Giuliani begins the trek ...

There are few Republicans more socially conservative overall and particularly in regard to right to life issues than am I. However, the truth is that, unless there is a major shift of reality, Huckabee and Frist cannot win. Neither can Romney. McCain and Giuliani can win. Do you prefer Hillary Rodham or Obama?

As I said, we better get ready to support the lesser of the evils in order to win. The alternative for social conservatives is unacceptable.

There are few Republicans more socially conservative overall and particularly in regard to right to life issues than am I. However, the truth is that, unless there is a major shift of reality, Huckabee and Frist cannot win. Neither can Romney. McCain and Giuliani can win. Do you prefer Hillary Rodham or Obama?

As I said, we better get ready to support the lesser of the evils in order to win. The alternative for social conservatives is unacceptable.

Good point SB. I, like you, am a passionate conservative and a McCain or Giuliani is still way more conservative than what the other side will offer. They also should be strong on national defense.

Good point SB. I, like you, am a passionate conservative and a McCain or Giuliani is still way more conservative than what the other side will offer. They also should be strong on national defense.

That's why I said I wouldn't vote for them in the primaries. General election will be a whole 'nother matter.

I agree with the above said, and if the voters are smart(and the dems) they'll get McCain or Giuliani in the mix more. It's one thing to vote for your party and liberally, but it could be something many may regret to vote for a popularity contest, based on what you sorta want...

Being a strong conservative republican, I can not see myself casting a vote for Giuliani...I'm really undecided at this time...

I think the above will be Rudi's challenge. He doesn't exactly fit the profile of the Christian right wing of the party.

I'm not familiar with his stances but it does sound like he did a heck of a job in New York. But it's a big leap from mayor to president, even mayor of NYC. Has it ever been done?

I've heard of a couple of books out that assert Giuliani's coordination of the response to the 9/11 attacks was actually a hindrance to the NYFD and NYPD from doing their job, primarily because he failed to follow established protocol and decided to do things his way.

"Giuliani has been subject to increased criticism for downplaying the health effects of the air in the Financial District and lower Manhattan areas in the vicinity of the Ground Zero. He moved quickly to reopen Wall Street, and it was reopened on September 17. However, in the weeks after the attacks, the United States Geological Survey identified hundreds of asbestos hot spots of debris dust that remained on buildings. By the end of the month the USGS reported that the toxicity of the debris was akin to that of a household cleaner. The city's health agencies, such as the Department of Environmental Protection, did not supervise or issue guidelines for the testing and cleanup of private buildings. Instead, the city left this responsibility to building owners.

"Firefighters, police and their unions, have criticized Giuliani over the issue of protective equipment and illnesses after the attacks. An October study by the National Institute of Environmental Safety and Health said that cleanup workers lacked adequate protective gear."

I've heard of a couple of books out that assert Giuliani's coordination of the response to the 9/11 attacks was actually a hindrance to the NYFD and NYPD from doing their job, primarily because he failed to follow established protocol and decided to do things his way.

"Giuliani has been subject to increased criticism for downplaying the health effects of the air in the Financial District and lower Manhattan areas in the vicinity of the Ground Zero. He moved quickly to reopen Wall Street, and it was reopened on September 17. However, in the weeks after the attacks, the United States Geological Survey identified hundreds of asbestos hot spots of debris dust that remained on buildings. By the end of the month the USGS reported that the toxicity of the debris was akin to that of a household cleaner. The city's health agencies, such as the Department of Environmental Protection, did not supervise or issue guidelines for the testing and cleanup of private buildings. Instead, the city left this responsibility to building owners.

"Firefighters, police and their unions, have criticized Giuliani over the issue of protective equipment and illnesses after the attacks. An October study by the National Institute of Environmental Safety and Health said that cleanup workers lacked adequate protective gear."

Giuliani was advised by his top aides that it was safe to re-open, and he re-opened. There are several that share the blame for that particular lack of public health foresight, but then again noone had really ever encountered this before on such a large scale. I give MORE credit to Giuliani for making public statements that he wanted to re-open as a mental sign to his country and to the terrorists that NYC would not be defeated. You may also remember that it was Giuliani who convinced the NFL to get back on schedule when they had intended on remaining closed for several weeks. "Don't ever let them see you sweat."

There are always going to be stone-chippers picking, after the fact, at the way he handled a never-before seen situation, but the bottom line is he was a ROCK in a time of unparralleled crisis, and that's the guy I want quarterbacking the country, not some sweaty-under-the-armpits type.

^ All of the above having been said, I like Rudi and would support him, unless someone more likeable comes along that is a tad more conservative on some fiscal issues I care about. I really like Mike Huckabee, too, but without some Clinton-type marketing, I don't think he can win.

At this point, boys, I'm willing to make the deal with the devil on fiscal issues even if it comes at the expense of some social ones.

^ All of the above having been said, I like Rudi and would support him, unless someone more likeable comes along that is a tad more conservative on some fiscal issues I care about. I really like Mike Huckabee, too, but without some Clinton-type marketing, I don't think he can win.

At this point, boys, I'm willing to make the deal with the devil on fiscal issues even if it comes at the expense of some social ones.

President HUCKABEE.

SNL and Jon Stewart would have one hilarious field day with that.:lol:

I was referring to his management of New York City during his time in office, not 9-11 in particular.

...At this point, boys, I'm willing to make the deal with the devil on fiscal issues even if it comes at the expense of some social ones.

Well, I don't think Satan himself needs to be party to the negotiations, but if we don't get someone in office that will make the hard decisions about fiscal issues, we are going to have to consider filing chapter 11 as a country ....

Frances

PS - note to Fastbreak - loved the graphic ... :thumb: