Hey Warren Central; A word from A Bowling Green fan

Purple Nation

I'm a Purple. My brother is a Purple. My mom and dad are Purples. We eat and breathe Purple. Growing up (and graduating) in the 80s we lived to beat Warren Central and usually did. Looking back, winning State never really even crossed our minds. We knew those big schools in Louisville were going to do that. We just wanted to beat the Dragons and the Dragons wanted to beat us.

Each year, pranks (that were borderline out of control) were part of the pregame hype. Messing with the other teams field, plenty of water balloons for after school cruising on game day. The infamous painting of the Shaunee Neighborhood Tee-Pee still trumps all other shananigans. No matter the homefield, standing room only.

Up until last year, I would have root for Russia over the Dragons.

With all that said, on behalf of many Purples that feel the same way - hang in there Dragon fans. I hate what you all have had to go through. Terrible decisions from both your board of education and your building principals has put you in a no win situation. Literally. Not sure when you can get through this storm or even IF you can get through this.

As much as we hate to admit it, there is a part of us (small part) that is rooting for you. Dont look at the scoreboard Friday night, look at the kids on the field that are wearing the Dragon on the helmit. Root for them. Encourage them.

Again, hang in there. I think we Purples want you all to be good again. It makes the Fall season in BG KY much better.

No predictions for me this week. Respect!

Teddy Roosevelt said it best:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Bowling Green went through a couple of periods like this. In 1958 after a revolving door of coaches BG resorted to starting 8th grade players in order to field a team. The ship was finally righted when Jim Pickens came to BG from Danville.

Another crises ensued when Pickens, in late summer '65, moved up on the Hill to coach Hilltopper baseball. A few years earlier the School Board moved 7th and 8th grade to the elementary schools. Thus no Junior High football. That along with the school board taking over coach hiring duties, the BG program fell on very hard times. It took many years to restart things.