Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armadillos

Featured Replies

Drive to Memphis this weekend. I bet I saw no less that 75 dead armadillos on the highway. Heavy rains, I'm guessing, forced them out of their burrows? Stopped seeing them about an hour south of Nashville.

How far north do they live? Any fellow kentuckians seen any in state?

"The North American 9-banded Armadillo tends to jump straight up in the air when startled, thus colliding with the undercarriage or fender."

75 is a lot. I saw three of them on the roads (US 57) in southern Tennessee and Northern Mississippi during the past month.

75? They're probably on the endangered list now

  • Author
75? They're probably on the endangered list now

 

I'm not exaggerating. They were were literally all over the road. I've spotted one or two before but this was unreal. There was minor flooding down there due to heavy rains. That's the only reason I could think of for being so many. After seeing many, I started to look for them.

I'm not exaggerating. They were were literally all over the road. I've spotted one or two before but this was unreal. There was minor flooding down there due to heavy rains. That's the only reason I could think of for being so many. After seeing many, I started to look for them.

 

Wow that's crazy!

"The North American 9-banded Armadillo tends to jump straight up in the air when startled, thus colliding with the undercarriage or fender."

 

And---the North American 9 banded Armadillo reaches sexual maturity within 3 to 12 months, and gives birth to 4-8 babies at one time with a gestation period of 60-120 days.

  • Author

 

Thanks for the link! That was before my trips to Memphis became frequent.

  • Author
Wow that's crazy!

 

Still have yet to see a live one. Well at least while not at the zoo.

And---the North American 9 banded Armadillo reaches sexual maturity within 3 to 12 months, and gives birth to 4-8 babies at one time with a gestation period of 60-120 days.

 

So second cousin to rabbits.

Still have yet to see a live one. Well at least while not at the zoo.

 

Saw a live one on a walking path in Orange Beach last year. I was able to get pretty close. He was eating, hunting or something, couldn't tell. I probably got to within 10 feet. He didn't run until a cyclist came by.

Still have yet to see a live one. Well at least while not at the zoo.

A live one will play shooting forward for the Brossart Mustang JVs next year.

Tanner Griffin aka "The Thundering Armadillo."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.