MLB Offseason Thread

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look at what Trumbo signed for coming off a 40+ homer season. Or Yonder Alonso. Logan Morrison, Lucas Duda, Todd Frazier-- those guys don't even have deals yet. Homers without a really good OBP just aren't expensive right now.

I appreciate your insight on baseball most of the time but are you really going to throw a bunch of first baseman and Todd Frazier against Jay Bruce in a comparison? While I totally agreed with the Reds stance on not wanting to sign Jay Bruce long term he is a much better all around player than any of the guys you just listed. On top of that Yonder Alonso just really started hitting HRs. That could have been a by product of the tight baseballs last year. Imo there is no comparison to the guys you noted. Jay has a career .319 obp and while not what I like in the lineup should be more than sufficient for a lot of AL clubs. There have to be other factors involved here and maybe someone hit on it earlier with him liking it in NY.

I appreciate your insight on baseball most of the time but are you really going to throw a bunch of first baseman and Todd Frazier against Jay Bruce in a comparison? While I totally agreed with the Reds stance on not wanting to sign Jay Bruce long term he is a much better all around player than any of the guys you just listed. On top of that Yonder Alonso just really started hitting HRs. That could have been a by product of the tight baseballs last year. Imo there is no comparison to the guys you noted. Jay has a career .319 obp and while not what I like in the lineup should be more than sufficient for a lot of AL clubs. There have to be other factors involved here and maybe someone hit on it earlier with him liking it in NY.

Trump is a corner outfielder/DH for the Orioles. Look at Nelson Cruz salary. He's been more productive than Bruce and makes just a little bit more. Bruce is not a liability in the field but he's not considered an elite defender so most of his value is tied to his offensive production. Those guys produced at a similar level offensively so the comparison is absolutely valid on the business side. His offensive production is driven by homers since his OBP is nothing special. Homers are cheap in this market. I think I remember hearing that around 150 players hit at least 25 homers last season. Whether it was the ball, the new focus on launch angle or other factors it has driven down the value of power on the open market.

Read this article near the end it says that Bruce signed for pretty much exactly what was projected:

Mets To Sign Jay Bruce - MLB Trade Rumors

So where in the world is Milwaukee coming up with all of their money? Doing much like Cincinnati, then Pittsburgh and now Milwaukee. Make a nice run for 2 to 3 years and then have to start over because there are no funds to support the payroll.

The Brewers were 10th in the league in attendance, the Reds were 26th. That's part of where the difference comes in. The rest probably came from the $50 million that every team got this year from the ESPN/BAMTech deal. The Brewers probably spent it on payroll instead of pocketing it.

I’m not sure these signings and trades put the Brewers over the hump. I think we’ve seen Yelich’s ceiling. Cain is a good player, but 80 million and no trade clause. That one come back to bite them. I guess it comes down to which team is the real Brewers from last year, the pre or post all star Brewers?

I’m not sure these signings and trades put the Brewers over the hump. I think we’ve seen Yelich’s ceiling. Cain is a good player, but 80 million and no trade clause. That one come back to bite them. I guess it comes down to which team is the real Brewers from last year, the pre or post all star Brewers?

Yelich is still a year or two from when most players peak send he's been playing in a huge park. His numbers will almost certainly continue to go up. And they're probably still going to add Darvish or Lynn.

Yelich is still a year or two from when most players peak send he's been playing in a huge park. His numbers will almost certainly continue to go up. And they're probably still going to add Darvish or Lynn.

They MIGHT get Lynn, but financially they can’t/won’t pay for Darvish after landing Cain