Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Next Kentucky Coach After Cal?

Featured Replies

There is NO slam dunk hire that is a remote possibility. UK will hopefully get someone that can handle all that there is with this job and someone that can win in March. If a coach can win the press conference and consistantly win more games than they lose in March it will work for them.

 

As for me I'd be happy skipping the "Good" coach and just going ahead and hiring the "Drunk" coach, that way we can get back to the "Great" coach quicker. :lol2:

  • Replies 77
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see Rick Pitino become the next head coach.

No Brad Stevens mention?

 

Holtmann has filled that void for now.

The Kentucky job requires a coach who is a good salesman, flamboyant and also knows the X’s and O’s of the game. Kind of a mixture of a Kirby vacuum cleaner door to door guy, Rodney Dangerfield, and John Wooden.

Scott Padgett has been a head coach for 4 years. Career record 57-75 (.432). This year (with a team he assembled entirely they are 10-21). Best finish in the Southern Conference 7th. I can see how you would like him to be Kentucky coach.

 

At least Allen Edwards has a winning record in his 2 years 42-26. Currently 19-11 and in 6th place in the Mountain West.

 

If you want to pick a coach out of the Southern Conference Steve Forbes would be the choice and if you want someone out of the Mountain West take Eric Musselman. To date Padgett and Edwards have done nothing.

 

If my choice it would be none of the above. None! I just think there will be no big names available that will take the job after Cal. Pearl is way too dirty IMO.

If my choice it would be none of the above. None! I just think there will be no big names available that will take the job after Cal. Pearl is way too dirty IMO.

 

Same stuff was said about Cal before he came here. He is basically Cal without as much success as Cal before he came here.

I think the Cats will make one final run at Billy Donovan. I have a feeling his time in OKC is winding down and he might be available right when Cal decides to leave.

Same stuff was said about Cal before he came here. He is basically Cal without as much success as Cal before he came here.

 

But that's the thing. I did not think Cal was dirty when he came to UK. So to me and many others they are not the same.

Probably going to get Holtmann over anyone. Going to be tough for OSU to hold on to him.

Same stuff was said about Cal before he came here. He is basically Cal without as much success as Cal before he came here.

 

Except Cal was never directly named in anything at UMass or Memphis. He also never had a show cause penalty placed on him. Pearl had both happen to him. So no, they are not the same.

What about Frank Martin? I have always liked that guy...I am not sure he can recruit elite players because of his persona, but his kids play!

What about Frank Martin? I have always liked that guy...I am not sure he can recruit elite players because of his persona, but his kids play!

 

I like him quite a bit as a coach. He doesn't strike me as the charismatic PR guy that UK fans will want after Calipari.

I like Tony Bennett of Virginia.

 

He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class.

 

I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution.

 

 

Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky?

 

Until he makes the tournament....Then he falls flat on his face every. single. year.

 

I guess it is a matter of taste.

 

I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

 

Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

 

He has coached at Washington State and Virginia. These are not basketball juggernauts.

 

Making 3 NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteens and winning over 70% of his games at these schools is not "falling flat on his face".

 

First 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed. Yeah that wouldn't go over well here at UK.

I like Tony Bennett of Virginia.

 

He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class.

 

I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution.

 

 

Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky?

 

Until he makes the tournament....Then he falls flat on his face every. single. year.

 

I guess it is a matter of taste.

 

I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

 

Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

 

First 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed. Yeah that wouldn't go over well here at UK.

 

With that said Bennett just won me over a little bit with how he handled his interview outside his lockerroom. Definitely a class act.

First 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed. Yeah that wouldn't go over well here at UK.

 

Yea, you are right....he is a terrible coach. SMH

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.