Trump signs Executive Action to "Ease Burden of Obamacare"

I like the fact that he did this to stop what it was intended to. The pen, not so much. He really wont need the pen much with R control. He will use it I am sure. They all do, but I am not a fan.

But its ironic and its hard to rule with the pen as Obama is getting ready to find out. Its easily undone.

Which is what I always said when you guys whined endlessly about Obama abusing his power and signed executive orders. They can be undone and it will be when the opposite party wins control of the White House.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article helped me understand a little more. I never cared about ACA so this is all new to me.

Trump’s executive order on Obamacare, explained by two health policy experts - Vox

https://apple.news/AhvFaFS6YQIygW979Tn7cPg

In particular, the executive order directs agencies to use any authorities within the bounds of the law to dismantle “any provision...that would impose a fiscal burden on any State, or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on an individual.”

The mandate requires all Americans to have health care coverage and it is critical to making the law work as a whole. It’s arguable that Trump could stop enforcing the individual mandate without an act of Congress — just as Barack Obama did in 2014 with the law’s employer mandate.

“Trump is going to have to comply with law,...

A pretty good article overall.

The fact that they bring up the deferral of the corporate mandate is refreshing. Even though they dance around the fact that the action was 100% against the law, just as an arbitrary waiving of the invidual mandate ""without Congress" would be equally illegal. There is no provition to take either of these actions "without Congress".

No. They hate executive orders that they are against. They love them when they are for them. At the same time I can't figure out if they are happy about the executive order or that Trump lied again and got to work today. Not sure yet. Still waiting to see the guts of these executive orders and figure out what he signed into existence.

I read yesterday that he was going to sign the EOs today. It wasn't a secret.

Fair enough. We still couldn't get anyone to explain what the executive order will do.

From the article the core direction was this:

"...directs agencies to use any authorities within the bounds of the law to dismantle “any provision...that would impose a fiscal burden on any State, or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on an individual.”

So even with 2,000+ pages the law is just a framework. The administration elements managing the elements of the law make hundreds and thousands of decisions and policy that never reaches or is reviewed by Congress. Like the EPA, etc. the law is enabler for bureaucrats to create or determine or set, in possible arbitrary terms, regulations; fees; penalties, etc.

So this EO seems to be specifying a direction for those elements that bureaucrats have latitude on - which is a lot.

As was said to me many times earlier today. Many need to own it. If you are excited about this then most likely you've been a complete hypocrite re: Executive Orders. Don't skirt the issue. Own it...:D

After seeing the hyperbole around EOs - especially after 2008 - I did go read some of the more 'alarming' ones. The hyperbole never matched the actual words directly. As just posted above it is probably amazing to most of us how much latitude the bureaucracy has. With that much latitude it seems most EO are meant to steer the areas of arbitrariness a certain way. It seems most EOs given direction on actions, policies and regulations that are enabled, but not specified in the laws.

Fair enough. We still couldn't get anyone to explain what the executive order will do.

Per Reuters:

Trump signed an order on the Affordable Care Act that urged government departments to "waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation" of provisions that imposed fiscal burdens on states, companies or individuals.

It also called for efforts to give states greater flexibility in implementing healthcare programs while developing "a free and open market in interstate commerce for the offering of healthcare services and health insurance."

So tons of 20 somethings won't pay their premiums next month and let their insurance lapse.

I can't see that straining the system at all :jump:

Tons were already not paying it. That's one of the main reasons it failed financially. No incentive to pay it. This EO doesn't really change that.

Per Reuters:

Trump signed an order on the Affordable Care Act that urged government departments to "waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation" of provisions that imposed fiscal burdens on states, companies or individuals.

It also called for efforts to give states greater flexibility in implementing healthcare programs while developing "a free and open market in interstate commerce for the offering of healthcare services and health insurance."

So it didn't actually DO anything. It just encouraged or urged lawmakers to start working on it.