Sports fan or fan of a team?

newarkcatholicfan

Depends on the sport.

I'll watch pretty much any college basketball game.

MLB, NFL I'll watch my team and then I'll catch glimpses of others.

College Football I probably haven't watched a full game in 5 years. Just doesn't keep my interest.

NBA, when it's on, I'll try to catch it, but don't really have a team to follow.

MLB More a Reds fan than MLB but I watch 90% of the playoffs.

NFL I'll watch anyone, just hate regional games I get.

College Football, I'll watch anything on TV...from crappies bowl to Div III playoffs, I love it.

College Basketball, I watch UK and other top teams along with tourney but I rarely can watch some random fame in January or February.

NBA, not a fan of a team really but will watch intriguing matchups and playoffs.

MLB -- only the Reds games.

NFL -- only Bengals games.

College Basketball -- every Xavier game, and the biggest game in the country every other night.

College Football -- every Nebraska game, and the biggest games around the country.

NBA -- I watch "big" games when I'm around, never schedule my life around it though.

Golf -- my 2nd favorite sport to watch, behind College Basketball.

MLB - Orioles fan; watch the occasional game if nothing else is on, watch most of the playoffs.

NFL - No team, I watch 'em all. My favorite sport on TV.

NHL - Nope. Great game in person, though.

NBA - No team, often catch a late-night game, watch much of the playoffs.

College basketball - Watch a game or two each week; watch more NBA.

College football - Watch whenever it's on but no strong allegiance to any team. Love the game.

Other sports - watch the Golf Channel all the time. Watch an occasional EPL soccer game. Love all the Olympics stuff; I'd watch tiddlywinks if it was an Olympic sport.

My overall takeaway is this. As I have advanced in years and joined the geriatric set, I have almost completely gotten away from "my teams" and moved to "sports fan".

I like the thread idea.

College basketball and football — all Louisville and Dayton games; will also watch a ton of both from all sorts of conferences

NFL — really only watch the Vikings

MLB — some Twins games and a few Reds games here and there. Will follow as much of the playoffs as I can.

NBA and NHL — will watch a game here and there but don’t have a team and don’t really get into it until the playoffs

Pro Soccer — every single Louisville City game, boatload of USL games, Premier League and Bundesliga every weekend, occasional Mexican league game; don’t really follow MLS or Champions League

Tennis and Golf — watch the Majors/Slams

My overall takeaway is this. As I have advanced in years and joined the geriatric set, I have almost completely gotten away from "my teams" and moved to "sports fan".

While not as "advanced in years", I'm finding as I get older that I'm 100% the opposite. I'm less of a Sports' fan and more just watching teams I follow and that is all. Interesting.

Maybe when I'm empty nesting in 10 years it'll reverse, but for now, with all of the running around I do for my kids, plus work and Board work, if it isn't "my team", it isn't a priority at any level.

While not as "advanced in years", I'm finding as I get older that I'm 100% the opposite. I'm less of a Sports' fan and more just watching teams I follow and that is all. Interesting.

Maybe when I'm empty nesting in 10 years it'll reverse, but for now, with all of the running around I do for my kids, plus work and Board work, if it isn't "my team", it isn't a priority at any level.

I don’t have any kids at this point, but it’s starting to become a function of time. Between work, organizations I do work for, and spending time with my lady friend, sometimes Louisville and Dayton games are the only basketball games I can set aside time to watch in a week, for example.

Can imagine that starting a family really puts a squeeze on the casual sports watching.

This was a great thread until @Getslow had to mention soccer. No wonder Randy hates you so much. LOL

Used to be a sports junkie and watch anything. Not so much any more.

Favorite NCAA hoops team is the CBU Bucs. Just moved to 6th/8th in the National rankings in D2. #34 for them is a real stud.

After them, I’m a UK fan. But do love the NCAA tourney. Greatest event in sports.

Pro sports, its the hometown teams. Red, Bengals.

NBA, can’t track who plays for who anymore. I’ll go for free tix, but would not pay to attend.

Golf, NASCAR, WWE find all of that hard to watch.

Olympics are OK to watch, as long as it is not a judged sport and has a real outcome.

Let’s not forget HS sports. Purest of all games. I take in many hoops games and try to catch another random sport at least once a year. Always root for kids I know, no matter what team they play for.

Golf - Watch every major and the older I get I find myself enjoying watching golf more and more and it is quickly becoming my favorite.

NBA- Watch the championship series.

College Basketball - every UK game and then all march madness it doesn't matter who is playing.

NFL - All games all day (due to my obsession with Fantasy football) if I am able to keep myself from going stir crazy sitting on the couch for that long.

College Football - UK games and then whatever the premier games may be if I am not doing anything else.

MLB - hardly watch any and if I do it is only the reds. I loved playing baseball but watching it played is very close to watching paint dry. Plus it is during the summer and I like being outside as much as I can.

NFL - Mainly redzone, but I will generally get into the marquee national games of the week and watch more. If the Eagles are playing I watch them more closely, but do not live or die with it.

NBA - Timberwolves. I consume as much as I can. They are so frustrating at times, but I have a blast watching. I find myself watching more national games as well, especially in the fourth quarter of games. Having seen some games in person of late has made me appreciate how skilled these athletes are.

NCCAM - Outside of UK, not much. I find college basketball nearly unwatchable because the product is so weak. Will tune in around tournament time with more regularity.

College Football: NDSU football and major games.