Votto or Doggie?

With RISP

Perez had 3408 PA out of 10861 total career PA 31.3% of the time - Hit .284 .364 .470 .834 in his career

Votto currently has 1418 PA out of 5612 total career PA 25.2% of the time - Hit .335 .482 .590 1.072 in his carrer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take Perez, if there was a man on third with less than 2 outs, that man came home on Tony RBI. You all realize, that to win a game, you have to score runs and all Tony did was knock runs in year after year after year.

Need to also remember the talent back in the 70's was much better than the watered down lineups that the MLB puts on the field nowadays. Back in the 70's the players also weren't treated like china dolls, if there was a game, you played, days off, you got to be kidding me.

I will take Perez, if there was a man on third with less than 2 outs, that man came home on Tony RBI. You all realize, that to win a game, you have to score runs and all Tony did was knock runs in year after year after year.

Vottos batting average is like 60 points higher in that situation actually.

Vottos batting average is like 60 points higher in that situation actually.

Let's just wait and see Joey numbers when he plays as many years as Tony did. O, and since baseball is more of a team game, just how many rings does Joey have and in this area who do you think is much more respected by the fans, as a leader and team player! Joey or Tony?

Let's just wait and see Joey numbers when he plays as many years as Tony did. O, and since baseball is more of a team game, just how many rings does Joey have and in this area who do you think is much more respected by the fans, as a leader and team player! Joey or Tony?

I'm not punishing Votto because he didn't get to play with Rose,Bench,Griffey,Morgan,Foster, Geronimo, etc.

Lets look at it from the stats side of things.

Perez

BA .279

OBP .341

SLG .463

OPS .804

162 game AVG - 74 Runs 22 HR 96 RBI 54 BB 109 K

Votto

BA .312

OBP .424

SLG .538

OPS .962

162 game AVG - 97 Runs 29 HR 95 RBI 110 BB 127 K

Frank Robinson

BA ..294

OBP .389

SLG .537

OPS .926

162 game AVG - 106 Runs 34 HR 105 RBI 82 BB 88 K

I'm not punishing Votto because he didn't get to play with Rose,Bench,Griffey,Morgan,Foster, Geronimo, etc.

And I am saying because of Perez, the Reds were that team with Rose, Bench and Morgan, etc.. I had the unique opportunity to be in that Clubhouse from time to time for a couple of years and spent many hours with some team members during and after the season was over during the days of the Big Reds Machine and Perez was the glue that kept the egos of those superstars of Bench, Morgan and Rose in check and focused on being a team and while Votto might have better some better stats you replace Voto with Perez on that team and the Big Red Machine would have broken down due to egos.

By the way it much easier to be playing the game when the season isn't on the line each and every day, meaning what pressure is Votto under to win a World Championship much less a National League Pennant with the Reds.

I will take Tony over Joey, because Baseball is indeed much more than just numbers.

He also would have less RBI opportunities having to share them with Bench, Morgan, and Foster.

One could argue more RBI opportunities snce they would pitch to him versus walk him. On base % might drop for Votto.

Need to also remember the talent back in the 70's was much better than the watered down lineups that the MLB puts on the field nowadays. Back in the 70's the players also weren't treated like china dolls, if there was a game, you played, days off, you got to be kidding me.

I couldn't agree more.

There are arguments you could make for your case, but saying Votto is treated like a china doll isn't one of them. He doesn't get days off...he doesn't take days off...he doesn't want days off. He wants to play every inning of every game. You may be right with hundreds of other players from today, but Votto isn't one of them. Heck, there's been times when I thought they should've given him a break, and they haven't.