March 1, 20188 yr 100%. Cal is for sure here another 2 years. OKC is not going to be set up to win a championship in that time unless something unforeseen happens. Very good chance the only guy left there is Russ. I'll go ahead and call my shot now. Billy Donavan will be the next UK Men's basketball coach. I don't think they even call anyone else unless they think it would be cute to send a feeler out to Brad Stevens. Agreed! I truly think he was about to come here before after Tubby left. But it was to hard for him to pull the trigger to leave Florida which be basically built. To come to Florida rival at the time in UK. Especially since he was winning titles anyways at Florida. Now it's set up for him to truly come here if it opens up.
March 1, 20188 yr Stevens makes $3.5m per year while Cal makes $8m? Might not be to far fetched. Stevens money will go up soon. Plus he has gone through the rebuild of the Celtics and in position to have a possible great championship run here in the next couple years. So I don't see that.
March 1, 20188 yr You would be 6 years after his hire when they’re under investigation. Be a fun first 5 years though! They said that about our current coach too...
March 1, 20188 yr What about Scott Padgett (sp) or Allen Edwards? Just a thought. Where is Padgett? Edwards still at Wyoming?
March 1, 20188 yr I like Tony Bennett of Virginia. He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class. I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution. Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky?
March 1, 20188 yr I like Tony Bennett of Virginia. He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class. I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution. Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky? Until he makes the tournament....Then he falls flat on his face every. single. year.
March 1, 20188 yr I like Tony Bennett of Virginia. He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class. I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution. Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky? Except an X and O coach isn't able to recruit the caliber of players at Kentucky & Duke because they don't want to play "pure basketball". Which basically means they don't want to play an old and outdated version of basketball.
March 1, 20188 yr What about Scott Padgett (sp) or Allen Edwards? Just a thought. No and No. The bar for being the UK head coach is higher than simply being a head coach and a former cat.
March 1, 20188 yr Scott Drew Bryce Drew - especially if the level of his current recruiting class becomes a trend. Chris Holtman He hasn't done enough yet, but Chris Beard might be a name to watch.
March 1, 20188 yr I like Tony Bennett of Virginia. He is a great basketball coach. He is a very well grounded individual. He has class. I know some people would complain about the style of play, particularly the pace of play, but his teams play pure basketball and (for me) it is enjoyable to watch. Unbelievable execution. Could you imagine a great X and O coach like Tony Bennett coaching the caliber players Coach Cal has had here at Kentucky? Tony Bennett is also coaching experienced teams, who he has for years. If he coached the guys Cal has had. I would venture to say he would have a hard time getting the young talented players to buy in. Even Coach K has shown to struggle with that and getting young guys to play like they want. It's more than just X and Os when getting talented guys to buy into defense, the team, etc. Which is something Cal is great at. No idea of Bennett could get that eventual same buy in with one and done type guys.
March 1, 20188 yr There is lots of great names on this list. However as Cal says about UK not being for everyone. It's the same for coaches. Especially coaches who follow a successful coach at UK. It's more than just being a coach. Being a coach at UK is bigger, and not only have to be a good coach, recruiter, but also not afraid to be seen everywhere. So many coaches on that list, imo are unknown imo on how they could handle a place like UK. So imo there should be only two guys they go all out for. That's Brad Stevens and Donovan. Which Donovan would probably be the only realistic option out of them two.
March 1, 20188 yr No and No. The bar for being the UK head coach is higher than simply being a head coach and a former cat. I'd take either one than a Bruce Pearl. No thanks.
March 1, 20188 yr I'd like Bruce Pearl. He's won over 72% of his games as a coach. He also has the personality to deal with BBN.
March 1, 20188 yr Not sure how many times we've had this thread, but I'll play. Eric Musselman Not a lot of people will know that name but he is a great coach.
March 1, 20188 yr Rupp Hall Sutton Pitino Smith Gillispie Calipari The pattern seems to indicate that it'll be someone solid but under-appreciated in the grand scheme, followed by a drunk. I always tell the Cal hater the Great-Good-Drunk rule. Tough replacing "the guy."
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.