Todd Haley Will Not Return to the Steelers

I think Haley is more gone not for his body of work but that he and Ben didn't get along. I think the DC, defensive backs Coach or LBs Coach should have been more in line to get the axe over the OC

So give up a really good OC for a QB who has contemplated retirement at the end of each of the past 2 seasons. Makes sense.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number two is the key question. if you are going to fire Tomlin you better have somebody lined up that you are confident is better than him.

This is everything, IMO.

Don't suggest he should be fired without a credible replacement.

1. He should be successful. They have the best RB in the league. They have the best WR in the league, they have a sure fire HOF QB, and have very little to show for it, especially lately.

2. First name to pop into my head is Tom Coughlin.

Look, Tomlin isn't a bad coach. He's not anything special either. He's long been known to make questionable decisions in game. He's been there 11 years. He's still getting a pass from Steelers fans for the SB win almost 10 years ago. It's just time to move on. His "us against them, tough guy" mantra just isn't cutting it anymore. His obsession with the Patriots in recent years has distracted the team as well IMO.

What does Tom Coughlin give you that Tomlin doesn't? Sell me on that.

"It's just time to move on" is about as terrible of a reason as you could put together. :lol2:

So that's the only measuring stick? :lol2: :lol2:

What are we doing with the other 30 HC's in the league?

Only measuring stick? Hardly. You asked what he could do that Tomlin couldn't. I gave you the first thing that popped in my head.

There's quite a few other guys I think would be better HCs than Tomlin. Most don't have HC experience though, so I figured you wouldn't be interested in hearing any of them.

So give up a really good OC for a QB who has contemplated retirement at the end of each of the past 2 seasons. Makes sense.

Is he a really good OC or is that offense just loaded? I mean if you look at the rankings that were posted, his/their success seems to have come with the Bell and Brown getting a couple of years under their belt. Now you could say it is Haley's offense that allows them to flourish so...

Who gets credit and who gets blame has always amused me. There are very few if any coaches who had success with bad teams however there have been bad coaches have success with good teams. By good I mean talented. Over course you could be Mike McCarthy and waste the career of one of the best QB's ever.

Only measuring stick? Hardly. You asked what he could do that Tomlin couldn't. I gave you the first thing that popped in my head.

There's quite a few other guys I think would be better HCs than Tomlin. Most don't have HC experience though, so I figured you wouldn't be interested in hearing any of them.

You're right, I'm not particularly. But, I'll humor you and check out your suggestions. Can you tell me how each would be a better HC than Tomlin when you post them?

How long does Cal get to survive?

It's funny you and UKMF are making the same arguments against Tomlin that I did against Cal... Interesting.

I don’t have a problem with what you said about Cal. Cal is also infinitely more valuable to UK than Tomlin is to Pittsburgh.

Is he a really good OC or is that offense just loaded? I mean if you look at the rankings that were posted, his/their success seems to have come with the Bell and Brown getting a couple of years under their belt. Now you could say it is Haley's offense that allows them to flourish so...

Who gets credit and who gets blame has always amused me. There are very few if any coaches who had success with bad teams however there have been bad coaches have success with good teams. By good I mean talented. Over course you could be Mike McCarthy and waste the career of one of the best QB's ever.

That’s the question. But to me it’s silly to point the blame at someone who was successful at his job when the reason the Steelers can’t capitalize on their offensive talent is because the defense is garbage.

You're right, I'm not particularly. But, I'll humor you and check out your suggestions. Can you tell me how each would be a better HC than Tomlin when you post them?

How do you know Tomlin is a great coach? He won a championship with a team built by Cowher and has never been able to get past the Pats unless someone else does it for them. With the talent on that team it seems silly. What percentage of the Steelers losses in the playoffs since Tomlin has been there have been because they were out coached? They were definitely out coached last week.

I'll give you a couple quick ones that I know the most about, that I think would have as much, if not more success than Tomlin has over the past 9 years....

Josh McDaniels - offensive minded, has worked with and succeeded with high-octane offenses. Willing to give his QB free reign in the huddle, something Tomlin doesn't do.

Matt Patricia - Probably one of the smartest handful of dudes in the NFL. Always has his guys in the right positions. Has proven capable of adjusting and overcoming injuries to key defensive players, something Tomlin hasn't been able to do, at least not recently.

Mike Vrabel - No nonsense guy. Would hold his players accountable both on and off the field. Would never allow the distractions that Tomlin seems to help create that have negatively impacted the Steelers in recent years.

That’s the question. But to me it’s silly to point the blame at someone who was successful at his job when the reason the Steelers can’t capitalize on their offensive talent is because the defense is garbage.

I don't disagree there. But, the fact that Ben and he can't get along adds another twist to it. If the coach can't play nice with the #1 star on the team the coach will lose 100% of the time.