The Antichrist --- What? When? Where?

This thread is to discuss and answer questions about the so-called "antichrist." What is the antichrist? Is he/she alive today? What's his/her purpose? When and where do you think the antichrist will reveal himself? Do you believe in an antichrist? Are there more than one antichrists who will appear or just one great antichrist?

Obviously, those of us who are not necessarily sold on a Christ probably are reluctant to buy in to the antichrist. I believe there is a Universal Good. I think its possible to tap in to that Source Energy many call God. God is the essence of All That Is Good. There is Good and Absence of Good. I'm not sure there is a need for an antichrist, or an anti-good . John seemed convinced of the antichrist, as he was the only Biblical writer to use the term "antichrist."

Has the antichrist made his way onto the world stage? In America? Elsewhere? Help me people.

@Science Friction ... Just wanted to duck in here to say that I'm very intrigued by your more recent passionate quest for knowledge and understanding. Just like always I have no solid answers to offer, but still I'm very interested in pondering these such topics, as well as hearing everyone else's input on them too.

Since October 30th you've begun 14 threads within the Religion, Ethics, and Philosophy forum (but who's counting, right? :lol2:), and I can't but help to wonder what has sparked you. Could it possibly have been the eclipse? Somehow you've been touched, and I have to say that it looks good on you.

Your story intrigues me with you being raised in a highly religious environment, then you having the nerve, depth, and inquisitive analytical mind to think outside of that perimeter more so than I imagine many around you have, or are comfortable with.

I'm happy for you that you have BGP as a means to express and explore, for I'll guess that these are just not topics that you can stir up with the random citizen standing in line at your local Walmart. Hey man, same here for me. You're not just a rebel without a cause as there's no doubt that your desire to know is intense, real, and sincere.

Still It's quite apparent that you're a good peaceful "soul", and that you sincerely have a passion for truth while also promoting a positive energy no matter just what that truth might be. If it starts with good, then it can't be bad. If it starts with love, then it can't be hate. if all the good is only lasting for the time we have in our human skin, it sure beats the hell out of it being bad and we sure as hell might as well because we know that good only breeds good, and if all that good goes beyond our limited time on this Earth, then all the better.

Regarding the Antichrist, I've always been befuddled as to just what all that means, so I'm stuck running my index finger up and down my lips in confusion, but still just thought I'd take this opportunity to relate my intrigue with your most recent sense of wonderment (which I realize is nothing new for you), yet still it seems that for whatever reason, it's all been dialed up deeper and deeper in your head, and with all of these questions of yours there's never a bad time to ponder them. No matter what any of us believe, I think that there's a common thread within all of us in that none of us really can escape the deep desire to know.

@Science Friction ... Just wanted to duck in here to say that I'm very intrigued by your more recent passionate quest for knowledge and understanding. Just like always I have no solid answers to offer, but still I'm very interested in pondering these such topics, as well as hearing everyone else's input on them too.

Since October 30th you've begun 14 threads within the Religion, Ethics, and Philosophy forum (but who's counting, right? :lol2:), and I can't but help to wonder what has sparked you. Could it possibly have been the eclipse? Somehow you've been touched, and I have to say that it looks good on you.

Your story intrigues me with you being raised in a highly religious environment, then you having the nerve, depth, and inquisitive analytical mind to think outside of that perimeter more so than I imagine many around you have, or are comfortable with.

I'm happy for you that you have BGP as a means to express and explore, for I'll guess that these are just not topics that you can stir up with the random citizen standing in line at your local Walmart. Hey man, same here for me. You're not just a rebel without a cause as there's no doubt that your desire to know is intense, real, and sincere.

Still It's quite apparent that you're a good peaceful "soul", and that you sincerely have a passion for truth while also promoting a positive energy no matter just what that truth might be. If it starts with good, then it can't be bad. If it starts with love, then it can't be hate. if all the good is only lasting for the time we have in our human skin, it sure beats the hell out of it being bad and we sure as hell might as well because we know that good only breeds good, and if all that good goes beyond our limited time on this Earth, then all the better.

Regarding the Antichrist, I've always been befuddled as to just what all that means, so I'm stuck running my index finger up and down my lips in confusion, but still just thought I'd take this opportunity to relate my intrigue with your most recent sense of wonderment (which I realize is nothing new for you), yet still it seems that for whatever reason, it's all been dialed up deeper and deeper in your head, and with all of these questions of yours there's never a bad time to ponder them. No matter what any of us believe, I think that there's a common thread within all of us in that none of us really can escape the deep desire to know.

You're my brother from a different mother, brother!!!

It's all about the quest for knowledge, brother, and it's a sincere quest. All I know is that Love feels right and Hate feels wrong. So, I'm hoppin' aboard the Love Train with the O ' Jays and enjoying the ride.

SF, I do appreciate your quest for understanding. Honestly I've never really given 'antichrist' too much thought. I spend less of my time coming up with end times scenarios and pointing fingers at others to accuse them of being “the antichrist”—and more of it making sure that my life is bearing fruit for the Christ I follow. So as I look at scripture regarding your questions-

The Antichrist---What? All who deny Jesus are 'antichrist'.

When? Anytime

Where? Anywhere

Children, it is the last hour! As you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. From this we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us. But by going out they made it plain that none of them belongs to us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and all of you have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and you know that no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

— 1 John 2: 18-22

When John writes of an “antichrist” in his first epistle, he doesn’t appear in the least to be speaking about an ultimate figure that represents personified evil. In fact, John even declares that “many antichrists have come.”(18) He says much the same thing in his second letter: “Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist!” (2 John 7) In other words, there have always been antichrists among us. All those who deny Jesus are “antichrists.”

I agree with a lot of what kygirl says. The term "antichrist" only appears in 1 & 2 John and refers to someone who denies Jesus as Christ.

I do believe, though, that Scripture teaches that a very influential, antichristian figure will rise to prominence prior to the second coming of Christ. 2 Thessalonians 2 refers to this figure as the "man of lawlessness" and he will seek to deceive the masses, with much success. But this man of lawlessness will be obliterated by Christ's return.

Eschatology is an interesting subject, and well-meaning Christians interpret the specifics in a variety of ways. But the main themes of the second coming are pretty clear.

I agree with a lot of what kygirl says. The term "antichrist" only appears in 1 & 2 John and refers to someone who denies Jesus as Christ.

I do believe, though, that Scripture teaches that a very influential, antichristian figure will rise to prominence prior to the second coming of Christ. 2 Thessalonians 2 refers to this figure as the "man of lawlessness" and he will seek to deceive the masses, with much success. But this man of lawlessness will be obliterated by Christ's return.

Eschatology is an interesting subject, and well-meaning Christians interpret the specifics in a variety of ways. But the main themes of the second coming are pretty clear.

Interesting... I have some ideas. :smug:

SF, I do appreciate your quest for understanding. Honestly I've never really given 'antichrist' too much thought. I spend less of my time coming up with end times scenarios and pointing fingers at others to accuse them of being “the antichrist”—and more of it making sure that my life is bearing fruit for the Christ I follow. So as I look at scripture regarding your questions-

The Antichrist---What? All who deny Jesus are 'antichrist'.

When? Anytime

Where? Anywhere

Children, it is the last hour! As you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. From this we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us. But by going out they made it plain that none of them belongs to us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and all of you have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and you know that no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

— 1 John 2: 18-22

When John writes of an “antichrist” in his first epistle, he doesn’t appear in the least to be speaking about an ultimate figure that represents personified evil. In fact, John even declares that “many antichrists have come.”(18) He says much the same thing in his second letter: “Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist!” (2 John 7) In other words, there have always been antichrists among us. All those who deny Jesus are “antichrists.”

Thank you. I enjoy reading your insights.

I think the Man of Lawlessness that @RandyParker brought up is just describing Satan. Satan is the resister or adversary that sets himself up opposite of God.

I've heard people describe the Anti-Christ as Napoleon, Hitler, or even Politicians. I think the Anti-Christ is just the belief that Jesus did not rise from the dead, so if you do not believe this then you are an Anti-Christ.

I think the Man of Lawlessness that @RandyParker brought up is just describing Satan. Satan is the resister or adversary that sets himself up opposite of God.

I've heard people describe the Anti-Christ as Napoleon, Hitler, or even Politicians. I think the Anti-Christ is just the belief that Jesus did not rise from the dead, so if you do not believe this then you are an Anti-Christ.

Doesn't Scripture suggests many antichrists( possibly, as you said, people who have trouble wrapping their minds around a resurrected Christ) and one great Deceiver who will come onto the world stage sometime before the Second Coming?

Doesn't Scripture suggests many antichrists( possibly, as you said, people who have trouble wrapping their minds around a resurrected Christ) and one great Deceiver who will come onto the world stage sometime before the Second Coming?

Below is the whole verse in context. I think it is referring to the devil himself. I think I am in the minority’s though amongst Protestant preachers.

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.