Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic roster

Featured Replies

This may work. To play on any HS athletic team you must be enrolled in that high school, pretty simple. If a school only has enough students come out to form one team, then have one team. If enough come out to form 2 teams, form 2 teams. No one, or only a few come out, you don't have a team. Middle schoolers play for their middle school and or club team. Not every school offers teams in every sport.

  • Replies 91
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may work. To play on any HS athletic team you must be enrolled in that high school' date=' pretty simple. If a school only has enough students come out to form one team, then have one team. If enough come out to form 2 teams, form 2 teams. No one, or only a few come out, you don't have a team. Middle schoolers play for their middle school and or club team. Not every school offers teams in every sport.[/quote']

 

That'll do pig, that'll do!!!

This may work. To play on any HS athletic team you must be enrolled in that high school' date=' pretty simple. If a school only has enough students come out to form one team, then have one team. If enough come out to form 2 teams, form 2 teams. No one, or only a few come out, you don't have a team. Middle schoolers play for their middle school and or club team. Not every school offers teams in every sport.[/quote']

I disagree with this overall philosophy, but remember with the age group changes in club this would strand a bunch of kids (8th graders) who will have nowhere to play in the fall.

 

I see no downside to middle schoolers playing on high school teams. In fact, most of the time middle school players give more opportunities to high school students since they increase numbers.

Seems simple enough; however I read a article from Herald Leader re: Magnet schools, middle schools and where those kids play. Article didnt even mention the soccer/football grade rule...

I disagree with this overall philosophy, but remember with the age group changes in club this would strand a bunch of kids (8th graders) who will have nowhere to play in the fall.

 

I see no downside to middle schoolers playing on high school teams. In fact, most of the time middle school players give more opportunities to high school students since they increase numbers.

 

The downside is that they don't attend High School! Let the kids who attend High School play high School sports and let the few super star 8 graders wait until next year to play.

Edited by Theoldguy

The downside is that they don't attend High School! Let the kids who attend High School play high School sports and let the few super star 8 graders wait until next year to play.

 

And if fielding 8th graders is the only way the high schoolers can even have a team at all? Now what?

The downside is that they don't attend High School! Let the kids who attend High School play high School sports and let the few super star 8 graders wait until next year to play.

Wait...what is the downside again? I don't see how it is a negative to have middle school players play just because they don't attend high school. More players, more opportunities, more kids playing soccer. Seems positive across the board. Please explain.

And if fielding 8th graders is the only way the high schoolers can even have a team at all? Now what?

Exactly. Except for a few programs, having middle school players usually gives more opportunities to high school students, whether it's forming a JV team at all or forming a third team (freshman or JV B). It also keeps kids from having to play on 2-3 different teams during the short high school season which puts them at high risk for injury.

So just how many schools need 8th graders to field teams? I will give you the smaller schools Dayton, Silver Grove and the like but the Ryle's, SK, Dixie etc? Sorry just because the kid is good, he needs to wait his turn. Never have I see a Prom Queen or a Student Council member not attending HS. HS sports? For HS students!

So just how many schools need 8th graders to field teams? I will give you the smaller schools Dayton, Silver Grove and the like but the Ryle's, SK, Dixie etc? Sorry just because the kid is good, he needs to wait his turn. Never have I see a Prom Queen or a Student Council member not attending HS. HS sports? For HS students!

 

So it is just schools like Dayton and Silver Grove that need middle schoole students to fill out JV and freshman teams? Really???

 

I think everyone should do it the Cov. Cath. way. Don't you Theoldguy?:jump:

And if fielding 8th graders is the only way the high schoolers can even have a team at all? Now what?

 

Are you talking the entire program?

I'm curious if there are many football teams that are filling JV and/or frosh rosters with 7th and 8th graders?

So just how many schools need 8th graders to field teams? I will give you the smaller schools Dayton, Silver Grove and the like but the Ryle's, SK, Dixie etc? Sorry just because the kid is good, he needs to wait his turn. Never have I see a Prom Queen or a Student Council member not attending HS. HS sports? For HS students!

 

If a kid is younger than most and good enough to play... why does he need to wait his turn?

Are you talking the entire program?

 

No, 8th graders can't play varsity at all so unless it was a new program starting off with just JV that shouldn't be a possibility. However if you have to cut a potential entire other teams worth of players because you can't field a JV team without 7th and 8th graders that is a pretty big loss with regard to developing a program.

HS sports are intended for HS kids and I won't change my mind and I am sure neither will some of you but.....it is the way I feel and have always felt.

 

I will concede the point of the smaller schools to fill out a Frosh roster but honestly, I don't care one bit about the kid in the 8th Grade being a super star, he can wait his turn.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.