Armadillos

TAC

Drive to Memphis this weekend. I bet I saw no less that 75 dead armadillos on the highway. Heavy rains, I'm guessing, forced them out of their burrows? Stopped seeing them about an hour south of Nashville.

How far north do they live? Any fellow kentuckians seen any in state?

75? They're probably on the endangered list now

I'm not exaggerating. They were were literally all over the road. I've spotted one or two before but this was unreal. There was minor flooding down there due to heavy rains. That's the only reason I could think of for being so many. After seeing many, I started to look for them.

I'm not exaggerating. They were were literally all over the road. I've spotted one or two before but this was unreal. There was minor flooding down there due to heavy rains. That's the only reason I could think of for being so many. After seeing many, I started to look for them.

Wow that's crazy!

"The North American 9-banded Armadillo tends to jump straight up in the air when startled, thus colliding with the undercarriage or fender."

And---the North American 9 banded Armadillo reaches sexual maturity within 3 to 12 months, and gives birth to 4-8 babies at one time with a gestation period of 60-120 days.

Still have yet to see a live one. Well at least while not at the zoo.

Saw a live one on a walking path in Orange Beach last year. I was able to get pretty close. He was eating, hunting or something, couldn't tell. I probably got to within 10 feet. He didn't run until a cyclist came by.

Still have yet to see a live one. Well at least while not at the zoo.

A live one will play shooting forward for the Brossart Mustang JVs next year.

Tanner Griffin aka "The Thundering Armadillo."