Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Next Kentucky Coach After Cal?

Featured Replies

I'd take either one than a Bruce Pearl. No thanks.

 

Scott Padgett has been a head coach for 4 years. Career record 57-75 (.432). This year (with a team he assembled entirely they are 10-21). Best finish in the Southern Conference 7th. I can see how you would like him to be Kentucky coach.

 

At least Allen Edwards has a winning record in his 2 years 42-26. Currently 19-11 and in 6th place in the Mountain West.

 

If you want to pick a coach out of the Southern Conference Steve Forbes would be the choice and if you want someone out of the Mountain West take Eric Musselman. To date Padgett and Edwards have done nothing.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top two preferences would be either Brad Stevens or Jay Wright but it’s probably next to impossible to pull them away from their current situations. After them, Billy Donovan is the ideal choice IMO for many reasons. After that there are plenty of other good options but nothing truly stands out who I would think would be a no brainer. To echo what others have said, it will be difficult to follow Cal but if one could I think the 3 I mentioned could do it. However, only one of those options is truly realistic.

My top two preferences would be either Brad Stevens or Jay Wright but it’s probably next to impossible to pull them away from their current situations. After them, Billy Donovan is the ideal choice IMO for many reasons. After that there are plenty of other good options but nothing truly stands out who I would think would be a no brainer. To echo what others have said, it will be difficult to follow Cal but if one could I think the 3 I mentioned could do it. However, only one of those options is truly realistic.

I don’t think Jay Wright is immovable from Nova, but I also don’t think he’s a good fit for UK.

Chris Mack

 

I’d actually like him as well however I don’t think things would be a smooth transition if he was hired after Cal. If we can’t get the previous three I mentioned he would be by #1 target.

Chris Mack

He isn’t leaving UofL for UK...

He isn’t leaving UofL for UK...

 

I dont think he goes to UofL.

Except an X and O coach isn't able to recruit the caliber of players at Kentucky & Duke because they don't want to play "pure basketball". Which basically means they don't want to play an old and outdated version of basketball.

 

I guess it is a matter of taste.

 

I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

 

Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

Until he makes the tournament....Then he falls flat on his face every. single. year.

 

He has coached at Washington State and Virginia. These are not basketball juggernauts.

 

Making 3 NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteens and winning over 70% of his games at these schools is not "falling flat on his face".

I dont think he goes to UofL.
I think it’s a very strong possibility.
I guess it is a matter of taste.

 

I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

 

Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

 

He has coached at Washington State and Virginia. These are not basketball juggernauts.

 

Making 3 NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteens and winning over 70% of his games at these schools is not "falling flat on his face".

 

Bennett falls right in line with the great, good, drunk pattern of coaches at uk. It takes a special kind of personality to do well here and be liked. Shoot most people even like Cal and still go crazy. When Tubby was here even in his good seasons people complained about how boring his system is. Bennett also imo wouldn't recruit at the level many people would want. Especially after the players Cal has got.

 

He wouldn't do bad, but imo would be a lot like the Tubby years who I liked. Good but never really great and never really making UK that top place to be.

I guess it is a matter of taste.

 

I do not consider Virginia's style "old and outdated". Passing, spacing, execution, and defense you consider "old and outdated"?

 

Do you think Cal plays up and down, run and gun, pressing basketball? If you do, you are wrong. Cal loves to call half court patterns and plays.

 

You sort of implied in your initial post that Calipari wasn't an X & O guy, but now you're back tracking and saying he loves to play half court patterns and plays. So which is it?

 

And I definitely agree with you. Calipari has a lot of different motion offenses that he puts in play which gives the players options. He doesn't seem to have as many just set plays. I prefer Cal's style of basketball, which is what most of the successful programs are using in 2018. I don't consider Tony Bennet's very successful because he hasn't accomplished anything.

You sort of implied in your initial post that Calipari wasn't an X & O guy, but now you're back tracking and saying he loves to play half court patterns and plays. So which is it?

 

And I definitely agree with you. Calipari has a lot of different motion offenses that he puts in play which gives the players options. He doesn't seem to have as many just set plays. I prefer Cal's style of basketball, which is what most of the successful programs are using in 2018. I don't consider Tony Bennet's very successful because he hasn't accomplished anything.

 

Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

 

Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.

Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

 

Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.

 

Let's put it another way. He hasn't accomplished anything that would remotely satisfy Kentucky basketball fans. Coaches are judged on Final Fours at Kentucky. Bennett hasn't shown anything close to the capability of getting to that stage as of yet.

Just where in my post did I imply Coach Cal wasn't an X & O guy? Your reading comprehension is suspect.

 

Tony Bennett hasn't accomplished anything? Come on...the guy has the number 1 team in the country. You might not like him or his style, but at least be fair in evaluating his accomplishments.

 

Making Sweet 16s might be worth something to most programs but when it comes to what is expected Kentucky, he hasn't accomplished anything.

 

They only talk about regular season accomplishments when you have nothing better on your resume.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.