McCarron back to Bengals? - Signed with the Oakland Raiders

What has Dalton done to show he would win a job elsewhere? Especially when you take away talented receivers like an AJ Green to throw to? We all have seen first hand how Dalton doesn't look that great once things around him aren't as good. 2014 when his receiver core was banged up he struggled. We have seen how he looks without a good line in front him. Yet for most of his career he has had talented guys to throw to, and has had only two seasons where you can say were above average.

No one has an idea how Dalton would do when you put him on a team with not much talent on offense. What we can do is see how he looks at the times when he hasn't had talent around him here, and how he hasn't looked good. However he has been one of the more fortunate QB's in the league, and most fortunate Bengal QB in history with being blessed at having talent around him most of his time as the QB.

You put Dalton on a team with not much around him offensively. He would look pretty bad as we have seen. Meaning he may not have a job long. McCarron his few starts with the Bengals was very Dalton like. Meaning yes he was average as well, but he managed be average without having all the experience Dalton had. He also managed to make plays Dalton has yet to make in the big games.

There are very few QB’s who will do well without good players around them. Almost every “star” QB has at least one other top level player around them. That’s why I don’t put much stock in the scenario that you keep putting out there to claim Daulton is no good. Who cares how a QB plays on a team without talent. A team without talent isn’t winning games....doesn’t matter who they have playing QB. I also don’t see where Mcarron has made big plays in big games. In his one playoff game he barely completed 50% of his passes, threw a pick that led to a field goal (the Bengals lost the game by 2 points), had two fumbles, and had a terrible first half. Mcarron getting shipped out of Buffalo tells you all you need to know. Again, Daulton wins the Buffalo job hands down.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are very few QB’s who will do well without good players around them. Almost every “star” QB has at least one other top level player around them. That’s why I don’t put much stock in the scenario that you keep putting out there to claim Daulton is no good. Who cares how a QB plays on a team without talent. A team without talent isn’t winning games....doesn’t matter who they have playing QB. I also don’t see where Mcarron has made big plays in big games. In his one playoff game he barely completed 50% of his passes, threw a pick that led to a field goal (the Bengals lost the game by 2 points), had two fumbles, and had a terrible first half. Mcarron getting shipped out of Buffalo tells you all you need to know. Again, Daulton wins the Buffalo job hands down.

Agree to disagree. We seen in 2014 dalton struggles without star receivers. We seen now he struggles without a line and bad. Shoot we seen him struggle against almost every good team he plays even with talent. Put him in buffalo with a bad line and not much around him to throw to. I think if he won it, it would only be by default because of experience. But would lose the job as the year went on.

As for the playoff game. With Dalton when he starts off a game bad. He never turns it around. Shoot he never has had a good playoff game either. McCarron in the rain started off bad no doubt, but then when it mattered made the throws when it counted that should have won the game. He did that without all the experience of Dalton. He has just as many td passes in one playoff game as Dalton in 4.

Agree to disagree. We seen in 2014 dalton struggles without star receivers. We seen now he struggles without a line and bad. Shoot we seen him struggle against almost every good team he plays even with talent. Put him in buffalo with a bad line and not much around him to throw to. I think if he won it, it would only be by default because of experience. But would lose the job as the year went on.

As for the playoff game. With Dalton when he starts off a game bad. He never turns it around. Shoot he never has had a good playoff game either. McCarron in the rain started off bad no doubt, but then when it mattered made the throws when it counted that should have won the game. He did that without all the experience of Dalton. He has just as many td passes in one playoff game as Dalton in 4.

I understand the frustration with Daulton. But there honestly is no comparison between what Daulton has accomplished in his career vs what Mcarron has in what amounts to a handful of starts. There are a dozen NFL teams that would take Daulton as a starter. The team with the worst QB situation in the NFL, coming off a playoff appearance, wanted nothing to do with Mcarron, trading him for very little. That alone tells you all you need to know.

I understand the frustration with Daulton. But there honestly is no comparison between what Daulton has accomplished in his career vs what Mcarron has in what amounts to a handful of starts. There are a dozen NFL teams that would take Daulton as a starter. The team with the worst QB situation in the NFL, coming off a playoff appearance, wanted nothing to do with Mcarron, trading him for very little. That alone tells you all you need to know.

I had to stop. There is no purpose in trying to argue anything with him. He won't even think about changing his stance on this.

This! Dalton is an average starting QB in the NFL (probably in the 13-20 range in rankings). Not great but not terrible. AJ McCarron is no better than a quality back up. The word from Buffalo in camp before the pre-season games started was that he was the 3rd best QB on THAT roster. I really like AJ...seems like a good dude and you have to give him props for getting HIS wife to say yes:). But there is a reason why teams are not giving him the starting job.

It was pretty well known whoever didn't get the starting job between him and Peterson. That other guy would be released, or traded. McCarron was basically done when he got hurt on the second series on the game he started. He didn't get to finish that game and also couldn't play the third preseason game because recovering from the injury. That sealed his fate.

It’s not this post in particular that draws my response, but rather a knowledge of what you said in the past....

I would think a guy with the supposed leadership skills of AJ would be able to lead 2s against 2s, or even 3s against 3s. He should just have that “It” factor you love to cite.

The grass isn’t always greener, which leads me to my main objective this season, #Free18

It’s not this post in particular that draws my response, but rather a knowledge of what you said in the past....

I would think a guy with the supposed leadership skills of AJ would be able to lead 2s against 2s, or even 3s against 3s. He should just have that “It” factor you love to cite.

The grass isn’t always greener, which leads me to my main objective this season, #Free18

Well to respond to that post. He started preseason game 2. Was out with injury by second series. Pre season game 3 didn't even get to play due to that injury. So his chances of being the starter now were gone due to the injury. Pre season game 4 where it's with all backups and then also guys who wont make the team. After struggling he did lead a bunch of guys who wont even make the team to a huge 4th quarter comeback by scoring 3 fourth quarter touchdowns to win the game.

So thanks for basically supporting my previous statements with that post. Because as you said the "it" factor should work no matter what group you are working with and it showed it did by that 4th quarter comeback. So thanks for supporting my opinion.

With that said. Let Green do his thing!