Photo appears to show Ky. S.O.S. traveling 100 mph to Kentucky Derby in police Car

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took father-in-law to Lexington to the doctor this week and was thinking about this thread.

Speed limit was 70mph I was driving about 8 to 9mph over so just below 80.

I was passed like I was sitting still over and over by regular drivers traveling in excess of 90mph.

My point is that while the trooper was breaking the law and driving too fast, it's not like he was driving that differently from what you see on the interstate every day.

The excuse " That's what all the other drivers are running, so it must be ok". They are all breaking the law. We pulled in way too many vehicles with tragic outcomes, the higher the rate of speed the greater the damage and more likely it becomes a tragedy. Our son was hit head on, both were driving large vehicles, totaled both of them. My son was not at fault in any way and is lucky to be alive, the driver at fault was killed. My son struggled with what HE could have done differently for a long time. Traveling at a high rate of speed makes it too late to correct anything.

The excuse " That's what all the other drivers are running, so it must be ok". They are all breaking the law. We pulled in way too many vehicles with tragic outcomes, the higher the rate of speed the greater the damage and more likely it becomes a tragedy. Our son was hit head on, both were driving large vehicles, totaled both of them. My son was not at fault in any way and is lucky to be alive, the driver at fault was killed. My son struggled with what HE could have done differently for a long time. Traveling at a high rate of speed makes it too late to correct anything.

I wasn't making excuses. My point is that while everyone is rightly upset about this...many of admittedly or not drive at speeds approaching those daily if we travel on the interstate.

If your son was in a head on collision then he wasn't on the interstate in all likelihood. Driving 90+ on I75 much different than driving it on US27.

Took father-in-law to Lexington to the doctor this week and was thinking about this thread.

Speed limit was 70mph I was driving about 8 to 9mph over so just below 80.

I was passed like I was sitting still over and over by regular drivers traveling in excess of 90mph.

My point is that while the trooper was breaking the law and driving too fast, it's not like he was driving that differently from what you see on the interstate every day.

This is very true. I see drivers going 90 or greater, almost daily. It shouldn't be happening and it's no excuse for Ms Alison's trooper, but J-Dad is right, it's a very commonplace occurrence. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Way too fast, though.

You're absolutely right, mamaw. Traveling at these speeds increases the likelihood of a tragic outcome. Good post. J-dad wasn't saying that it was okay, just that it happens all the time, which it does. I think we all agree that driving way in excess of the speed limit is a recipe for disastrous consequences.

For all of you seeing large number of drivers traveling 90+ mph...got to say I don't know where you are driving because i don't see it, and I travel the state a lot for my job. Oh sure there are cars/drivers here and there traveling at a high rate of speed, I mean you can't escape idiots no matter where you are. But I don't see a ton of it going on as some on here say they do.

For all of you seeing large number of drivers traveling 90+ mph...got to say I don't know where you are driving because i don't see it, and I travel the state a lot for my job. Oh sure there are cars/drivers here and there traveling at a high rate of speed, I mean you can't escape idiots no matter where you are. But I don't see a ton of it going on as some on here say they do.

Set your cruise at 70, 75 even 80 mph and just watch how often you get passed on the interstate. Those whizzing by you when you are doing 75 or 80 are probably doing in excess of 85+

Set your cruise at 70, 75 even 80 mph and just watch how often you get passed on the interstate. Those whizzing by you when you are doing 75 or 80 are probably doing in excess of 85+

Set mine on 71-72...I get passed for sure...also do some passing, but I have few whizzing past me 85-90+.

Set mine on 71-72...I get passed for sure...also do some passing, but I have few whizzing past me 85-90+.

If you are just running at 72 it's hard to gauge speed of cars passing accurately, unless they just barely creep past you. Even then they are probably 5 mph faster. Now think about the cars that pass you pretty quick, even though it doesn't seem like it they are probably doing 10 to 15 mph more than you. Then those that fly by, those are hitting 90+ in most cases.

I'd be interested to find out if the officers were reprimanded for their actions, if true. I was always told that LEO's were held to the same standards as ordinary citizens when it came to traffic laws unless it was an emergency situation.

Doubt that the Derby qualifies as an emergency. If the officers get into trouble, would love to see the spin on this one by Grimes.

I'd be interested to find out if the officers were reprimanded for their actions, if true. I was always told that LEO's were held to the same standards as ordinary citizens when it came to traffic laws unless it was an emergency situation.

Doubt that the Derby qualifies as an emergency. If the officers get into trouble, would love to see the spin on this one by Grimes.

I've always been told that too, but years of visual evidence tells me that's not the case.