#1 Trinity vs. #3 St. Xavier (6A State Final)

16thBBall Fan

6A State Championship Who wins?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. 6A State Championship Who wins?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy with a one point win. While Trinity is and should be the favorite, X is a lot better that they were in September. In addition, it is always hard to maintain the dominance that Trinity has enjoyed over the past few years. The X offense has improved to the point where they will score some points. If they are to win it will have to be on defense. I think that Mr. Garrett may have tipped the X game plan and philosophy for the game when he said "I'm ready to pound Trinity next week". When you hear those kinds of quotes from kids it is usually a reflection of something they heard from the coaches. I think that X has tried to develop "pounding" as their identity. Pounding is a time honored and successful brand of football. Is it also part of the reason for the rash of injuries X seems to be experiencing? My guess is that pounding Trinity won't work. You have to catch them before you can pound them. The Trinity kids will have to come in ready to absorb the shot in the mouth X will deliver. I remember the game in 2012. I think that the lead up to that game was a lot like this one. I thought Trinity looked a little panicked when James Quick was injured and they went down 14-0. That panic changed to resolve when the X fans cheered James Quick being injured. Coach Beatty said that when they cheered and his team saw them cheering he knew right then they would be alright. They will need the same resolve this week. They will have it.

I would be happy with a one point win. While Trinity is and should be the favorite, X is a lot better that they were in September. In addition, it is always hard to maintain the dominance that Trinity has enjoyed over the past few years. The X offense has improved to the point where they will score some points. If they are to win it will have to be on defense. I think that Mr. Garrett may have tipped the X game plan and philosophy for the game when he said "I'm ready to pound Trinity next week". When you hear those kinds of quotes from kids it is usually a reflection of something they heard from the coaches. I think that X has tried to develop "pounding" as their identity. Pounding is a time honored and successful brand of football. Is it also part of the reason for the rash of injuries X seems to be experiencing? My guess is that pounding Trinity won't work. You have to catch them before you can pound them. The Trinity kids will have to come in ready to absorb the shot in the mouth X will deliver. I remember the game in 2012. I think that the lead up to that game was a lot like this one. I thought Trinity looked a little panicked when James Quick was injured and they went down 14-0. That panic changed to resolve when the X fans cheered James Quick being injured. Coach Beatty said that when they cheered and his team saw them cheering he knew right then they would be alright. They will need the same resolve this week. They will have it.

X must move the ball and score, brilliant take... but true. Containing Jefferson, I meam Moore, is a nice thought but tall task. After quarter 1 injury of first game, announcer sounded like Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Handoff Moore, pass to Moore, screen to Moore... weapon is an understatement. He gets a bunch of touches then others get involved.

Go Tigers

X must move the ball and score, brilliant take... but true. Containing Jefferson, I meam Moore, is a nice thought but tall task. After quarter 1 injury of first game, announcer sounded like Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Handoff Moore, pass to Moore, screen to Moore... weapon is an understatement. He gets a bunch of touches then others get involved.

Go Tigers

It is simple- St Xavier must rush for over 200 yards against Trinity. They are 11-0 when they rush for 200+ this season. Regular season game, they rushed for 11 yards. When you run the ball, the clock runs, Trinity's powerful offense is on the sidelines. St Xavier cannot scorch the defensive backs like Moeller did, running to their 17-0 and 24-7 leads as Moeller at 4-7 did have above average talent at the receiver and running back positions, leading to long completions over the DBs and long punt returns. Warren Central had big time talent at WRs too as they went for 621 yards total in the 42-41 loss. St Xavier has a 6'5 and 6'4 WR that learned alot about physicality against Cincy St Xavier but they have to have success running the ball. So yes, St Xavier has to pound Trinity.

Here's the problem- Trinity has 7 running clocks in a row. They have dominated in every game since the St Xavier game. No 4th string running backs playing, all of their starters resting in the 2nd half games since September.

Edited by jimmyref

It is simple- St Xavier must rush for over 200 yards against Trinity. They are 11-0 when they rush for 200+ this season. Regular season game, they rushed for 11 yards. When you run the ball, the clock runs, Trinity's powerful offense is on the sidelines. St Xavier cannot scorch the defensive backs like Moeller did, running to their 17-0 and 24-7 leads as Moeller at 4-7 did have above average talent at the receiver and running back positions, leading to long completions over the DBs and long punt returns. Warren Central had big time talent at WRs too as they went for 621 yards total in the 42-41 loss. St Xavier has a 6'5 and 6'4 WR that learned alot about physicality against Cincy St Xavier but they have to have success running the ball. So yes, St Xavier has to pound Trinity.

Didn't Moeller lose their starting QB a game or two after the T game?

Miles Mcbride did not play in the last 6 games for Moeller. He was 21/31 for 277 yards and 3 TDs/ 2 INTs and 1 rushing TD against Trinity. They used 2 different QB's in their win over St Ignatius but their coach resigned after losing 45-0 to Colerain in the 1st round. Their WR's McCracken had the 63 yard TD and RJ Rhayo had the 8 catches including the 42 yard TD and the long punt return. Wills had the 27 yard TD among his 5 catches.

Miles Mcbride did not play in the last 6 games for Moeller. He was 21/31 for 277 yards and 3 TDs/ 2 INTs and 1 rushing TD against Trinity. They used 2 different QB's in their win over St Ignatius but their coach resigned after losing 45-0 to Colerain in the 1st round. Their WR's McCracken had the 63 yard TD and RJ Rhayo had the 8 catches including the 42 yard TD and the long punt return. Wills had the 27 yard TD among his 5 catches.

Just making sure.

St X will have to score 28+ points to win.

in regular season game they could hardly get a first down. A bulk of their passing yards came in the 4th quarter after the game had long been settled.

Kentucky schools have scored 39 points on trinity in 11 games.

Defensively St X will have to stop Trinity and Rondale Moore. St X gave up 35 points last week. A few turnovers saved the day. Trinity's offense is clicking. Nick Bohn has an 80.1% completion rate.

Just to clarify- "couldn't get a first down" = 9

"a few turnovers" = 5

Kentucky schools record besides St X= 51-54 including 5 wins against district foes that went 14-42.

That is like saying St Xavier is averaging 34 points a game so 34 is above 28 so they'll win.

Trinity by 60. Keep believing it.

We're just honored to play on the same field.....

Just to clarify- "couldn't get a first down" = 9

"a few turnovers" = 5

Kentucky schools record besides St X= 51-54 including 5 wins against district foes that went 14-42.

That is like saying St Xavier is averaging 34 points a game so 34 is above 28 so they'll win.

Trinity by 60. Keep believing it.

We're just honored to play on the same field.....

Tell us why this game will be different than the regular season matchup?

I can't predict any differences than the regular season outcome or the 2005 or the 2007 game or the 2012 game or last years game. Until we prove we do it on the field, then it is nonsense. Has our defense gotten better? yes. Have our Wide receivers been more of a threat deep yes. Have we gotten experience at the running back and QB position? yes. But Trinity is Trinity and if no one from Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Kentucky can beat them, should you ever pick against them? Trinity has to beat Trinity by turning the ball over or making mistakes on defense. Santana Jones and AJ McDuffie destroyed us on defense the first game. Trinity by 60.

I can't predict any differences than the regular season outcome or the 2005 or the 2007 game or the 2012 game or last years game. Until we prove we do it on the field, then it is nonsense. Has our defense gotten better? yes. Have our Wide receivers been more of a threat deep yes. Have we gotten experience at the running back and QB position? yes. But Trinity is Trinity and if no one from Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Kentucky can beat them, should you ever pick against them? Trinity has to beat Trinity by turning the ball over or making mistakes on defense. Santana Jones and AJ McDuffie destroyed us on defense the first game. Trinity by 60.

Now I feel like you are just copying and pasting some of my comments circa 2004-2008 when T consistently lost the regular season game (badly) then came back to win in the playoffs. :lol2:

You guys are hilarious.