Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic roster

Featured Replies

One of the biggest issue I have with middle schoolers playing HS sports, especially when they play varsity sports such as some recent BB players have done is the social aspect. I'm aware there are exceptions but in general it is not a healthy environment to have a 13-14 year old around 17-18 years olds 2-3 hours a day, 5-6 days week.

 

Specifically I wrote,

"Taking HS level classes while in middle school and college level classes while still in HS, you are still surrounded and socializing with your own age."

I did not say colleges do not allow HS students to take classes on the college campus, I'm aware this goes on.

  • Replies 91
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not a healthy environment to have a 13-14 year old around 17-18 years olds 2-3 hours a day, 5-6 days week.

 

By and large, I agree with this.

This always drives me crazy. Kids that have no intention on going to the high school but want to play as an 8th grader because they either are not good enough to make the team or the other school doesn't ask middle school kids. Then their freshman year they go to the other school. Don't use the one schools resources and money for a year and decide not to go. Those kids are paying tuition to the high school for that 8th grade year.

One of the biggest issue I have with middle schoolers playing HS sports, especially when they play varsity sports such as some recent BB players have done is the social aspect. I'm aware there are exceptions but in general it is not a healthy environment to have a 13-14 year old around 17-18 years olds 2-3 hours a day, 5-6 days week.

Why do you think this isn't healthy? I would think it depends on the culture of the program and the example the older players are setting. And in soccer it is a little different since middle school players cannot play directly with those older players, although they may be around them a good amount.

 

Gotcha on your other point. I interpreted what you said incorrectly.

This always drives me crazy. Kids that have no intention on going to the high school but want to play as an 8th grader because they either are not good enough to make the team or the other school doesn't ask middle school kids. Then their freshman year they go to the other school. Don't use the one schools resources and money for a year and decide not to go. Those kids are paying tuition to the high school for that 8th grade year.

In general, I completely agree with you. I had a conversation with a local soccer coach and he was very upfront about it, said they welcome 8th graders that can compete on the freshmen team because it gives them a few months to show the kid how great their school is in the hopes that they end up wanting to go there -- anything to help enrollment.

 

But again, I'm with you, for me personally, I wouldn't put my kid in that situation....it just seems odd to me. But, Chevy's and Ford's, diff'rent strokes for different folks.

Why do you think this isn't healthy? I would think it depends on the culture of the program and the example the older players are setting. And in soccer it is a little different since middle school players cannot play directly with those older players, although they may be around them a good amount.

 

 

 

Gotcha on your other point. I interpreted what you said incorrectly.

 

 

The things 17-18 year olds are exposed to, their experiences, their conversations, etc compared to a 13-14 year old. The difference between maturity levels of a 17-18 yr old and a 13-14 yr old. There is a reason most schools have grades 1-5, 6-8 and 9-12 on different campuses or at least different buildings.

The things 17-18 year olds are exposed to' date=' their experiences, their conversations, etc compared to a 13-14 year old. The difference between maturity levels of a 17-18 yr old and a 13-14 yr old. There is a reason most schools have grades 1-5, 6-8 and 9-12 on different campuses or at least different buildings.[/quote']

Ok, but wouldn't the counter to that be if there is a positive example being set that it could be incredibly impactful for the young players? I think it's only unhealthy if the culture allows it, and that could go for two upperclassmen of the same age in an unhealthy environment. I mean if you have two brothers who are these ages, would you not want them to spend a lot of time together?

 

This is probably an off topic discussion as like I said, it doesn't really apply to soccer. While you may have middle schoolers in the same program as juniors or seniors, they cannot directly play with or against each other, so their time around each other will be pretty limited.

The things 17-18 year olds are exposed to' date=' their experiences, their conversations, etc compared to a 13-14 year old. The difference between maturity levels of a 17-18 yr old and a 13-14 yr old. There is a reason most schools have grades 1-5, 6-8 and 9-12 on different campuses or at least different buildings.[/quote']

 

How much do they interact? Highlands has all 3 levels practice separately. I don't see the 13-14 year olds around the Jrs and Srs much at all. After practice, they all go at separate times. Any socialization would be after practice, and being on the same soccer team has little to do with that. That's just being part of the same community.

Ok, but wouldn't the counter to that be if there is a positive example being set that it could be incredibly impactful for the young players? I think it's only unhealthy if the culture allows it, and that could go for two upperclassmen of the same age in an unhealthy environment. I mean if you have two brothers who are these ages, would you not want them to spend a lot of time together?

 

This is probably an off topic discussion as like I said, it doesn't really apply to soccer. While you may have middle schoolers in the same program as juniors or seniors, they cannot directly play with or against each other, so their time around each other will be pretty limited.

 

It actually does apply to soccer. There is khsaa rule for football and soccer.

It actually does apply to soccer. There is khsaa rule for football and soccer.

 

I think you misinterpreted what @Goal15 is saying.... since there are rules in place for football and soccer... the scenario being discussed is what does not apply to soccer.

  • Author

Agree^^^^ bring on the games.

Wow pretty sure this middle schoolers playing HS issue has been debated into oblivion. I'll get out by referring back to post #46. And I love post #47!

 

Agree with imsays, "bring on the games." Colonel Cup (week) starts Monday August 14, two games each night, Championship Saturday August 19!

CCH travels to South Oldham tonight for a scrimmage and their final tune-up before the season gets under way next Monday vs. St. Henry.

CCH loses 1-0 to South Oldham in their last scrimmage. Scoring is going to be an issue of concern headed into the regular season for the Colonels.

Scrimmage's mean nothing as does soccerama. CCH will be there in the end

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.