If you combined programs from two geographically close schools...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised.

Even at multiple times in history, Belfry and Pikeville weren't the best in Pike County. My Cougars are long gone, but we still remember our glory.

East Ridge, Pike County Central, Phelps, and Shelby Valley could probably win against any school.

Millard,Feds Creek, Elkhorn City, Mullins, Johns Creek,

Virgie, Dorton & Phelps..... Heck, throw in Hellier while I'm at it, best mascot name ever in Kentucky! :up:

Even at multiple times in history, Belfry and Pikeville weren't the best in Pike County. My Cougars are long gone, but we still remember our glory.

East Ridge, Pike County Central, Phelps, and Shelby Valley could probably win against any school.

I'd wager if you did that, and consolidate the other county schools, they'd win against a PHS/BHS unholy union

No, no they wouldn’t......

When is the last time a Pike County school beat Belfry?

Has any of the current schools in Pike County ever beat a Belfry?

Of the current County Teams:

Belfry is 11-0 vs. East Ridge outscoring them 563-25

Belfry is 1-0 vs. Phelps outscoring them 49-0

Belfry is 26-0 vs. Pike Central outscoring them 1190-246

Belfry is 11-0 vs. Shelby Valley outscoring them 563-25

Against current County teams, 49-0 outscoring them 2365-296

Average Final Score of 48-6

Adding in the schools which no longer exist on their own:

2-0 against Virgie outscoring them 69-6

15-1 against Johns Creek outscoring them 574-120

13-2 against Elkhorn City outscoring them 515-78

ALL-TIME AGAINST PIKE COUNTY

62-3

Average Final Score: 55-8

The last time a Pike County School beat belfry was 1974 when Elkhorn City defeated them 16-14.

Belfry has a 62-game winning streak against Pike County Schools

Including Pikeville:

Belfry has won 57 of their last 58 games against teams from inside Pike County.

The loss was that 29-20 defeat to the Panthers in 2014

Do I think an "All-Pike County Consolidated Team" could have beat Belfry a few times in the past 20 years? Maybe so.

I don't think there has ever been a point that they would have collectively beat a Pikeville/Belfry consolidated team, in fact I would say the lopsided scores would mirror what Belfry has done to the individual County Schools.

Oh yes they would. Don't be vexing. The individual schools/communities polling together, tied with good coaching, can produce a championship quality football team. Remember Pikeville pulls kids from Pburg, and surrounding counties. Belfry pulls kids from Mingo County.You don't see kids transferring from Grundy, Betsy Layne, Wise, or anywhere to ER, Phelps, Pike Central, or Shelby Valley.

It's not like the kids are different. They grow up in the same socioeconomic environment as everyone else. Difference comes from coaching and program building. If you take pure base talent and give an equal coach, yeah the county schools will win some, not all, but some games. Any other thought is irrelevant and ignorant to Pike County Athletics.

Oh yes they would. Don't be vexing. The individual schools/communities polling together, tied with good coaching, can produce a championship quality football team. Remember Pikeville pulls kids from Pburg, and surrounding counties. Belfry pulls kids from Mingo County.You don't see kids transferring from Grundy, Betsy Layne, Wise, or anywhere to ER, Phelps, Pike Central, or Shelby Valley.

It's not like the kids are different. They grow up in the same socioeconomic environment as everyone else. Difference comes from coaching and program building. If you take pure base talent and give an equal coach, yeah the county schools will win some, not all, but some games. Any other thought is irrelevant and ignorant to Pike County Athletics.

Good discussion but a couple things:

First, Pike Central has definitely benefited from transfers. Some of the best players in PC's history were either transfers from out of the area or players who left the Belfry or Pikeville school districts seeking more playing time. Remember, of all the teams in Pike County only one has been hit with KHSAA sanctions for recruiting (and that's only in football).

Secondly, let's not skim over the last bolded point. If you consolidated Jenkins, Phelps, and Betsy Layne and miraculously gave them the support, facilities, tradition of success, Coach Haywood in his prime, and a feeder program with years of success and experienced players and coaches... of course they would win.

With that said, this is not an easy formula. In fact it is darn near impossible. It took Haywood how many years to win a State Title? To get a program to that type of level literally takes the perfect storm, a little luck, and a one in a thousand coach.

Good discussion but a couple things:

First, Pike Central has definitely benefited from transfers. Some of the best players in PC's history were either transfers from out of the area or players who left the Belfry or Pikeville school districts seeking more playing time. Remember, of all the teams in Pike County only one has been hit with KHSAA sanctions for recruiting (and that's only in football).

Secondly, let's not skim over the last bolded point. If you consolidated Jenkins, Phelps, and Betsy Layne and miraculously gave them the support, facilities, tradition of success, Coach Haywood in his prime, and a feeder program with years of success and experienced players and coaches... of course they would win.

With that said, this is not an easy formula. In fact it is darn near impossible. It took Haywood how many years to win a State Title? To get a program to that type of level literally takes the perfect storm, a little luck, and a one in a thousand coach.

I agree to a lot of this. Pike Central has had some problems lately....Didn't see the success or problems with Chris MacNamee...Wonder how Eric Ratliff will fare with the Hawks.

On your last point, it took Jack Hall two years to capture the 64 crown. Delano Thomas made it there in six. Just a little pride in me.