Scouts and footballs

bluethunder

I was at the HHS/SO game tonight and a scout from another team sat a couple of rows down from me. I know he was a scout because he was taking notes and also taking digital pictures during certain times of the game. My question to those in the know is it common practice to take digital pictures? Also, on a side note South Oldham was playing with a Wilson 1001 football. I thought schools had to use a Rawlings.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHSAA playoff instructions for rounds 1-4 addresses this, but their statement is confusing. It first says any ball with the NFHS mark, then it says it must be a Rawlings ball.

Go to this link, scroll down to page 4 under GAME BALLS.

Participating teams may use any legally approved football in games. The game balls used must contain the NFHS authenticating mark and must be a Rawlings brand football. For the championship games, the Rawlings Company will be providing the game footballs, and you may wish to use the same balls in earlier rounds.

I was at the HHS/SO game tonight and a scout from another team sat a couple of rows down from me. I know he was a scout because he was taking notes and also taking digital pictures during certain times of the game. My question to those in the know is it common practice to take digital pictures? Also, on a side note South Oldham was playing with a Wilson 1001 football. I thought schools had to use a Rawlings.

Seems, like the KHSAA would really like you to play with a Rawlings, but then again maybe just in the finals???

As for digital picks, since football teams trade game film each week anyway, I'm not sure how this is an advantage.

It is illegal to secretly film a game, punishable by a $300 fine from the KHSAA. I'm not sure about digital pictures, but I would guess it isn't acceptable among the coaching fraternity even if it isn't specifically forbidden by rule.

Anybody know anything about this? Is it common?

It is illegal to secretly film a game, punishable by a $300 fine from the KHSAA. I'm not sure about digital pictures, but I would guess it isn't acceptable among the coaching fraternity even if it isn't specifically forbidden by rule.

Anybody know anything about this? Is it common?

Most digital cameras have the ability to record movies as well. Not the best quality.

Seems, like the KHSAA would really like you to play with a Rawlings, but then again maybe just in the finals???

As for digital picks, since football teams trade game film each week anyway, I'm not sure how this is an advantage.

You are right about exchanging films but you don't get the game that is being played that night. I observed the individual only taking pictures when the special teams were on the field. Punt, punt return, kickoff and extra points.

It is called professional courtesy. No one from an upcoming opponent should be taking pics or filming, it's like a gentleman's agreement that a team will not do this.

During the regular season we exchange film of the two prior games. During the playoffs we usually get the week before and that current week. We will exchange on Sat morning so we get the night befores game.

The football ? is a good one. I was under the impression that the Rawlings ball had to be used in the playoffs. I guess in depends on the ref crew and how particular they want to be w/the rule but if it is a rule it should have been inforced. You would think all teams would buy the Rawlings ball to use all yr in case they make playoffs!

The Rawlings ball only has to be used at the finals because they actually supply all the game balls for each of the KHSAA Championship Games. They are a major sponsor of the NFHS (of which the KHSAA is a member), but the state can't usually make a school district buy a specific brand of anything. Otherwise, any legal ball with the NFHS authenticating mark (regardless of brand) can be used in the regular season or playoff rounds 1-4.

offside

The Rawlings ball only has to be used at the finals because they actually supply all the game balls for each of the KHSAA Championship Games. They are a major sponsor of the NFHS (of which the KHSAA is a member), but the state can't usually make a school district buy a specific brand of anything. Otherwise, any legal ball with the NFHS authenticating mark (regardless of brand) can be used in the regular season or playoff rounds 1-4.

offside

I have a question with a different slant. In the finals, I believe that the game balls have to be used by kickers. Is that true? It also is permissible, I believe to use the marked kicking balls during the early round of the playoffs. In the Bell County game, the kicking ball was taken in by the kicker for an attempted 53 yard field goal. The referee refused to exchange the ball, (which they did do on PAT attempts). The kicker was told that the ball was "already set and in play." The problem with that is that Bell had stopped play with a timeout at the time! Play had not resumed until the snap, etc. Instead of the warm kicking balls that most usually try to have ready on sideline, a cold game ball was used. Naturally, the kick fell short at 53 yards, though in the kicker's range all year. Was the referee wrong?

I have a question with a different slant. In the finals, I believe that the game balls have to be used by kickers. Is that true? It also is permissible, I believe to use the marked kicking balls during the early round of the playoffs. In the Bell County game, the kicking ball was taken in by the kicker for an attempted 53 yard field goal. The referee refused to exchange the ball, (which they did do on PAT attempts). The kicker was told that the ball was "already set and in play." The problem with that is that Bell had stopped play with a timeout at the time! Play had not resumed until the snap, etc. Instead of the warm kicking balls that most usually try to have ready on sideline, a cold game ball was used. Naturally, the kick fell short at 53 yards, though in the kicker's range all year. Was the referee wrong?

The referee was absolutely right. Only legal game balls approved by the referee may be used during the contest and other than the following instances, the referee decides when a new ball is brought in.

1. Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs. (Your choice on kickoffs and 1st downs, so long as it's an approved GAME ball, not a special kicking ball).

2. If a touchdown occurs following a change of possession and the scoring team did not put the ball in play, any referee-approved ball may be used for the try. (That means either the scoring team's ball or the opponent's ball can be used for the try. The referee will usually get the scoring team's ball in, but he is not obligated to do so).

3. If the ball is wet, the referee may order the ball changed between downs. (That means it's up to the referee, not the quarterback).

Otherwise, the ball does not get changed.

offside

The referee was absolutely right. Only legal game balls approved by the referee may be used during the contest and other than the following instances, the referee decides when a new ball is brought in.

1. Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs. (Your choice on kickoffs and 1st downs, so long as it's an approved GAME ball, not a special kicking ball).

2. If a touchdown occurs following a change of possession and the scoring team did not put the ball in play, any referee-approved ball may be used for the try. (That means either the scoring team's ball or the opponent's ball can be used for the try. The referee will usually get the scoring team's ball in, but he is not obligated to do so).

3. If the ball is wet, the referee may order the ball changed between downs. (That means it's up to the referee, not the quarterback).

Otherwise, the ball does not get changed.

offside

Thanks, OFFSIDE. Why do the referees require the kicker to have the kicking game balls approved and marked prior to the game? Is the issue here only that the ball cannot be changed during the series? I know that they have allowed "K" marked balls in for other FG attempts in other games. Were they wrong? Can you help here?