Kentucky might explore high school football playoff seeding

If the goal of the KHSAA is to get the best playoff tournament possible, then they will seed the playoffs. Something that should have been done a long time ago. If the goal is to make some of the heavyweights take each other out in early rounds, then they should keep it as is.

I think seeding would actually give more teams a chance to advance in the playoffs as the brackets would change every year. Some very good teams under the current system have very little chance of advancing deep into the playoffs due to the fact that they are in the same district/region of another state power. Manual, for instance, has been a top-5 team some years and never made it past the second round.

If the goal of the KHSAA is to get the best playoff tournament possible, then they will seed the playoffs. Something that should have been done a long time ago. If the goal is to make some of the heavyweights take each other out in early rounds, then they should keep it as is.

I think seeding would actually give more teams a chance to advance in the playoffs as the brackets would change every year. Some very good teams under the current system have very little chance of advancing deep into the playoffs due to the fact that they are in the same district/region of another state power. Manual, for instance, has been a top-5 team some years and never made it past the second round.

I believe in 6A, that is the goal.

You could just seed the district winners and then use those Pods (how they are in the current format) to run the rest of the bracket.

My solution was to only take the top three teams per District. Break it into Semi-States and the 4 District Winners get seeded first, 1-4.

Even if you are a weak team winning a weak district, you get a Top 4 seed and a First Round Bye (but now get aligned with the 1 seed for the Quarterfinals if you win your 2nd Round Game). After the Top 4 teams are seeded the remaining 8 teams in each Semi-State are seeded 5-12. The best Non-District winner is seeded 5th and the weakest 3rd Place Finisher is seeded 12th.

If you are the 5 seed you have the luxury of the weakest opponent in Round 1 and the weakest District Winner in Round 2, but you have to beat the #1 overall seed to get to the Semi-Finals.

In my dream world the Quarter's and Semi's would be held at a neutral site. This way if the #1 and #5 (Let' say Trinity and Male) came from the same District and the #5 lost on the road in a tight game, this then gives them a shot on a neutral field to make it right.

This system 1) Rewards District Champions for getting the job done 2) Eliminates the 1/4 blowout games we usually see 3) Gives the best team to lose a District a shot at redemption on a neutral field 4) Eliminates those 0-10 or 1-9 4-seed 5) By seeding the Semi-States instead of the entire State you keep travel down

• 2 months later...
Six is definitely too many... KY is at most a 5 Class State and I think 4 Classes was absolutely correct. With that said, the KHSAA won't want to give up that 6th State Final for the revenue at this point.

I think 5 classes would give us better competition. The 4 class system was stale at best. The 6 class system gives us much of the same year in and out. 5 classes would be a better fit.

Take the 32 teams. Split them up geographically into two halves, regardless of seeding, record, etc. Just group 16 together and 16 together. Then seed those two groups. And have an east/west champion play for a title.