Courier-Journal Preview II

Oxnard

The 3A, 2A, and 1A Polls look excellent, but the C-J 4A Top 10 really has me scratching my head. It's about as bad as you normally get from the AP Poll.

Putting the Big 3 as the Top 3 is a no-brainer almost every year. BGP has the order as Male, t, X, while the C-J has it X, t, Male. As noted in another post, however, the coaches in R2D4, who should know the teams best, voted Male above St. X. Interesting, but still any of these three could be picked preseason #1.

It's after this Top 3, however, where I think the coaches voting have totally flipped their wigs. I have no problem with PRP at #4, but I think even the Ram Boys will tell you that Manual doesn't belong in the Top 10, let alone #5. Ballard and Shelby County Top 10...Christian County above Warren Central...someone is hallucinating with Little Abner's joy juice! :rolleyes: :jump: :rolleyes:

The 3A, 2A, and 1A Polls look excellent, but the C-J 4A Top 10 really has me scratching my head. It's about as bad as you normally get from the AP Poll.

Putting the Big 3 as the Top 3 is a no-brainer almost every year. BGP has the order as Male, t, X, while the C-J has it X, t, Male. As noted in another post, however, the coaches in R2D4, who should know the teams best, voted Male above St. X. Interesting, but still any of these three could be picked preseason #1.

It's after this Top 3, however, where I think the coaches voting have totally flipped their wigs. I have no problem with PRP at #4, but I think even the Ram Boys will tell you that Manual doesn't belong in the Top 10, let alone #5. Ballard and Shelby County Top 10...Christian County above Warren Central...someone is hallucinating with Little Abner's joy juice! :rolleyes: :jump: :rolleyes:

I, too, was surprised to see Manual at #5 with so many starting spots to replace.

Much of what I read on-line is what I had already read in the bgp preview. The polls were different and seemed off base compared to the bgp rankings. Are there any other online previews?

There are, but the rules prohibit me from mentioning other sites. Try a google search. :cool:

Yeah OX! I guess those 4-A coaches don't know what they're talking about. I for one agree with Shelby County in the top 10.

Yeah OX! I guess those 4-A coaches don't know what they're talking about. I for one agree with Shelby County in the top 10.

Do you also agree with the great collective of 4A coaches on Ballard and Manual? :lol:

It is a coaches poll. So you'll have to ask the coaches that voted why they voted that way. I guess for them to vote that way is a confirmation that Region two, District four is the toughest district in the state. St X is replacing the exact same number of starters that Manual is. So I guess the presumption is that Manual's talent pales in comparison to that of St X or are they rated that high because they are X.

I do agree Ballard should be in top 10 and I can see why they would rank Manual high, based on the past few years.

Hey, face it coaches votes (high school or college) are always more tilted towards the previous year (or past success).

You say you can see "why" they voted the way they did, but can you in good conscience logically justify it? :cool:

It is a coaches poll. So you'll have to ask the coaches that voted why they voted that way. I guess for them to vote that way is a confirmation that Region two, District four is the toughest district in the state. St X is replacing the exact same number of starters that Manual is. So I guess the presumption is that Manual's talent pales in comparison to that of St X or are they rated that high because they are X.

Even though X and Manual were both decimated by graduation of starters, the Tigers have much better talent coming up than the Crimsons. Just look at the results of your freshman and JV games for the past couple of years.

You are probably the only Manual supporter that thinks they belong in the preseason Top 10.

Even though X and Manual were both decimated by graduation of starters, the Tigers have much better talent coming up than the Crimsons. Just look at the results of your freshman and JV games for the past couple of years.

You are probably the only Manual supporter that thinks they belong in the preseason Top 10.

I agree that it's quite a shock to see them in the top 10, and number 5 is that much more surprising. But I also consider that Manual dropped 40+ points on a couple of teams in the first half last year... I understand that you do need excellent athletes to pull that off, but the coaches have to have some credit. They may be able to put something together with this team. Like in 2001.

I was surprised that the CJ put X as no 1 preseason. Not sure that is the most objective of decisions. Male is supposed to have all kinds of talent returning. We know what trinity is returning from last years team.... I think it should be T, H, X for preseason.... After that, let the fur and clippings start flying... Should be a very competitive year for most local teams.... Cant want to get over all this preseason hype stuff..... Get on with it......

I never said I thought they belonged in the Top 10. I do understand how it could happen though. Manual actually hasn't been slouches these past years. Freshman and JV games against those teams in the rankings above Manual have been very competitive and if I'm not mistaken the Crimsons have won a few.

I'm not going to cast stones at Shelby County's ranking, but could someone explain what they have that was so roundly missed here on BGP (and for that matter at least one other ranking that I've seen)? Both the CJ & Herald have them in the top 10, and there surely has to be a reason, you'd think.

As for Christian County over Warren Central, I don't know really what to think of that yet. Not that it bothers me what they're ranked early in the season, because we all know what happens later on......