Favorite Speeches Or Monologues From TV/Film

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The West Wing - "Take This Sabbath Day"

After a day of his staff and multiple other people trying to find the way for the President to justify commuting a death sentence, President Bartlet's old parish priest pays a late-night visit to the White House.

The great Karl Malden (who should've played a priest in everything) absolutely owns this scene.

Another great one from Ken Burns. Skip to the 1:40 mark where the speaking begins.

[video=youtube;FN2huQB-DmE]

Just hearing the first few notes of "Ashokan Farewell" makes me want to watch that all over again. It would be my fourth time through if I did. What a great documentary series that was.

Just hearing the first few notes of "Ashokan Farewell" makes me want to watch that all over again. It would be my fourth time through if I did. What a great documentary series that was.

I've watched it twice, front to back, and I've watched a few of the episodes randomly for whatever reason as well. I've watched Baseball three times, and both National Parks and Prohibition twice as well.

I just had to look to see how many of Burns' documentaries I've seen...it's more than half of them:

The Statue of Liberty

The Civil War (x2)

Baseball & The Tenth Inning (x3)

The West

Thomas Jefferson

Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery

Frank Lloyd Wright

Jazz

Mark Twain

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson

The War

The National Parks: America's Best Idea