Why girls volleyball became more popular than basketball

dallaslaredo

We had two of our best golfers decide to quit golf and play volleyball their last two years of school. The golf and volleyball seasons overlap,and with our school having a small enrollment it makes it hard to fill a golf team when they make those decisions.

I don't know how it is at other schools but the girls at our school like the social aspect of being a part of the volleyball team. They like the volleyball uniforms, ribbons in the hair, pics on Facebook, etc. It's almost like a sorority.

We had two of our best golfers decide to quit golf and play volleyball their last two years of school. The golf and volleyball seasons overlap,and with our school having a small enrollment it makes it hard to fill a golf team when they make those decisions.

I don't know how it is at other schools but the girls at our school like the social aspect of being a part of the volleyball team. They like the volleyball uniforms, ribbons in the hair, pics on Facebook, etc. It's almost like a sorority.

I have often wondered this, but...the girls actually LIKE the volleyball uniforms they were? I mean, the shorts leave little to the imagination and I have often wondered exactly why they are designed the way they are. Seem like they would be uncomfortable to me.

I have a daughter who played both sports at the high school level and VB at the college level. IMO, WATCHING girls play VB at the HS level is much more entertaining than watching girls play BB. The game seems more fluid and just flows better...more entertaining IMO...

I have a daughter who played both sports at the high school level and VB at the college level. IMO, WATCHING girls play VB at the HS level is much more entertaining than watching girls play BB. The game seems more fluid and just flows better...more entertaining IMO...

Watching good volleyball and basketball are the same, very enjoyable. Conversely, bad volleyball is the same as watching bad basketball.....PAINFUL!!!

I have often wondered this, but...the girls actually LIKE the volleyball uniforms they were? I mean, the shorts leave little to the imagination and I have often wondered exactly why they are designed the way they are. Seem like they would be uncomfortable to me.

The girls spend as much time between points pulling the spandex down as they do with the team greet.

As to the article, it totally gets it. Absolutely the biggest reason VB has exploded and girls' hoops has declined is because of the contact aspect of it. I can especially see it in my region, where the play in hoops tends to be quite physical, and big girls get no favors in the post.