ATF Illegaly Stockpiling Gun Owner Info

cammando

In my estimation, Clinton's primary opportunity to swing the Court leftward is through the current vacancy. I assume Kennedy will be the prime candidate for retirement over the next 4-8 years, but he has his own liberal streak. So, why don't Republicans confirm Garland before Clinton has the opportunity to nominate a justice?

My reading of Garland is that he's someone who studiously follows precedent and favors limited, narrow rulings over sweeping changes. Even if he isn't ideologically a conservative he seems like someone unlikely to rock the boat or break with precedent, thus making him more of a moderate/Kennedy-esque justice than who Clinton or Democrats might prefer (I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism of Obama's decision from the left). It just seems like a tremendous risk for Republicans, especially with Trump on the top of the ticket.

Because they've become adept at cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my estimation, Clinton's primary opportunity to swing the Court leftward is through the current vacancy. I assume Kennedy will be the prime candidate for retirement over the next 4-8 years, but he has his own liberal streak. So, why don't Republicans confirm Garland before Clinton has the opportunity to nominate a justice?

My reading of Garland is that he's someone who studiously follows precedent and favors limited, narrow rulings over sweeping changes. Even if he isn't ideologically a conservative he seems like someone unlikely to rock the boat or break with precedent, thus making him more of a moderate/Kennedy-esque justice than who Clinton or Democrats might prefer (I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism of Obama's decision from the left). It just seems like a tremendous risk for Republicans, especially with Trump on the top of the ticket.

There is logic to what you propose.

In answer to the bolded: the best laid plans of mice and men...

The Republicans saw that HRC was the easiest opponent to defeat in decades but Trump has laid a "raisin" or two.