And now the Dems...

All Tell

Start boycotting confirmation hearings. LINK

They brought this on themselves. By changing Senate rules regarding filibusters of presidential nominees. Now they're acting like a bunch of spoiled children. I can't get my way so I'm taking my toys and going home. :(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I dont think Obamas or anyone in recent memory had such a hard time by either party to get cabinet.

Pretty sad on the Dems part and what comes around goes around.

Really????

Confirmations of Barack Obama's Cabinet - Wikipedia

One plus is that Obama kept Robert Gates as Secretary of Defense from George W Bush.

Not so good for Chuck Hegel in second term.

Obama nominated former Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) to succeed Leon Panetta and serve as his second term Secretary of Defense on January 7, 2013.[50] U.S. Senate nomination hearings begin on January 31, 2013.[51] On Tuesday, February 26, 2013, after debate in the full Senate had been closed by a vote of 71 to 27, Hagel's nomination was confirmed 58–41 (1 not voting). All the negative votes on each roll call came from Republican Senators, while 18 Republicans voted for cloture of debate and 4 for final confirmation.[52][53][54] He took office on February 27, 2013.

Loretta Lynch took six months:

On November 8, 2014, President Barack Obama nominated U.S Attorney Loretta Lynch to succeed Eric Holder as the next Attorney General of the United States.[74] After a contentious nomination process, the Senate confirmed Lynch on April 23, 2015 in a 56–43 vote

Secretary of Labor took a while in 2013.

On March 18, 2013, President Obama nominated assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas Perez for labor secretary.[123]

Republicans oppose the nomination because they see him as a "committed ideologue". On May 16, 2013 Perez's nomination was endorsed by the committee along party lines. The vote sends the nomination to the Senate floor.[124][125]

On July 18, 2013 Perez was confirmed as labor secretary after senators reached a deal to avert changing the chamber’s rules and which on July 17 saw the Senate vote to move forward with a vote on Perez, with his nomination getting 60 votes to break the filibuster. The Senate ultimately confirmed Perez on a party-line vote, 54–46

Sometimes I wonder if people step in it cause they like the smell. :rolleyes:

:walk:

You know I dont think Obamas or anyone in recent memory had such a hard time by either party to get cabinet.

Pretty sad on the Dems part and what comes around goes around.

This is exactly what I'm talking about in the other thread. Trump could make a stand and show he is different by forcing the vote on Garland. End this non-sense because right now it is very much "what comes around, goes around"...

It's time to get on with the business of the country.

The only appointment I hope fails is DeVos. She is beyond unqualified in my mind but I'm down with Trump's other cabinet choices.

I think the federal government has proven to be beyond unqualified to rule over education so maybe she is the perfect fit.

I think the federal government has proven to be beyond unqualified to rule over education so maybe she is the perfect fit.

So a non Doctor should head up the AMA?

A non-lawyer should be Attorney General?

Maybe someone who has never served nor worked with the military should be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs?

I have no problem for someone outside of Washington head up the DEA but for a person who has never been in, had a child in, dealt with the issues of the Public School Systems anywhere in this country? Not to mention provided answers or non-answers that revealed little knowledge in systems of Education? No Thanks.

If your goal is to get rid of the agency (as you've stated in the past), that's fine. At least find someone who has some basic knowledge of how to do that other than "turn the lights off when you leave."

Really????

Confirmations of Barack Obama's Cabinet - Wikipedia

One plus is that Obama kept Robert Gates as Secretary of Defense from George W Bush.

Not so good for Chuck Hegel in second term.

Obama nominated former Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) to succeed Leon Panetta and serve as his second term Secretary of Defense on January 7, 2013.[50] U.S. Senate nomination hearings begin on January 31, 2013.[51] On Tuesday, February 26, 2013, after debate in the full Senate had been closed by a vote of 71 to 27, Hagel's nomination was confirmed 58–41 (1 not voting). All the negative votes on each roll call came from Republican Senators, while 18 Republicans voted for cloture of debate and 4 for final confirmation.[52][53][54] He took office on February 27, 2013.

Loretta Lynch took six months:

On November 8, 2014, President Barack Obama nominated U.S Attorney Loretta Lynch to succeed Eric Holder as the next Attorney General of the United States.[74] After a contentious nomination process, the Senate confirmed Lynch on April 23, 2015 in a 56–43 vote

Secretary of Labor took a while in 2013.

On March 18, 2013, President Obama nominated assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas Perez for labor secretary.[123]

Republicans oppose the nomination because they see him as a "committed ideologue". On May 16, 2013 Perez's nomination was endorsed by the committee along party lines. The vote sends the nomination to the Senate floor.[124][125]

On July 18, 2013 Perez was confirmed as labor secretary after senators reached a deal to avert changing the chamber’s rules and which on July 17 saw the Senate vote to move forward with a vote on Perez, with his nomination getting 60 votes to break the filibuster. The Senate ultimately confirmed Perez on a party-line vote, 54–46

Sometimes I wonder if people step in it cause they like the smell. :rolleyes:

:walk:

These were not the first term confirmations. His first cabinet picks slid through easily. 10 were confirmed in Obama's first week. He had trouble later in his presidency, but was able to hit the ground running in 2009. The Democrats are doing a disservice to this country by delaying these confirmations.

These were not the first term confirmations. His first cabinet picks slid through easily. 10 were confirmed in Obama's first week. He had trouble later in his presidency, but was able to hit the ground running in 2009. The Democrats are doing a disservice to this country by delaying these confirmations.

Did you hit the link and read? Or is this reply based just on the ones mentioned in that post?

Secretary of Commerce, 2009.

Failed nomination of Judd Gregg (2009)[edit]

On February 3, 2009, President Obama nominated New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg, a Republican. The nomination initially drew criticism, as it would likely give the Democrats in the Senate a super-majority, assuming Al Franken would be seated from Minnesota (as he eventually was) and the two independents regularly voted with the Democrats.[95] Republican Senator Gregg would have been replaced by someone chosen by the state's Governor John Lynch, a Democrat.

Initially, Senator Mitch McConnell announced that he would prevent an attempt to achieve a super majority by the President. After talks, President Obama as well as Senator Gregg assured that it would not be used as an attempt to change the makeup of the Senate.[96]

On February 12, Senator Gregg announced that he had withdrawn from nomination, citing his fundamental disagreement with the Obama administration on "issues such as the stimulus package and the Census."[

Secretary of Labor 2009

Hilda Solis (2009–2013)[edit]

Solis speaks at the announcement of her being chosen as the new Secretary of Labor; President-elect Barack Obama looks on, as does U.S. Trade Representative nominee Ron Kirk.

Hilda Solis assumed office as Secretary of Labor on February 24, 2009 when she was confirmed by the Senate by a vote of 80–17, although her confirmation hearings had been stalled due to Republican concerns over her support of the Employee Free Choice Act and her desire to reverse the Bush Administration's policies to the H-2A Guest Worker Act[105] and tax problems with her husband.[106] On February 11, 2009, Solis's nomination passed the committee phase.[107]

Since you only want first term examples, will these do? We are what, 10 days into the term and it's the greatest dragging of a feet by a political party in history???

Come on. It's always been this way.