What's more important at Highlands: Culture Change or Wins and Losses?

theguru

In another thread @NamecipS stated the following about the Highlands Football Program:

"I can't really speak for Sweep or JOAt or any of the other old schoolers chiming in here, but my interpretation is they're more concerned with how the culture has changed than they are with the wins/losses."

Then, @Jack of all Trades quoted the above post and said:

"That is correct"

@Sweeperboy , is this your thinking too?

And really Highlands Peeps, Highlands is more concerned about culture change than wins/losses?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They say they’re more concerned with culture change because if you change that the wins and losses should take care of themselves. Is it 100% full proof? Hell no. But it’s a smart ideology.

Edited by Collar7
Spelling

Somehow I knew this would end up a topic.

NO ONE, Dale, Bob Beatty, Chuck Smith or any other great coach you want to mention was going to win a title at Highlands the last two years.

Some things that I see that changed after Dale left are lack of self sacrifice and discipline by some players and the team didn’t appear to be as prepared and focused as they used to be.

Somehow I knew this would end up a topic.

NO ONE, Dale, Bob Beatty, Chuck Smith or any other great coach you want to mention was going to win a title at Highlands the last two years.

Some things that I see that changed after Dale left are lack of self sacrifice and discipline by some players and the team didn’t appear to be as prepared and focused as they used to be.

If the kids now don’t care like the kids before them then I think it makes a difference in the things you saw that had changed.

To me the culture change would make a difference because the two are wound together. The Highlands culture was (and I hope is) do what it takes to win.

That means lifting and running your brains out all off season. It means coaches watching film until 2am. It means developing a game plan to use the guys you have in the right spots and knowing what they can and can't do. Its accountability and trusting the guy next to. It means flipping the script each year if you have to adjust to what you have.

Dale used to say, "Practice doesn't make perfect.... Perfect practice makes perfect." I loved that quote, I think of it all the time. He also used the word finish a LOT. Finish the block, finish the tackle, finish the set, finish the sprint.

The Highlands culture is like oxygen to fire, there is no way it would make things worse... So in my opinion, as a 90s Highlands guy, the question originally posted doesn't make sense. The culture is winning, from when the alarm goes off in the morning.

Also I believe that BW has gotten a lot of heat over this. He is probably the best guy that's not Dale that knows how to do this. I think this year he cultures it up.

Believe me, it’s not about the work ethic. Any MWF from 3:30-5:30 from now until June, you can see 60 plus kids and 8-10 coaches in that field house working awfully hard. I was blown away by how dedicated those kids are. It is not a matter of working hard.

Ok, I knew it would get mixed up.

My comment was strictly looking at the last two years. They weren’t going to win many more games than they did. What bothers people and again I’m speculating, but the team and more importantly the coaching staff got away from some of the things that made Highlands football great. Most people will look at that think being great means wins and that’s just not the case.

But what do I know. As I’ve been reminded several times in the last hour or so, I didn’t play football in high school.

Believe me, it’s not about the work ethic. Any MWF from 3:30-5:30 from now until June, you can see 60 plus kids and 8-10 coaches in that field house working awfully hard. I was blown away by how dedicated those kids are. It is not a matter of working hard.

I think this year is the bounce back year!

This past season was really strange with the number of key injuries that the Birds had. And still, their record was literally 3 plays away from this team being 9-3 going into regional finals with Cov. Cath. If they did nothing else but recover an onside kick vs. Simon Kenton and South Oldham, they win those two games. If they get one more first down vs. Lex. Cath, they run out the clock and win that game. That’s how small the the difference was in winning 3 more games. Cov Cath would’ve been a big challenge because they were crazy good this year. So my point is, this past year’s team should’ve been 9-3, working on a game plan for Cov. Cath week 13.

Siple

Ok, I knew it would get mixed up.

My comment was strictly looking at the last two years. They weren’t going to win many more games than they did. What bothers people and again I’m speculating, but the team and more importantly the coaching staff got away from some of the things that made Highlands football great. Most people will look at that think being great means wins and that’s just not the case.

But what do I know. As I’ve been reminded several times in the last hour or so, I didn’t play football in high school.

:lol2: :lol2:

Ahhhh, the old “you didn’t play so your opinion doesn’t count” comments. I love those. :lol2: :lol2: