Technical vs. Warning

Who is this guy and where did he come from?

Use to be the Girls Fast Pitch head coach for years until this year he took the Head Boy's basketball gig. Someone said he has been an assistant to the Boys team for a few years. Never had any Issues with him when we played him in Softball. Always gracious in Defeat and in Victory! Maybe a little over the top at times but most of the time it's for the better of his team. Don't know Roddy personally but he sure gives it his all......

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I certainly see your point. As both a coach and a baseball umpire, I can see both sides. But I actually think the Japanese have it right on this point - coaches don't confront officials. They show restraint, respect for authority, and responsibility - all the things you want your players to learn.

CM

Unfortunately, as a society, we are heading away from personal responsibility for anything....and projected blame for everything.

I can’t believe some of the stuff that gets posted. Roddy is a competitor, plain and simple. He does argue calls, but some of these posts question who he is. LOTS of coaches, including all of the ones we put on pedestals, argue calls. These are totally inaccurate posts about him. Those who have posted on here I will bet have never met him or spoken with him at length. Roddy is a good man, he loves coaching and he is great to the kids. Ask the Softball players he coached over the years at Dixie. Ask all of us in the coaching association what we think and we’ll all tell you he is a great man who cares about his program and players. We liked coaching against him, because he cared about his program but he also showed great respect and admiration to his opponents. Not a big fan of slamming a good person, good coach!

I have known Roddy for a few years now as an high school umpire and now softball coach. I can tell you, I looked forward to doing Dixie games as an ump, did Roddy question calls, absolutely, name me one coach who has not, the players and umpires respected him, Roddy has waited years for his chance as a head coach, let's give him his chance and not be so quick to judge. We all have to look in a mirror at times.

I will say this once and then exit this thread. I have not known this coach to be anything but a good coach with high expectations for his players and an unmatched passion for whatever he was coaching. Anyone who implies otherwise In an attempt to impune someone's character does so in poor taste. I'm out..

Back to the topic at hand , the NFHS is trying to cut down on Ts and ejections. Someone earlier nailed it when they talked about it now being officially marked in the book and letting everyone in the stands know about it. It's "official" and the NFHS hopes that cuts down on technicals. With that , I have seen very few official warnings this year.

I wasn’t at the game (or games) that have been discussed in this thread but as someone who knows Roddy, I find this thread to be laughable. You find me a coach that cares more about his players and program than Roddy does and I’ll be shocked. As others have said, every coach in every sport will question calls and they each have their own way of doing it. You can question anyone’s method of coaching if you want but to call into question someone’s character when they are a dedicated coach that would go to the ends of the world for their players is absurd. Roddy is that dedicated coach.