Everything posted by goford
-
Scott High's Nelson Perrin Commits to Dayton
Congratulations to an unbelievable kid and great athlete. So happy for a great kid from a great family. Pops and younger brother have game too. Dayton is getting a good one. Siple
-
"Where There is Smoke, There is Fire"
UCRN... I did indeed have a good friend who was a red haired, 6’1 180 lb. free safety on the Bluebirds 1975 State Championship. He may, or may not, have let me use his ID to get in those places. Great times were had by all.
-
"Where There is Smoke, There is Fire"
Colonel-fan...I even spent some time at Burgandy’s when it was called the Lighthouse. Had a few Tom Collins there back in the day.
-
"Where There is Smoke, There is Fire"
UCRN....the red hair gets my blood pressure up and my temper flaring, but I have never been the toughest guy in the room. Especially at Dixie Chili at 2:00AM after a night at Burgandy’s In Clifton.
-
"Where There is Smoke, There is Fire"
Above average? Lol. C’mon sweep.
-
"Where There is Smoke, There is Fire"
I would love to hear your opinion on the theory, “Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fire”, when it comes to what is written on social media, message boards, blogs, etc. The reason I bring up this point: As a long time high school football coach, I’ve experienced “the good, the bad, and the ugly” when it comes to social media. It sure is nice when you receive praise on a blog, or a message board for a job well done. We all want to be affirmed and love the attention when we are appreciated. That’s just human nature. However, if you are coach who has been praised on social media, it is safe to say that you are also a coach who has been criticized and chastised for a bad loss on a Friday night. I have learned to handle the public criticism. My skin has definitely thickened over the years. Whether I agree or disagree, I can accept the constructive criticism and the opinions. It’s humbling and often hard to read sometimes, but I believe that part of it comes with the job. Where I have had a really hard time, is when people post something that is blatantly, not true. Maybe its rumor, maybe it’s just fabricated, or maybe the person just wants to make a personal attack. For example, this past week, someone posted that he/she was surprised that I was still coaching high school football because I’ve been fired by so many schools. So, against my better judgement, I responded, professionally I think, that this statement was just not true. I also asked the person to justify what they posted regarding specifics of what schools had, supposedly, fired me. His response was that he/she really didn’t know for sure, but “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” So, my question to all of you is, If you read something in social media, do you consider it to be true? Or is it just reading for entertainment value? Or do you read it and believe there is probably some degree of truth to it, because of the theory, “where there’s smoke there’s fire?” Let me give you another example.....While I was a Head Football Coach in Cincinnati, It was written on a message board that I was fired from my teaching/coaching job because I was leaving school during the day to go gambling at Belterra Casino. What? I guess I’m just not sure where the line is anymore. How that story got started is really kind of funny. Since we had such great players and coaches, I was invited to speak at a Nike Clinic at Belterra Casino. Therefore, I was, indeed, at Belterra on a Friday to be a clinic speaker. So, from that, someone wrote that I was “let go” because I had a gambling problem and was leaving my job during the school day to go to the Casino. Did that rumor have an impact on my reputation and keep me from being hired for other teaching/coaching jobs? I don’t know. Probably. In education, your reputation means everything. So, is it really okay to repeat something, or write something that you’re not 100% sure is true? Do you all believe that people posting on message boards or blogs have a responsibility to be honest and report accurate information? Where do personal ethics and honesty fit in when it comes to social media? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Kevin Siple
-
A Highlands thread NOT about the coaches
Huddy is good at whatever he does. Would be a waste to have him block, because he is really good with the ball in his hands. Really Good. Siple
-
Open Job: Grant County
King, I didn't make the schedule. When I was there, we were in the District and played Cov. Cath, Highlands, and Dixie. Siple
-
What's more important at Highlands: Culture Change or Wins and Losses?
So for the sake of this thread, what in your opinion is the problem at Highlands? My opinion is two fold. 1. they definitely don't have those Division I, difference makers that clearly are the best players on the field each game. Think about it, just at the QB position, they have had a run of special athletes. (Hodge,Towels, Houliston, McCoy, Guidugli, etc.)They have had players that go to Notre Dame, Kentucky, Cincinnati, BYU, Central Michigan, Illinois, etc. That's unbelievable to have that many of those kind of players. Good players can really cover up a lot of mistakes. And, they have a ton of players who have gone to places like Georgetown, Wittenberg, Dayton, etc. This past year, the only senior being recruited is Michael Dunn. Don't get me wrong, they still have great high school players. But, they are regular HS players that every HS has, but the HHS regular kids work so hard and eat right and instead of being a 5'10 160 pounds, they develop themselves into a 5'10 195 pound, lightning fast, football player who "drinks the kool aid" and becomes a great high school player. When you have all the normal, HS players who over achieve, and then throw in those special players that they have had in the past, you win 7 or 8 State Championships in a row. 2. My opinion is that they didn't have enough guys to play just one way. Its definitely ideal to two platoon, but sometimes you just don't have enough guys to do it. Especially, if you have a year that you have a great number of injuries. We had JV games this year that we didn't have enough lineman, so we had to put a running back in at guard just to have 5 lineman. That indicates to me that we didn't have enough kids to two platoon. Another JV game, both our sophomore running backs played so much on Friday night, we had to teach a defensive back the offensive plays 30 minutes before the game. That's not Highlands Football. We all know about opinions, but that's just my take. The good news is that kids are coming. I think the QB this year will be a Division I player. I believe Hudleston is a Div. I player. The young Hergott is really good. Just to name a few. Help is on the way.
-
What's more important at Highlands: Culture Change or Wins and Losses?
Great post Hawk. I agree that at 98% of the football programs in Ky, if 60 kids and 8 coaches showed up at weights, someone would have a heart attack from shock. HHS work ethic and culture is solid. Sweep.. I didn’t mean to imply that the coaches weren’t working hard, because I think they do work hard. Teaching in Ft. Thomas is serious business. These guys have an intense plan of attack teaching School all day. Then they start their second job. There really isn’t an off season. There is just a season when games are played and a another season of preparation and skill development. Between season weights, spring football, regular game season, and being a high level classroom teacher, saying they don’t work hard is not fair.
-
What's more important at Highlands: Culture Change or Wins and Losses?
This past season was really strange with the number of key injuries that the Birds had. And still, their record was literally 3 plays away from this team being 9-3 going into regional finals with Cov. Cath. If they did nothing else but recover an onside kick vs. Simon Kenton and South Oldham, they win those two games. If they get one more first down vs. Lex. Cath, they run out the clock and win that game. That’s how small the the difference was in winning 3 more games. Cov Cath would’ve been a big challenge because they were crazy good this year. So my point is, this past year’s team should’ve been 9-3, working on a game plan for Cov. Cath week 13. Siple
-
What's more important at Highlands: Culture Change or Wins and Losses?
Believe me, it’s not about the work ethic. Any MWF from 3:30-5:30 from now until June, you can see 60 plus kids and 8-10 coaches in that field house working awfully hard. I was blown away by how dedicated those kids are. It is not a matter of working hard.
-
Coaching Shake-up at Highlands
Colonelpops: “So just to be clear in case someone is looking to sue I do NOT know that Kevin Siple has been fired from ANY job. I do not work for any schools that he worked for so I am not 100% on anything regarding his employment.” You make the statement above, but yet you continue on to say that stories you’ve heard should cause an AD to be concerned. That really says more about your character than mine, if you would personally attack me publically about rumors and stories you’ve heard. That is just as damaging to me as it would be to you if you were....say a contractor, or owned your own construction company. Lets say, I publically reported that I heard while you were in a home doing remodeling work, you stole some expensive items from the homeowner you were working for. But, I would never do something like that for two reasons. 1. I don’t know if the stories are true, even if I believe the old adage, “where there’s smoke there’s fire”. 2. I would not want to hurt your reputation and affect your livelihood. It would be nice if you would consider the impact you could have on someone’s livelihood. Just saying. Siple
-
Coaching Shake-up at Highlands
Any time , which is not very often, I post something on BG, I sign my name and I’m honest about what I say. I’ve never been “let go” in my life. So Colonelpops, you’re mistaken, or dishonest.
-
Coaching Shake-up at Highlands
Tell me where Siple has ever been let go. Siple
-
Coaching Shake-up at Highlands
This is a great topic. There is a lot more to it than just choosing an asst. coach and putting him in a role. Head coaches have to look at each coach’s skill set and match it with what is best for the team he is paid to lead. Coaches are like players. We all, players and coaches, have certain roles that we WANT to fill. For example, a player who wants to play LB, might be more needed on his team at Off.Guard. It doesn’t mean he is a bad LB, it just means that the coach believes that the TEAM is better if he plays guard. Football is the ultimate team sport. 11 guys have to individually do their specific job on each play in order to have a successful play. It’s no different with coaches. If the the asst. coach WANTS to be the LBer coach, the HC might believe that the TEAM is better if that coach works with offensive lineman. It’s not about the player’s feelings, or the asst. coaches feelings. It’s about what the HC thinks is best for the team. That being said, and what I believe is the most important part of this is that it’s critical that the HC communicates with each player and coach very honestly and directly about what their role is. That’s Leadership 101. The great head coaches can talk to a player who rushed for 1000 yards the year before as a FB, and convince that player that the team needs him to move to offensive line to be successful. All players and coaches just want to be respected enough to be communicated with openly and honestly. The great leaders make everyone feel great about the role the team needs them to fill. I have no problem with BW thinking that it’s best for the team for a coach to be the JV offensive coordinator or it’s best that a coach be the cameraman. I just think the coach will give everything he has if he is communicated with directly and honestly. Putting all the pieces together and making those pieces all feel motivated to contribute in their assigned role is the trick to being a great leader. You have to make the best person/coach on the team feel needed, as well as the worst player/coach on the team. The Head Coaches that don’t communicate with players and coaches about their role will always have a hard time. Hypothetically, of course, if the Head coach thinks it’s best for the team for me to walk around and be positive and assist other coaches, I would do it to the best of my ability. I just need to be communicated with so I know specifically that what he needs me to do. The worst situation is for a player or coach to not know what their role is. Just my observations over the years. Siple
-
Should Highlands request to play up in 5A for the 2019-2022 Football Seasons?
-
Stephen Lickert is the new football coach at Newport Central Catholic
If you understand what drives coaches, you would know exactly why SL took the job. A lot people believe that their are only 4 NKY jobs that you can win a State Championship. Highlands, Cov. Cath. , Beechwood, and Newport Central Catholic.
-
NKY Coaches All-Star Teams Selected
If Michael Dunn, OL from Highlands is not a 1st Team selection, I have no respect for the format that this was put together. No disrespect to any of the kids that are being honored. But, I would argue that Dunn is a 1st Team All State selection. I 100% believe that if anyone who understands line play would watch Mike Dunn play, they would agree..You guys "missed it" on this one.
-
Is Highlands looking to hire an Offensive Coordinator?
BGpreppers, oK, here's the deal. I have no agenda. Brian was nice enough to allow me to be a part of the Program. I told him that I will help wherever HE thinks will help the kids the most. So I get to work with QBs and RBs. Same with softball and Rob. That school gave me far more than I could ever give back. Coaches and teachers at HHS gave me the skills, and the confidence to be a good husband, father, and teacher/coach. I have no idea where I would be if those amazing people would not have been so selfless and present in my life. I owe that school everything. I can't donate a bunch of money, but I can give them my time. So that's really all the thinking here. Happy New Year. BTW thank you for all the kind words on your posts. Siple
-
Highlands, Dixie and CovCath
Coach Dalzell is a great guy and a quality football coach. He is doing what he believes is best for his kids and Program. I don't know what the right answer is on this issue. I chose to stay in the district while I was the coach there for one main reason. I didn't want to stand in front of those kids and say that since we didn't like the district we were put in, we were going to "take our ball and go home." But, maybe that decision hurt the Program. To be real honest, I don't think this decision will hurt, or help the Program anyway. The challenge for any of the sports programs at Grant is not with players, coaches, parents, or community. The biggest challenge is that athletics are just not a priority for the GC School leadership. Schools generally pick and choose where they want "hang their hat". Grant has a great Marching Band and an amazing ROTC Program. And they have also built a state of the art vocational school. I'm not saying that's wrong. They have every right to support whatever programs they want to support. They are the leaders of that district. As far as the athletic department, the kids are at such a disadvantage before they even start. For a 5A school to have a part time athletic director should tell you all you need to know. The AD is great, but I just think it should be a full time position. The athletic facilities haven't been touched for 15 years. Baseball and softball fields don't have lights. The soccer stadium is the middle school fb field. And the soccer practice field is really a half of a field. Tennis has to play on 2 courts at the park. Assistant Coaching pay is one third to one half of what coaches make in Kenton, Campbell and Boone County. Coaches have to raise every bit of the money for their budget. Coaches have to line their fields to play or practice on. The community is unbelievably supportive. Businesses just keep giving and giving so the kids can play their sport. The kids and parents are "all in". The unfortunate part is that the school system isn't doing their part. The kids are at such a disadvantage before the first game is ever played. Until the school board decides they want to have a real athletic program, Nothing else really matters. And again, I'm not trying to be negative. It's the school's right to emphasize what they want to emphasize. I loved my 4 years there. I had a great experience. We had great kids and families that gave everything they had. The kids played their tails off and absolutely never quit. Just my opinion. Not that anyone asked. Go Braves Siple
-
Open letter to high school athletes
TTT
-
Open letter to high school athletes
Dear Student/Athlete: I am writing to you today to ask for your help with this very important topic. As a long time teacher and coach, I am saddened by the great number of kids in your school who are being mistreated and ignored. There are kids all around you every day in your school who are struggling to find their place in the world. They are being made fun of, laughed at, picked on, disrespected, and completely ignored. Most days, a smile and a hello from their bus driver is the only attention they get. These kids are eating lunch by themselves and they don't hear one positive comment all day long. Why am I telling you this? YOU have the ability to change someone's life. I'm asking you, challenging you, to "change the climate" in your school for all students. As an athlete, whether you deserve it or not, you are looked up to by other students. You have the ability to change another student's life by just simply showing a little kindness to those classmates who are struggling. By just smiling and saying hello, you will change someone's day. YOU have that power. You also have the power to be mean and hateful and destroy someone's self image. It is your choice how you use that power. Most kids in schools are what I call "takers". They think everything is for them and about them. Then there are the minority of students who are "givers". They think of others more than themselves. They "include" all kids, rather than "exclude" certain groups of kids who they consider different from them. They are positive leaders in their school and they make it a point to impact other kids in a positive way. I'm asking you to use your power as a "giver". I challenge you find the students in your school who are being ignored and say hello. Sit with them at lunch. Ask them if they had a good weekend. You will be amazed how much you have in common. Please, share my passion and change someone's life in your school. You were given a gift to be an athlete with confidence and self esteem. Use that gift to change the culture in your school to one of empathy and kindness. YOU have that power. Thank you for reading this.
-
Kevin Siple is out at Grant County - (Title Updated - It is Official)
Of course I knew I had to get a 2nd Masters Degree. It's not Grant's or State of Ky's fault I chose not to go back to school. I have a Bach Degree from Georgetown and a Masters from Xavier. I've been teaching and coaching for 31 years, I'm 55 years old so I decided not to get another Degree. We have great kids and great parent support so the Program will be just fine.
-
New Newport Head Football Coach
Tim is a very good football coach. He has a lot of great experience and is a proven guy. This is a great hire for Newport. As HC at Indian Hill, we had some great battles with Coach Viox when he was at Madeira. Tim is an easy guy to get a long with. He has great perspective and the players will love him. Good Luck Wildcats and Coach Viox.