the kitchen sink thrown at both these ladies.
I'm cracking up Jimbo...

I noticed your new avatar of Jack Lambert, and below it "The future Mrs. Jim Shue" :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be one bad dude... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry for anything I've ever posted that may have offended you... :eek: :eek: :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2 weeks ago it was the democrats, this week it's the republicans. It's not going to stop. Not ever. I think most people would understand that by now. With the lock the 2 major parties have I don't see how even a voter revolt could change the environment.

75 -

I think you are quite right. In my opinion, this country could really benefit from the emergence of a viable third party.

The biggest problem with the current slate of parties (other than the big two) is that they are too oriented to a single issue (i.e. Green Party, etc.).

What we really need (in my opinion), is a strong movement to form a "Moderate" party. One that doesn't pursue votes from either the extreme right wing or the extreme left wing voters. One that doesn't play to the religious crowd, nor tries to promise the sun and the moon to the segment of our populace that has lived at the government trough for generations untold.

We need a group that demands true fiscal accountability, and transparency in government.

While I'm dreaming, I'll say that the "Moderate" party should also have a strict policy of "No attack ads" and that it should be written in stone.

Frances

Frances

:thumb: Where do I register? I'd like to think it will happen in my lifetime but I grow more and more discouraged all the time.

Who knows, 75? Perhaps the ball starts rolling right here ...

Let's see what the response is from the rest of the participants on the board.

Frances

Who knows, 75? Perhaps the ball starts rolling right here ...

Let's see what the response is from the rest of the participants on the board.

Frances

I'm apathetic...

...and yes, I'd prefer that you leave the "a" attached to the front of the "pathetic"... :lol:

I'm apathetic...

...and yes, I'd prefer that you leave the "a" attached to the front of the "pathetic"... :lol:

That reminds me of the joke about Bear Bryant, who had reached the end of his rope with a truly gifted football player that simply wasn't playing to his potential.

After multiple attempts to motivate the kid, Bryant asked him "Which is it Jones - are you ignorant or apathetic?"

The football player shrugged his shoulders and replied "Gosh coach - I don't know, and I just don't care"....

Frances

75 -

I think you are quite right. In my opinion, this country could really benefit from the emergence of a viable third party.

The biggest problem with the current slate of parties (other than the big two) is that they are too oriented to a single issue (i.e. Green Party, etc.).

What we really need (in my opinion), is a strong movement to form a "Moderate" party. One that doesn't pursue votes from either the extreme right wing or the extreme left wing voters. One that doesn't play to the religious crowd, nor tries to promise the sun and the moon to the segment of our populace that has lived at the government trough for generations untold.

We need a group that demands true fiscal accountability, and transparency in government.

While I'm dreaming, I'll say that the "Moderate" party should also have a strict policy of "No attack ads" and that it should be written in stone.

Frances

I'm dreaming with you Frances, although I believe it's the only answer. How would we get a "Moderate" party started? Would it have to start with some kind of petition to put it on a national ballot or is it much simpler? Who would be our #1 candidate? He/She would have to be special, never a democrat or republican. We definately don't have much to choose from out of the existing parties.

I'm dreaming with you Frances, although I believe it's the only answer. How would we get a "Moderate" party started? Would it have to start with some kind of petition to put it on a national ballot or is it much simpler? Who would be our #1 candidate? He/She would have to be special, never a democrat or republican. We definately don't have much to choose from out of the existing parties.

Excellent questions, Skinpig. I would think that such a party would have to grow from a group of motivated individuals that had some access to the media. Once the message was out in public, it would then be a matter of connecting with the people that would fund a drive to establish a headquarters and development of the infrastructure.

I would disagree (though not vehemently) with your assessment that we would need a candidate that was neither Republican or Democrat. Personally, I don't really care what their background WAS, rather, I want to know that they are committed to governing from the center and not an extreme. I think both parties have people that could fill this role, and there would (without a doubt) be some people that would like to align themselves with such a platform.

Frances

Excellent questions, Skinpig. I would think that such a party would have to grow from a group of motivated individuals that had some access to the media. Once the message was out in public, it would then be a matter of connecting with the people that would fund a drive to establish a headquarters and development of the infrastructure.

I would disagree (though not vehemently) with your assessment that we would need a candidate that was neither Republican or Democrat. Personally, I don't really care what their background WAS, rather, I want to know that they are committed to governing from the center and not an extreme. I think both parties have people that could fill this role, and there would (without a doubt) be some people that would like to align themselves with such a platform.

Frances

The problem I have with having a candidate that was either republican or democrat is that for the most part they are all "Professional Politicians". Well, maybe not all of them, but I'm sure the pickings are very slim. The new party would need a real horse-sense kind of person, someone thats not been in the mix. I firmly believe it doesn't take a "Professional Politician" to get this country on the right track. The sad part about it is...The media would make a joke out of a real person that tried to run. An even sadder thing is...Most american voters would laugh along with the media.