Raceland 2018

Ram

How much will Gunnur Lewis’ role increase in the offense this year? He showed flashes of what he was capable of last season, but took a back seat in the passing game to Cam, Dalton, and Judd, who's a great receiver out of the backfield. His speed and big play ability would give Raceland's offense a dimension it hasn't had in a while.

I look for Gunnur to have a huge role in the offense this year. I think we will be able to be more vertical this year, which will open up our run game and vice versa.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we didnt have the ability to utilize the speed we had at WR as much as, I'm sure everyone, would have liked. This year, I dont expect that to be the case. Gunner showed the ability to go up and get the jump balls, which along with his speed, makes him a very substantial threat any time a ball goes his way. He is one if those kids that just has something special. What's crazy is he was a very late bloomer in terms of toughness and his mentality. Very proud of him.

The press box has been moved and now awaiting the new home bleachers and the pouring of the new track. The field will look amazing soon!!!

I noticed the work being done and wondered what all was going on outside of the home side bleachers. What will the buildings on the west side of campus become? Also that big pile of dirt near those buildings has some of the best looking grass I've ever seen growing on top of it. It's like someone layed sod over top of it hah.

They're building a new Raceland middle school that will house 4th-8th grade but the 4th and 5th graders will be in a different section of the building than 6th through 8th. It replaces Worthington Elementary which was built in 1927.

They're building a new Raceland middle school that will house 4th-8th grade but the 4th and 5th graders will be in a different section of the building than 6th through 8th. It replaces Worthington Elementary which was built in 1927.

Just put the lights up and the irrigation is in place at the JFL field. Planted Bermuda....It will be one of the nicest JFL fields around.

I noticed the work being done and wondered what all was going on outside of the home side bleachers. What will the buildings on the west side of campus become? Also that big pile of dirt near those buildings has some of the best looking grass I've ever seen growing on top of it. It's like someone layed sod over top of it hah.

They moved the bus garage and it opens up the parking. We have new bleachers being installed, plus the new goal posts...….rumor is, the track surface will be orange. I haven't confirmed this, but it sounds cool.

The QB you speak of was a Ram in grade school and has wanted to come back since he left and each year it's been talked about that he was. To my knowledge he hasnt officially enrolled at Raceland yet. The lineman has and is fitting in well on our side of the pond. As for the QB, theres alot that goes into him transferring. He is a former Ram with a great set of parents trying to get him in the best situation possible. He himself is a great kid and I for one would love to see him back in RamLand.
I had heard that the kid was staying at Ironton, not sure. I usually don't pay attention to the pre season rumors. Seems they go around every spring, summer at a lot of places. Most are just that … rumors.

an experienced OL and a stable of great RBs that could potentially produce 2 1000 yard running backs in Hunter and Judd. Who ever the QB is, all they will need to do is make smart decisions throwing the ball and complete enough passes to keep the defense in a balanced set and not be able to load the box. The transfer would take us to another level, imo and we would get 2 years out of him, but unless things are done the right way, its not worth the risk to either party. And I think Heighton gives us just as good a shot at getting back to Lexington and he would give us a potential 3 year starter by his senior year. No matter what, things are looking good for the Rams.

:thumb: There is no shortage of a QB1 , no matter who he will be. A QB isn't going to have to win the game here, just manage the game and spread the ball around.... and that will have more to do with the play calling. I do hope that they don't run as much of the one back set this season. With the experienced , talented RB's imo both need to carry the ball a lot more evenly.

I think the opinion in Raceland is that anything less than a State finals game this year going to be a disappointment. We have many talented kids returning and I think our schedule is extremely tough. Ashland, Greenup, Ports West, Somerset, Russell, Paintsville will definitely challenge us to be better because all these teams are talented and very good.

State finals is the goal in every season here. We've only accomplished that once but the expectations remain the same. Not that fans can be unrealistic at times, or anything like that. :sssh: :D

We had a lot of defensive holes to fill for last season as well and it turned out pretty good. I feel like we have several program guys that are ready for their shot at playing time.
Yep, I can't count the number of times in my 50 + years watching the Rams that I had thought that "we've lost too much from last season". Only to see kids step up and fill in the gaps from the previous graduating class.

The sources are so varied. I can tell you I'd be surprised if the QB you speak of leaves Ironton. I am good friends with his dad and we laugh a lot at these sources and rumors. I have heard he is already enrolled at Ashland, Russell, looked at GC and was going back to Burg as well as coming to Raceland. All of this talk was because Ironton was without a Head Coach. They have a coach and I expect you'll see him playing at Tank Memorial Stadium for 2 more years.

I have always heard, "never say never", but I honestly think the talk is dying down. As for all the Raceland move "talk", I think most of it started because the kid and his dad watched our playoff games. Ironton wasn't playing, so they watched us play.

Haven't you heard ….. Nick Saban has resigned at Bama and will be named the new head coach at Raceland. :eek:

The press box has been moved and now awaiting the new home bleachers and the pouring of the new track. The field will look amazing soon!!!

The Rams athletic facilities along with the new schools / campus should be awesome when all is completed. A lot of Pride here with our school system, academics as well as all athletic teams …. girls and boys.

Edited by Runcible Owl
Fixed broken quote

Summer weights and workouts are going well. Raceland boys are staying focused on showing last year wasn't a fluke.

Doc, tell them that's the word going around. Of course, f or the most part that's coming from the people who couldn't make it past the 2nd week (if that far) of their own playoff. :sneaky:

One thing i keep playing over in my head is that last year, very few people thought we could get out of the second round of the playoffs and even fewer people, myself included, expected us to win a regional championship. If you look back over the history of Raceland football, you will see a handful of teams that many fully expected to not inly accomplish those things, but surpass them by not only making it to the carpet, but winning there. It takes a little luck and a bounce of the ball here and there to get out of the east, as there are usually 3-5 teams that are always knipping at each others heels. Last years "dark horse" and state runner up, took advantage of each opportunity. That, imo, sets the bar even hire for this years squad, who is arguably going to be better, atleast on the offensive side of the ball. But, from a regular season standpoint, last years squad was simply a solid run game, with some atheletes, but no consistent passing game, but played great fundamental defense that had us right there to win the games we lost. That must continue. With that and a more balanced offense, I think the sky is the limit for the 2018 Rams. Pikeville is goina be tough for the next couple years, but I think we will be right therr with them. As will Hazard and Paintsville. Wont be an easy task as usual. But I see no reason why we cant be back in Lexington on Nov 30.

I look for Gunnur to have a huge role in the offense this year. I think we will be able to be more vertical this year, which will open up our run game and vice versa.

Raceland's defense was championship quality last year. I was impressed with their defense in the title game. Their offense needs to improve. In last year's title game, not one offensive player had double digit yardage and they had only 8 passing yards in a game they trailed the whole way. A one dimensional offense is not going to beat Beechwood. I agree with you that Raceland needs to develop their passing game and a balanced offense.

One thing i keep playing over in my head is that last year, very few people thought we could get out of the second round of the playoffs and even fewer people, myself included, expected us to win a regional championship. If you look back over the history of Raceland football, you will see a handful of teams that many fully expected to not inly accomplish those things, but surpass them by not only making it to the carpet, but winning there.

For the first time in a few years, Raceland is probably the outright favorite to win their region. Each of the past three seasons, it was Paintsville. Obviously, the Tigers are still right there, but Raceland should begin 2018 as the region favorite.

I kind of wonder how Salmons and his staff are approaching this upcoming season, from a psychological standpoint. Does he want his kids to embrace the role of hunted (rather than hunter) in the East, or will he downplay it and want them to maintain the predator mentality. Both approaches have their upside.