Coolest Game Day Traditions in College Football

Wireman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I 100% approve of live mascots. They’re all great.

Ever since I can remember, USF fans have been pushing for a live bull to lead the team onto the field. I tried to warn them early on, but they argue Texas has Bevo and Colorado has Ralphie.

Bevo is not a bull, he's a steer. The fight is cut off of him, and they drug him.

Ralphie the Buffalo is not a bull, either. In fact, he is a she. A cow.

Rocky II was the latest attempt to tame a bull to be the mascot. Just like Rocky I, they fed him crowd noise and the band from the time he was a calf. It never took and he damn near tore a barn down, multiple times. I believe they tried to medicate him, too. What I heard was that the amount needed to calm him, put him to sleep. They want a bull, so a steer is out. Ain't gonna happen.

I can see it, now. The bull runs out on the field, the band starts playing the fight song, the cannons go off, and he goes crazy. The teams, band, and cheerleaders find themselves in Tampa's version of the running of the bulls. The sheriff's department shoots the poor thing and PETA goes nuts.

Wait. I want to see that!!!

Ever since I can remember, USF fans have been pushing for a live bull to lead the team onto the field. I tried to warn them early on, but they argue Texas has Bevo and Colorado has Ralphie.

Bevo is not a bull, he's a steer. The fight is cut off of him, and they drug him.

Ralphie the Buffalo is not a bull, either. In fact, he is a she. A cow.

Rocky II was the latest attempt to tame a bull to be the mascot. Just like Rocky I, they fed him crowd noise and the band from the time he was a calf. It never took and he damn near tore a barn down, multiple times. I believe they tried to medicate him, too. What I heard was that the amount needed to calm him, put him to sleep. They want a bull, so a steer is out. Ain't gonna happen.

I can see it, now. The bull runs out on the field, the band starts playing the fight song, the cannons go off, and he goes crazy. The teams, band, and cheerleaders find themselves in Tampa's version of the running of the bulls. The sheriff's department shoots the poor thing and PETA goes nuts.

Wait. I want to see that!!!

Yeah I would buy a ticket to that first game. :lol2:

This may not be the coolest tradition, but it is the newest.

Instead of a live bull, USF engineering students came up with a motorized fake bull. It is supposed to rain all night Saturday. This should be fun to watch.

Check out the video's in the link. The fiberglass bull has glowing red eyes and blows smoke out of it's nostrils. (Why not glowing green eyes?)

"After months of design and development, accompanied by a bit of trial and error, USF is ready to roll out an innovative new game-day element.

Replete with bells, whistles…and even smoke-bellowing nostrils.

A motorized, black fiberglass bull — built by roughly a dozen USF engineering students — will be unveiled before Saturday's season opener against Elon. It will be showcased in the "Bulls Bay," a fan-experience area in the south plaza outside Raymond James Stadium.

Ultimately, the goal is for the bull (which doesn't yet have a name) to chug across the back of the north end zone (between tunnels A and B) after each USF touchdown."

USF bringing motorized bull to Raymond James Stadium