How do very small All-A high schools function?

RoyalWildcat

First off don't take this the wrong way, I am all for small schools and do support them, but at what point does it become too small and effect the community or area its in?

Silver Grove and St. Patrick are the smallest All-A schools in the 10th Region with around 30 boys in their entire high school. Both of these schools have public schools in their community (Mason County and Campbell County), as well as another All-A private school in Bishop Brossart.

My point in this thread is how do these schools operate? St. Patrick is a private school that, I believe, doesn't get any funding from the state. How do the teachers, coaches, administration, and janitors get paid? How do they get funding for books, supplies, food, uniforms for athletes, pay electric bill, water bill, heating and air, and fund transportation for athletes or academic team? Yes, I do realize you pay tuition to go to a private school, but surely that isn't enough alone to pay all of the bills.

I was just curious as to how all of this works.

Silver Grove gets Property Tax money from property in their district boundaries and state funds for each student, I'm sure that makes up the bulk of their budget.

As for Private schools part of their funds come from tuition, some from endowments and some from fund raising.

First off don't take this the wrong way, I am all for small schools and do support them, but at what point does it become too small and effect the community or area its in?

Silver Grove and St. Patrick are the smallest All-A schools in the 10th Region with around 30 boys in their entire high school. Both of these schools have public schools in their community (Mason County and Campbell County), as well as another All-A private school in Bishop Brossart.

My point in this thread is how do these schools operate? St. Patrick is a private school that, I believe, doesn't get any funding from the state. How do the teachers, coaches, administration, and janitors get paid? How do they get funding for books, supplies, food, uniforms for athletes, pay electric bill, water bill, heating and air, and fund transportation for athletes or academic team? Yes, I do realize you pay tuition to go to a private school, but surely that isn't enough alone to pay all of the bills.

I was just curious as to how all of this works.

Donations and fund raising events. And in St. Patrick's case, money from the Diocese of Covington.

In small public schools, as was stated you have a few revenue streams. Size of the district really doesn't matter in how you budget, it is the same. Revenues versus expenditures and you must have at least a 2% contingency.

The issue with small schools is how many different opportunities for a divergent selection of courses in high school and class size. In the extremely small school districts some grade level of students don't have enough to make a full size class and split classes e.g. a class of 4th/5th graders is the option.

It can be done and these schools are truly neighborhood schools. The major drawback is the number of offerings kids can take in high school with a real live teacher is very limited to mostly the core courses.

Sometimes these schools use part time teachers to teach a course or grade level two teachers teach the same students 1/2 time each or they have half day teachers. This could save the expense of fringes and benefits.

The support staff custodians, food service, transportation is the same. How many do you need that meets minimum requirement and then budget.

It really comes down to can you provide kids with the minimum required. Maybe not the best scenario, but there are positives.